ADS plate component speakers- worth it?

I don't know what they are, but it's hard to imagine they aren't worth $15 each. What leads you to believe they are for car audio? Take a meter with you and see if they measure 4 or 8 ohms.

That is the ADS 300i, a plate speaker sold for car audio use in and around 1986 for 290 the pair. Richard So can do things to them if needed and it looks like they need some work. But for 15 a pop, buy em all put the good parts of the less than Fair condition, worn out, rotted foam, ugly, dirty speakers together and have something. I'm sure they could be wall mounted if the cavity was made properly for size=sound quality.

300i Specs.jpg 300i Specs2.jpg

They are probably worth a least150 the pair in nice shape, and way more NOS which these will never be. Had a set in the ride since the late 80s powered by ADS with ADS front speakers. Nice system, kept me entertained when I wasn't using the home rig as much. Still enjoy cranking that rig.

At the price, I'd probably be a buyer since getting them nice wouldn't be much more than surrounds and a tweeter or 10 and lots of cleaning.

Last edited:
With 10 available, seller was probably using them for a whole-house system. At that price you can't go wrong, I'd get all of them.

Sound is sub-par - you'd be buying them essentially for the tweeter which is the less desirable non-sticky dome -

I'd pass unless you were really looking for a project

Back in the 80's I ran a pair of 320i in the front of my Honda and a pair of 300i in the rear. They most certainly were NOT sub-par in any way. I still have the 300i plate speakers in storage.

Back in the 80's I ran a pair of 320i in the front of my Honda and a pair of 300i in the rear. They most certainly were NOT sub-par in any way. I still have the 300i plate speakers in storage.
Still have the car with the 320i in front and 300i in back with a couple 10s firing through the back seat. Nice massage back there at times but I don't get to try it much.

I have a pair of 400i that I am going to run in my garage. The components look first rate and in my application I think having them automobile capable is a definite advantage as I don't usually heat the garage. Anyhow, it sounds like a great deal!

That is the ADS 300i, a plate speaker sold for car audio use in and around 1986 for 290 the pair. Richard So can do things to them if needed and it looks like they need some work. But for 15 a pop, buy em all put the good parts of the less than Fair condition, worn out, rotted foam, ugly, dirty speakers together and have something. I'm sure they could be wall mounted if the cavity was made properly for size=sound quality.

View attachment 1333740 View attachment 1333741

They are probably worth a least150 the pair in nice shape, and way more NOS which these will never be. Had a set in the ride since the late 80s powered by ADS with ADS front speakers. Nice system, kept me entertained when I wasn't using the home rig as much. Still enjoy cranking that rig.

At the price, I'd probably be a buyer since getting them nice wouldn't be much more than surrounds and a tweeter or 10 and lots of cleaning.

NOS you say? How about 2 pairs of NOS never installed a/d/s 300i I have stashed away...lol. I wonder how much they are worth.

Attachments

• ads 300i new old stock.jpg
    ads 300i new old stock.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 41
  • ads 300i in plastic.jpg
    ads 300i in plastic.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 41
  • ads 300i 1985.jpg
    ads 300i 1985.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 42
  • ads 300i.jpg
    ads 300i.jpg