ads speakers/Richard so

Have noticed that 2 of my woofers in my l1530's the voice coils need to be repaired. Talked to Richard So today and will eventually be sending them to him for repair. He shot me a price of having the mids and tweets done also. Said that there will be a noticeable difference when done. My question is has anyone had all there drivers done and if so, how do they sound? I'm probably looking at $550.00 + shipping to have them all done. They sound great now. Would they sound phenomenal after?
I had Richard build me a pair of woofers for a set of 1290's... They where missing. He was outstanding, flawless workmanship, he did them relatively quick to, sends pictures.A little hard to understand when you talk to him if you're not used to him. Vast knowledge. Would highly recommend.

I know this is an old thread... But have to ask. I sent my M12's to Richard for surrounds, as they were hardened, and crossovers, as they were in need.

I have a pair of 1590 that look great (domes on tweets and mids only have a mild dust on the tops, surrounds on woofers look good and supple) and sound unreal... but, I am tempted to send them next. Tweets and mids. I have read that the crossovers will not ever need to be done on the 1590/ll, of which I have, and the only thing the woofers will ever possibly need is maybe the dust caps, but only if needed.

Did I read this correct, or should I send him the whole lot. These 1590 are the best sounding speakers I have ever heard and never want to lose that.

Anyway, thanks everyone.

That is a good question. It is my understanding that the xos and woofers on the 1590IIs are more age resistant than earlier units and will likely not require renewal except for physical damage.
As far as the tweeters and midranges, I mulled that same question with my speakers, while there was nothing wrong with the tweeters and midranges on my 1590IIs i sent them in to Richard. I did not regret it for a moment. The biggest factors in my decision were the effects of age on the components, and the fact that Richard is eventually going to retire or simply run out of parts. For a couple hundred dollars for each pair, I now know that my L1530s and l1590IIs are going to be set for the next 30 years. By then I will be in my 80's and likely not be able to hear any degradation of the sound quality! The rebuilt drivers were amazing, soft, supple and sounded amazing! Well worth it IMHO!

You're both tempting me to do the same for my L780/2's! I have a spare pair of used midranges and tweeters for them, and I think they would make perfect candidates for restoration. I can then install them after getting them back with minimal downtime. I wonder if it would be worth it on the lesser L780/2's vs the L1530 / L1590 models. These are in mint condition, though they are finished in black vs wood, and I really do enjoy them.

I know this is an old thread... But have to ask. I sent my M12's to Richard for surrounds, as they were hardened, and crossovers, as they were in need.

I have a pair of 1590 that look great (domes on tweets and mids only have a mild dust on the tops, surrounds on woofers look good and supple) and sound unreal... but, I am tempted to send them next. Tweets and mids. I have read that the crossovers will not ever need to be done on the 1590/ll, of which I have, and the only thing the woofers will ever possibly need is maybe the dust caps, but only if needed.

Did I read this correct, or should I send him the whole lot. These 1590 are the best sounding speakers I have ever heard and never want to lose that.

Anyway, thanks everyone.
I don't feel the need to replace anything on my 1530s( except sometime the single electrolytic cap).
I don't know the date of manufacture the replacement parts actually are, could be relatively old,
also the limited supply will end and those that do need those parts in the future will be out of luck.

I think I am just going to send them just to make sure. I would hate to be out of THAT luck...

Perhaps call Richard So and get his thoughts first. I believe the 1590's have ferrofluid unlike the 1530's which do not.

Perhaps call Richard So and get his thoughts first. I believe the 1590's have ferrofluid unlike the 1530's which do not.
Good point. I asked Richard about my 1590II before I sent them in and he said the tweeters would definitely benefit from the rebuild. Once I saw the difference with the new domes, there was no question in my mind that I made the correct choice.

Good point. I asked Richard about my 1590II before I sent them in and he said the tweeters would definitely benefit from the rebuild. Once I saw the difference with the new domes, there was no question in my mind that I made the correct choice.
Done and done... they are going next. Everything. These are too special not to. They amaze. I also have 1090 that need to go... bad. I may send those at the same time. I can’t imagine not having either in my life.

Done and done... they are going next. Everything. These are too special not to. They amaze. I also have 1090 that need to go... bad. I may send those at the same time. I can’t imagine not having either in my life.

I know right! I have a couple woofers to send him myself. I just didnt want to be without so I bought a couple rebuilds from him to use while I send these two out for repairs. Nice to have a couple backups in the house anyway.

Last edited:
I know right! I have a couple woofers to send him myself. I just didnt want to be without so I bought a couple rebuilds from him to mouth while I send these two out for repairs. Nice to have a couple backups in the house anyway.
Damn... now that is thinking man!!

