Advent 300 No Worky

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by Superman541, Aug 26, 2017.

1. northpaw

northpaw Active Member

On the Nichicon cap, odd that the datasheet does not fill the box for 4700/50 in its dimension matrix. You can ask digikey the question, or perhaps find the equivalent diodes you need from mouser if you want to order from the same place.

2. Superman541

Superman541 Member

Thank you, Northpaw. It's folks like you who make me feel I can get good advice here.

FWIW, I swapped out the Large Advents for a pair of Dahlquist DC-8s, and I was underwhelmed. The Large Advents rawk, in comparison. My humble view. I would like to get a pair of the fabled DC-10s, to experience.

And for the record, just between us, SS gear does seem to my ear, to distort fairly quickly moving up from low volumes. VERY powerful SS gear does not do this as much, but I have a strong preference for tube gear, at all volumes. My humble opinion. So far as the systems I have heard. In my 60 years. It is my birthday today.

3. Ballylongford

Ballylongford AK Subscriber Subscriber

Happy birthday.
    :beerchug:

4. northpaw

northpaw Active Member

Glad I could help out, and Happy Birthday.

I had the Advent 300 paired with OLAs for at least 10 years (late 70s to late 80s), and they are a very good pairing. I'm not one for blasting, so I did not experience harshness with this setup. I've never had any tube gear, so I can't compare the relative virtues. Ditto for Dahlquist speakers, but there are some very strong proponents here for at least some Dahlquist models and I have no doubt that some of them are great performers.

In the late 80s I went for more power with a NAD 7240PE in my main system. It was more powerful and while very good, I felt it was otherwise a lateral move from the Advent. More recently, I acquired a few Nak SR or TA series receivers, and feel they are a step up, but like the NAD, have a far larger chassis than the Advent. At any time I will have one of those Nak receivers paired to DCM-TF400s for a "second" system connected to a turntable, and a "main" system consisting of an Adcom GTP-450 and a Nak PA-5 paired to ADS L730s.

Bottom line, I think it is hard to beat the Advent 300 for a small-form receiver. The only one that I've had that is competitive is a NAD 7225PE.

5. Superman541

Superman541 Member

Yup, this thing does really well. I'm pretty sure it will be in service, somewhere in my house or garage, forever.

I need to get an order in, for the filter caps and the diodes. I've been lazy, busy or both. Here is a simple question: Will this unit sound better with fresh filter caps, upgraded to 4700uf from 3000uf?

6. Alan0354

Alan0354 Super Member

Questionable, but it's the right thing to do.

I am hoping the diode will prevent the transistors from deep saturation and recover faster and hope you can hear the difference.

7. sregor

sregor AK Subscriber Subscriber

As Alan says, questionably, but the original caps weren't that great, and were mechanically a problem. Whether or not you change them, make sure the caps get securely tie-wrapped into position, as the leads breaking off the filter caps was another common problem. My 2 cents.

8. northpaw

northpaw Active Member

Those two caps have to be replaced, they're leaking. If they are not affecting the sound yet, they will soon. They will loose their ability to effectively filter AC, and you will get more and more ripple on the DC rails. This will give you hum on the output, and expose other components to increasing AC where they are designed for fairly clean DC.

That is why, back in post #8, I asked you to use your DMM to measure AC across the caps, as that is a measure of how much degradation has gone on. Now that you have sound, my guess is not much degradation yet, because you are not complaining about the sound. So I don't know if you would notice any improvement in sound with the replacement at this time (I did not when I changed my non-leaking ones), but sure as rain, the problem will come. Not replacing them would be sort of like leaving leaking batteries in your flashlight as you head out for a camping week because the light is still working...

You can go with 3000µF or up to 4700µF; which one is not likely to affect the sound.

Remember to pick up some desoldering braid, and one of those rosin flux pens (both available on the big river site, if not at digikey or mouser), as they will help you a lot with soldering.