Advent "fried egg" tweeter questions

Wildcat

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Admin
Subscriber
I have a pair of the Advent tweeters I am considering selling. These are the green "fried egg" style. When I flirted with owning a pair of Small Advents (or whatever they were called), the highs were somewhat muffled, to the point of immediately pulling these out and puting in some spare cloth dome tweeters I had around, which by some dumb luck, actually worked well. The speakers have long been sold off.

I realize these are somewhat in demand, but...how can I tell if they are really any good or not? They did not have much output, although I also realize these Advents were inefficient speakers to begin with.

Are these rebuildable at all? I had thought I read of someone rebuilding these in the past, but my memory isn't what it used to be. I don't even know how to test these as I have no means to compare them.

I guess I am wondering, overall, if I should even bother trying to sell these vs. sending them to the dumpster. If they're good, or rebuildable, someone might have use of them. And if that's the case, why dump them?

Sometimes a bad crossover can make the tweeter sound like they are muffled or dead. Just try hooking up speaker wire right to the tweeter and see how it sounds. (low volume!)

if you have someone who has a pair have them swap them in, see if they work...if not toss them...no point selling something to someone if you don't know if they work...it could become a hassle...

Sometimes a bad crossover can make the tweeter sound like they are muffled or dead. Just try hooking up speaker wire right to the tweeter and see how it sounds. (low volume!)

That didn't occur to me at the time. When I bought them, it was 1995. I recall when the speakers arrived at work, I "snuck" them over to the house my ex and I were moving to. ;) I haven't had them in maybe three years now. The cloth domes I used were more efficient, and were also 4-ohms, but they balanced in the Advents nicely. Makes me think there may have been some merit to the crossover being screwy somehow.

I may try playing them through a different crossover to see what happens.

if you have someone who has a pair have them swap them in, see if they work...if not toss them...no point selling something to someone if you don't know if they work...it could become a hassle...

When I sold the speakers, the buyer indicated that he worked on Advent speakers, and would buy those tweeters if I ever found them, even if they were not fully functional.

I did find this related discussion:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/large-advent-fried-egg-tweeters

I just read about how the green fried egg tweeters are more laid back than the orange ones. It doesnt surprise me you thought they were hardly working. Lol
I see them on ePay for about 25 bucks a piece or so.
I would test them with a multimeter and then with an amp. Why not let someone else enjoy them instead of tossing them?

If I knew they were working properly, I would list them. ;) I don't want to deal with a refund or return.

I wish I knew someone with a pair, as I'd compare them to see how well they worked. They do emit sound. It's just the amount that is in question. If the green versions are "laid back," these sounded like they were almost fully reclined. :D

Originally, the green tweeters were less efficient than the orange ones but it had nothing to do with the color. The green ones used in the Smaller Advents had a smaller magnet (2.5" square instead of 3" square) than the orange ones used in the original Advent Loudspeaker (large Advent) so they would match the lower efficiency of the Smaller Advent woofer. I'm sure Advent just decided to color them green for quick identification in the factory.

Later, Advent decided to use a crossover change to compensate the tweeter, instead of the smaller magnet, and used the same larger magnet as on the large Advent. For a period of time, in 1975, there were large Advents with green tweeters too but they were the same as orange ones. Advent just decided to use up all of the green cones. After all the green cones were used, both Advent Loudspeakers and Smaller Advent Loudspeakers had orange tweeters with the large magnet.

Doug

Originally, the green tweeters were less efficient than the orange ones but it had nothing to do with the color.
OK cool, that may partly explain why mine had a weak output. And I agree that they probably originally color coded them for ease of assembly.

Back
Top Bottom