ADS models, an impromptu rollcall

I know this thread is a year old, but other a/d/s owners might find this info beneficial. Anthony of A&M Fabrication, a.k.a. Dean Van Riper, can make stands that look very similar to the a/d/s originals, and he will ensure they are perfectly sized. I see that he has had customers who had him build them stands for their a/d/s speakers. I'm a satisfied customer with no affiliation who had him fabricate a pair for my Large Advents.

My cost in September was less than $130 to Austin for a pair that were custom cut/welded, powder-coated, and have adjustable height rear spikes. They were also filled with sand and then weld-sealed, so they are nicely damped. That's the standard package. Three months on, I can say I love 'em!

Now I want some a/d/s speakers from the '80s.

Yep, these guys are out of Fort Smith Ark I believe, I have seen a couple of their ebay ads and since I just live down the interstate in Little Rock I would love to get in touch with them and try a set of their stands. If I get my hands on those L-810's I will!

I have a chance to purchase one of these along with a pair of L-810s for what seems to be an extremely good price ($150)....

That is a scroe! I have the L730's which are the same cabinets in a three-way format. Those go fairly low, but man, you put a sub on those 810's and THAT will be full range! :thmbsp:

That is a scroe! I have the L730's which are the same cabinets in a three-way format. Those go fairly low, but man, you put a sub on those 810's and THAT will be full range! :thmbsp:

Does anyone know what the difference is (if any) between the ADS 810 and the ADS L-810? I bought these speakers over the weekend but they only say "810" for the model number on the back (no "L" designation.) As far as I can tell the driver configuration is the same. The only thing I can see is that maybe the crossover network speaker terminal plate on the back is a little different, and it has the "ADS" designation on the terminal plate instead of "ADS."

ADS was saving ink on the speakers that did not have the L designation when it is a commonly known model that should have the L. I have a pair of 810s (no L).

ADS was saving ink on the speakers that did not have the L designation when it is a commonly known model that should have the L. I have a pair of 810s (no L).

So, let me get this straight....the company decided to save ink on the earlier models (which these obviously are from the logo), then said screw it let's put an "L" in front of everything??

Last edited:
Thought it might be useful to add some new price sheet materials to what's currently available for vintage ADS documents, and link them all here for future reference.

Previously we had these two useful documents, linked here from the sportsbil archives:

1992 Parts Schedule

1986 Price Sheet

Adding now price sheets from March 1979, and August 1981. These are fairly early sheets and cover a plethora of noteworthy models and accessories.

Enjoy,

John

Attachments

• 1979 price sheet share.pdf
    657.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 1981 price sheet share.pdf
    595.6 KB · Views: 86
Here are two more early ADS price sheets.

John

Attachments

• ADS Price Sheet April 1977 share.pdf
    693.8 KB · Views: 56
  • ADS price sheet April 1982 share.pdf
    615.9 KB · Views: 56
So, let me get this straight....the company decided to save ink on the earlier models (which these obviously are from the logo), then said screw it let's put an "L" in front of everything??

The L indicates a redesign, doesn't it? The L's have the metal mesh grills, at least mine do.

The L indicates a redesign, doesn't it? The L's have the metal mesh grills, at least mine do.

That would make a bit more sense to me, at least more than the idea that the company needed to save ink on an earlier model. Mine have no L designation and have the cloth grilles. However there are later L models that had no previous L-less incarnation, like the L-1230s and L-1290s. I think you are probably correct for the 810s and maybe a few others, and then the company just decided to keep the L designation for all models.

OK I am not reading all of these pages right now but after a quick search has no one listed the Nak/ADS cassette systems yet?

I have both the Nakamichi 550? Deck in 12vdc with the ADS Active 200 speakers in the fitted case with power supply in a 3rd 200 style enclosure.

I also have an Active 200 system with a large external amplifier designed and sold as a car system in the day.

Both are amazing in a lot of ways as were the entire 200 line from the start.

