ads speakers/Richard so

mike0565

ADS speaker nut
Subscriber
Have noticed that 2 of my woofers in my l1530's the voice coils need to be repaired. Talked to Richard So today and will eventually be sending them to him for repair. He shot me a price of having the mids and tweets done also. Said that there will be a noticeable difference when done. My question is has anyone had all there drivers done and if so, how do they sound? I'm probably looking at $550.00 + shipping to have them all done. They sound great now. Would they sound phenomenal after?

Attachments

• IMG_20151031_161829336_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20151031_161829336_HDR.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 193
Hi,

IMO if it ain't bust don't fix it. Just get your two woofers repaired.

That is unless you suspect damage to your other drivers.

rgds, sreten.

You say you have vc problems with the woofers? What do you think the problem is? I've also been considering sending my mids and tweets from my 1530's to Richard So to have them freshened up but like you they sound great as they are and I'm wondering how much better can it really get?

Woofers have a rattle in them. Richard said it's the voice coil glue that has deteriorated over time. Woofer is not "blown". It's the coil. $70.00 for each woofer, $230.00 for all mids and tweets. I love my ads speakers and I'm seriously considering having it done. It's going to be a real pain in the ass to ship them.

You say you have vc problems with the woofers? What do you think the problem is? I've also been considering sending my mids and tweets from my 1530's to Richard So to have them freshened up but like you they sound great as they are and I'm wondering how much better can it really get?
If it ain't broke don't fix it. ADS woofers have rubber surrounds which don't rot and the adhesives and spiders seem to hold up pretty well. The domes don't normally wear out either. If they haven't been damaged they should be performing very close to as new. The crossover uses some electrolytic caps which might (but usually aren't) be out of spec after 35 years. I love my L300s but 1530s are in the same league at one fifth the price. If you want to take them to the next level think about bi or even tri-amping them.

I guess I would trust Richard. Send the woofers and if you like the results it may be enough for you to send the others. I've read numerous accounts on here of issues with glue and ADS. He has my mids and tweets from my 1590's right now. They sounded good before shipping them to him, but I am thinking about a longer term. How long will his services be available? I have 910's (listening to them as I type here) I will likely do the the same with here in the near future. The NPE's on my 910 boards were also bad.

You would have to spend considerable $ today to get new speakers this good. For what he does his pricing seems very reasonable.

I sent my 4 1530 woofers to Richard to rebuild about a year ago. One or two were rubbing also. If one is rubbing the others a probably not far behind.
I got them back and after a short break in period the bass is outstanding. Well worth the money IMHO.
I just got my mids and tweeters back for my 980s from Richard and they are also a vast improvement. They had dried out, and I had one tweeter open, so I sent the set in for rebuild.
I highly recommend Richard for his work in keeping these speakers rocking. He normally sends you pics as to what he found wrong and what they look like when done. I know it is a chunk of change, but these speakers will blow you away if they are in top condition.
Send them, you will not be disappointed.
My 2 cents.
J.T.

Have it all rebuilt. A couple of buddies of mine sent all the woofers, mids, tweeters and crossovers down last month .Every aspect of their 1230's improved notably. I was immediately struck by how clean and tight everything got. Another of the gang had all of the drivers done on his 1530's and doesn't regret one penny of the cost.
They have, for all intents and purposes, brand new speakers for an overall cost (initial purchase, repair and shipping) of less than $1500. Go down to the stereo shop and try to find something better at twice the cost. Even if you do, that skinny tower you wind up with won't be near as easy to place in the room as your wide, shallow 1530's.
I happen to be doing some repair and testing of of a pair of L-780's. I've been swapping drivers between the two, amongst other things, and have noticed differences between the two tweeters, the two midranges and the two woofers. I'm pretty sure a Richard So refurb will balance them out should I decide to keep the speakers.

IMG_0493.JPG

I hear what your saying Drogolf, that Richard So won't be around forever. When I get a chance to pulling everything out and boxing them up I will. How did the rest of you ship your drivers? Is there a specific way to do this? I would like to if possible ship all drivers out in two boxes. How do you keep the sticky dome of the mids and tweets from touching packing material? Or is that something you don't have to worry about since Richard is going to re-do them?

They usually ship face to face with a piece of cardboard between them. Make sure they can't move around. Don't want that cardboard going through a cone.

I do the same basically as Glenn with mine. I used a short piece of 3/4" irrigation poly tube that I cut off a larger roll and secured each with zip ties. Wrapped each in shipping plastic wrap.

I got the woofers out, how the hell do you get the mids and tweets out? Popped all the screws, but they are stuck. Tried with a putty knife very gently but still won't budge. I don't want to damage anything or leave marks.

I hear what you all are saying, more than a few times I have thought about life after Richard So, and what I might do, seems that Glen (GD70) has the right sentiment, send them off and hope for years of listening pleasure when they get back. The thing is, I have a few ADS sets, and the ones I love most, chances are that I will never tire of their sincere and beautiful sound. Regardless of what is out there to buy, I REALLY like the way my L980' L880' sound. I have 6 pair of ads speakers, and I will be sending the drivers of my most cherished sets first, and go from there.

A question for Glen, those old domes looked very cooked, well done in fact. Was there a noticeable difference in the sound to your ears when they were reinstalled? My L980's sound great still, and I have a woofer in the L880s that sounds a bit boomy, as well as a tweeter in my M12's that has intermittent interference. I am asking because I do want to prioritize my renewal plan while I am still employed.

As for the OP query, I have had a couple drivers repaired by Mr.So, and they were singing beautifully upon their return, however, It made me wonder if the other drivers in the same speakers (M12)
were equally wore out.

Last edited:
I've taken all of the drivers out of my l1530's and have them ready to ship out on Monday. When they return I'll install and see, or should I say hear and try to do a before and after analysis. If it's worth it, the drivers in my 980's will go out next. Then I should be set for many years to come. It's nice to be at a point where searching for that particular sound is over. I've found it with Ads speakers, as well as the rest of my gear. Hopefully it will be an orgasmic listening experience when all is said and done.

I've taken all of the drivers out of my l1530's and have them ready to ship out on Monday. When they return I'll install and see, or should I say hear and try to do a before and after analysis. If it's worth it, the drivers in my 980's will go out next. Then I should be set for many years to come. It's nice to be at a point where searching for that particular sound is over. I've found it with Ads speakers, as well as the rest of my gear. Hopefully it will be an orgasmic listening experience when all is said and done.
I'm certainly looking forward to your listening impressions. Please post them after you've had some time with them. I'm hoping to send my 1530's mids and tweets out this winter.

Back
Top Bottom