If you like the sound of the 1590, then i say dont send the mids. Ive sent tons of stuff over the years, and service much more of my own. Ive had every ADS, including the 2030 and biamped them and others with the c2000 and much more. Ive had, oh...5 pair of 910, 3 pair of 1590, 1290, 10 pair 810 much more 710, have bare drivers and more to show for years of ADS love. The mods for my 1590 i got back, i did not like. Over the years ive adopted policy to never send a driver out for a new VOICE COIL when its simply got dust on it. I sold my 1590 within the first week. I will continue to send drivers but NOT for dust, and NOT to have the coil replaced just because it needs fluid. The tweeter and woofer, all day long. My opinion based on my experience.

Anyway, thanks everyone.

If you like the sound of the 1590, then i say dont send the mids. Ive sent tons of stuff over the years, and service much more of my own. Ive had every ADS, including the 2030 and biamped them and others with the c2000 and much more. Ive had, oh...5 pair of 910, 3 pair of 1590, 1290, 10 pair 810 much more 710, have bare drivers and more to show for years of ADS love. The mods for my 1590 i got back, i did not like. Over the years ive adopted policy to never send a driver out for a new VOICE COIL when its simply got dust on it. I sold my 1590 within the first week. I will continue to send drivers but NOT for dust, and NOT to have the coil replaced just because it needs fluid. The tweeter and woofer, all day long. My opinion based on my experience.
Well now... that is some good info. My mids are simply dreamy. Woofers have no distortion. None. Surrounds are supple. Now you got me worried. If I lost this... what I have now, I would lose my mind. Maybe then just the tweets.

@allhartfidelity let me ask you... how much better were those 2030 than the 1590. I am so much in love with the 1590 that I am trying to get info on 1530 and 2030 knowing I will likely never run across them. But, if I did??? Would I be wise to jump head first at them?

Well now... that is some good info. My mids are simply dreamy. Woofers have no distortion. None. Surrounds are supple. Now you got me worried. If I lost this... what I have now, I would lose my mind. Maybe then just the tweets.
If they are broken, sure. For me, as ive gone through this "hobby" its begun to be about where to stop. For kicks, google my user name, (yes, its all one word) and click images.
Thing is, where is "better" enough? The 1590 wont be "better" it will be different. How is this true? Who can argue?
Mp3 music is not better than an analog lp...

At, playing music while riding my bike. There is no better, there are only poor applications. If you want more highs you can do room treatment, or sit higher at tweeter level, or make sure your switches for the tweeters are clean and in the right spot ect. I recomend at least trying other alternatives before sending FUNCTIONAL drivers. Either way if you go into it with expectations, they will influence the outcome one way or the other .
Mind you, others likely have a similar, or different school of thought. Im ok either way. Want the 1590 to sound different?
Biamp them. They are a beast that way. So was the 2030, 980, 1290,1590.

Well, that solves that... I am not letting anyone touch mine then. I bought them from orig owner and he barley played them. They are the most magical sound I have ever heard. Hell, even my wife told me they better not ever leave the house. She used to hate this audio thing I am into. Just tonight she said thank you for all my efforts because she now likes listening to her records more than watching tv. We are listening to them right now. That is priceless if you ask me.

I saw allhart's Rosewood 1590's after restoration. Amazing and I couldn't believe he was selling them. Somebody got a really nice set of speakers. However, the doping on the mids and tweets was definitely different (looked thinner) than originals he had laying around. Maybe Richard's were better than original! Charles swore they sounded different after restoration and I believe him.

Richard is an amazing resource. He worked his magic on some Braun tweeters for me and I am really happy with the results. I personally wouldn't send in cosmetically nice working drivers though. If these are end of the road speakers you could source some challenged drivers and have Richard restore those as back ups.

I wonder if Richard will retire before he runs out of parts (maybe he's found a new source for the silk domes?). Both scenarios are really bad for us ADS lovers. Hopefully he takes on an apprentice.

@allhartfidelity let me ask you... how much better were those 2030 than the 1590. I am so much in love with the 1590 that I am trying to get info on 1530 and 2030 knowing I will likely never run across them. But, if I did??? Would I be wise to jump head first at them?
Ive had some expensive speakers...
The 2030 was the only regret i let go. It was to my buddy, and i will get them back some day, and I'm real happy with what i have in the meantime.
The 2030 was bad ass. If you found a pair of 1530 to hold you over, then definitely. Otherwise dont be scared to drive 2k miles for a pair of 2030. Just do be sure to inspect the drivers for signs of monkey business. Them Kobalt tweeters are special. Fairly easy to tell if drivers have been pulled as many people use a knife or screwdriver and pry against the front baffle. That, is NO way to pull an ADS driver. .
Love me some 2030 i do.

Back
Top Bottom