ADS Model 300 Speakers

montrecott

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Picked up a pair of ADS Model 300 speakers for $30 at a garage sale last weekend, white with metal cabinets. Finally hooked them up out on the three season porch today. Wow, what great little speakers! They blow the Minimus Sevens away, as anticipated. :thmbsp: They sound a lot like the ADS L-520s I used to have but shouldn't have sold. Small, but they still have that signature ADS sound.... Just for the heck of it I might hook them up to the Yamaha CA-1010 in the main system.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• ADS300.jpg
    ADS300.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 154
  • ADS300a.jpg
    ADS300a.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Wow, what great little speakers! They blow the Minimus Sevens away, as anticipated. :thmbsp:

Yep, great small speakers. I have a set in teak or walnut and they may be the only ones I'll truly never sell as their small size and big sound makes them indispensable.

Congrats on the find!!

Thanks, everyone! After further listening , I am even more impressed. Maybe the best small speakers I've ever heard. Andyman, you're right, they sound so much bigger than their size. If you closed your eyes, you'd think you were listening to much larger speakers. The ADS 300 will be our permanent speakers on the porch.

Great speakers. I've got a pair of 200Cs and the similar powered 2002s and both really do sound better than the Minimus 7s, even after modding the 7s.

I have a set of the L300s that I bought in 1980 and updated the woofer t the rubber surround from the next gen L310 that was a factory exchange under warranty. They are amazing with the right amp and are actually quite amp neutral. In NE, many ADS dealers also sold Yamaha and the pairing does nicely. I use mine from time to time with a CT610II and CA610II Yamaha pair. They also look right with the Yamaha. I agree they are forever keepers.

For $30, you did not buy them, you stole them. Guys pay more than that for Minimus 7s, a far lesser speaker.

Thanks for the reminder, Brian, I still have yet to hook them up to the CA-1010. Right now the 300's are being powered by a 26wpc Sherwood S-7210 and sounding great. I will not make the same mistake I made with the L-520's and sell them. These aren't going anywhere.

Thanks for the reminder, Brian, I still have yet to hook them up to the CA-1010. Right now the 300's are being powered by a 26wpc Sherwood S-7210 and sounding great. I will not make the same mistake I made with the L-520's and sell them. These aren't going anywhere.

My son ran them on the S7650-CP and very nice matchup. I have been pairing things recently and paired them with both my Sherwood S9500c amp and S3300 tuner as well as my SEL200. These pairings were good enough to make the cut and the decision to keep all the pieces for the next round along with the Yamaha set.

Doh! I *threw away* a pair of these several years ago - I bought them as a teenager and even built brackets to mount them in my first car - a subaru wagon. I loved them... then many years later came across them on a shelf when purging the basemen, saw the completely rotted foam and pitched them. WHAT AN IDIOT!!! Ah... still have my Genesis IIs that need refoaming...

Gotta say thank you to the enthusiasts on this site who are an example of commitment to music and the great equipment that makes a difference - Keep it up!

I guess I will revive this old thread by saying that I just purchased a set of 300s that look to be in great shape, just some minor scuffs. The surrounds look fine but I will be searching for replacements, I will also replace the electrolytic cap but I assume its on the woofer and probably won't make much difference in sound. s-l1600.jpg

I am just wondering if there is any sense in doing anything to the crossovers, The electrolytic is on the woofer and the tweeter uses a Philips film cap, I could change the electrolytic caps and replace the sand cast resistors with mills but I question if there would be a noticeable improvement in sound quality, however, I don't know that for sure. What do you all think?

20211103_083630.jpg

Nice find. I got mine for free last week and trying to determine if they are dead. What technique did you use to get the woofer out?

Nice find. I got mine for free last week and trying to determine if they are dead. What technique did you use to get the woofer out?

What do you mean by "trying to determine if they are dead" both speakers have no sound? For the woofer you just have to carefully pry them up, I uses a small screw driver without marking the cabinets, they are only stuck a little and once you get them to begin to lift they come out easy.

Back
Top Bottom