The suitcase speakers would be the 2002 speakers, specifically. The non-powered, biamped 200-series model with the separate amp is the 2001. The 2002 were supplied with the Nak/ADS suitcase systems, and I believe you could select either a 250 playback deck (I did) or a 350 with record capability.

I own all of these, just added the 2001 speakers to the set... I had the 2001 amp for a long time but hadn't seen a pair of the speakers in years.

Also own several 250/350/550 decks... I need to start thinning that collection a bit. These decks don't survive indefinitely when they aren't used.

John

The suitcase speakers would be the 2002 speakers, specifically. The non-powered, biamped 200-series model with the separate amp is the 2001. The 2002 were supplied with the Nak/ADS suitcase systems, and I believe you could select either a 250 playback deck (I did) or a 350 with record capability.

I own all of these, just added the 2001 speakers to the set... I had the 2001 amp for a long time but hadn't seen a pair of the speakers in years.

Also own several 250/350/550 decks... I need to start thinning that collection a bit. These decks don't survive indefinitely when they aren't used.

John

Thanks I have the tear sheets somewhere here too but for some reason blanked out on the model numbers?

I used to sell the heck out of them too!

On mine the deck still works but the speakers need some work.

The 2001 system is just fine and was never babied either.

I used to carry them on the road in a custom Anvil briefcase setup I made for getting kicked out of Hotel rooms!

Oh the Good Old Days!

I took the 2002/250 combo on a few ski trips back then, made for the perfect hotel room system.

John

Hello ADS experts ! :D
I picked up some ADS L470 Bookshelf speakers from an estate sale last saturday. They were asking $40 for the pair, but they came down to $30. They are in almost flawless condition.
I'm not sure if they work but I said what the heck... took a chance on them for $30.
Judging by the cosmetic condition, I'm sure they will work.
Not sure how the grills come off.

Anyone have any info on them ? Year ?

thanks

Pics

DSCF0551.jpg

DSCF0552.jpg

DSCF0553.jpg

DSCF0555.jpg

DSCF0556.jpg

DSCF0557.jpg

VERY nice find !!!!

Congratulations

Hello ADS experts ! :D
I picked up some ADS L470 Bookshelf speakers from an estate sale last saturday. They were asking $40 for the pair, but they came down to $30. They are in almost flawless condition.
I'm not sure if they work but I said what the heck... took a chance on them for $30.
Judging by the cosmetic condition, I'm sure they will work.
Not sure how the grills come off.

Anyone have any info on them ? Year ?

thanks

Geez Rob, How proud are you of your new speakers? This is at least three IDENTICAL posts on AK and some more on other boards. Comeon man let your original post about these speakers be the ONE for you here on AK.

Why don't you subscribe to AK and then you can delete the extra posts. This board would sure be a pain in the a** is everyone that bought a pair of speakers for 10% of new cost or less posted questions, pictures and such as many times as you have.

Geez Rob, How proud are you of your new speakers? This is at least three IDENTICAL posts on AK and some more on other boards. Comeon man let your original post about these speakers be the ONE for you here on AK.

Why don't you subscribe to AK and then you can delete the extra posts. This board would sure be a pain in the a** is everyone that bought a pair of speakers for 10% of new cost or less posted questions, pictures and such as many times as you have.

Guess he is very proud of those and wanted us to know. Nice sperkers! :D

I've had a pair of L10 bookshelf speakers since the early-mid 80's. I understand they were developed and sold from the late 70's -> ??
I ran them abusively for a decade and a half, and finally one of the woofers started making a scratching sound, heavy distortion. I shelved them for quite a few years, until a couple of months ago, when I found a matching woofer (206-0315) on eBay. I replaced the bad woofer, and have been enjoying them again in the rotation since then.

This is the only pic that I have of them:
IMG_5334JPG.jpg

Just trying to get answers.. some people wont see the thread, so I posted in 3.

Those sure are in nice shape, I'm a newbie to ADS models and much info on them, but what I have gathered so far they are well built and sound great.

Back
Top Bottom