Advent/1 Garage Sailing

gyusher

-don't go round hungry-
Here we go again. . .I need one tweeter and I will find the surrounds. . .The original owner thought they sounded great with one speaker with a hole for a tweeter. . . .Rotten surrounds and all, , ,must be something. . .Wish they werent vinyl. . .Grilles are MINT!

Great score. Those speakers deserve to be brought back to spec. :)

Grumpy

A most excellent "pick up", Dude. After the surrounds and the tweeter are addressed, you will really enjoy these....vinyl or not.

Advent/1

There are parts everywhere for these guys. . .I just bought 2 woofers for 13.00 with new surrounds, two tweeters for 10 bucks and another complete set of Large Advents. for 40 bucks . .Not to mention a new surround kit. . .Must be something in the water. . . . .I owned 4 new Large Advents (Walnut) years ago.Remember Quadraphonic . . .I remember them to be a warm sounding speaker that did not like to be driven hard like my JBLs of the time.

That woofer's frame doesn't look right. Being an Advent I believe it should have that hard wooden type ring around it not a metal frame.The foam goes under that wooden ring and makes refoaming them a tad more difficult than regular woofers. Advent would put a 10" driver in a 12" frame to allow for more excursion. Here's a pic of what an Advent woofer should look like. Notice the foam goes under that wooden ring.

Mike

Proac

Those are series II Advent woofs. The Masonite rings were only used on the series I.

Grumpy

Tweeter

This is the tweeter I need. . . .I bought a pair of Advent tweeters but they stick out too far and you cant put the grills on. . .

That series 1 Advent woofer looks ok, but I think HK designed them with inverted surrounds. I have Large Advents' with the beautiful bevelled front edges. Drive them with a KA-9150/KT-7550. I love their sound. Greg.

Inverted surrounds

I put new surrounds on last night, there was mention of inverting the surrounds if you had trouble. . .I had no trouble and did not use shims, none sent with kit. . . .Has to be the Delux Kit. . . .Anyway they sound and work fine but I still need a tweeter. . .I used the tweeters from another pair but they are too large, cant put the grills on. . . .

I saw a paid of large Advent yesterday. The woofers are shot so I passed (and the owner wanted to give them free, he just wanted to get rid of them). Just too heavy for me you know, and too much work (for me) to put new surrounds, I did once before and hate it. I'd stay away from any speakers that may need new surrounds later in their useful life.

Woofers

Take out the drivers, crossovers and toss the box. . .People buy the drivers working or not. . .

Back
Top Bottom