Advent Large value

is 575.00 too much for 4 large advents restored

• good value

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • too much

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

Brick3

I found 4 advent large with the Bull nose front . they look and sound great but i dont want to over pay for them are they worth 575.00

Attachments

• IMG_1592.JPG
    IMG_1592.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1591.JPG
    IMG_1591.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 49
Around 100$ a pair is a good price for Large Advents. I have bought (and sold) 3 pairs around that price.
Maybe bump it up to 125$ a pair if they are refoamed.

The ones you show look like they have new grill cloth. Have they been recapped also?
If you are willing to pay extra for that bump it up to 150$ a pair.

Large Advents are very common, and very easy to work on.

For 575$ you can get some pretty decent speakers

I see the utility cabinet models in that range and for the 100 range they are usually kind of beat up and needing foams. grill covers are new. and caps are original . thanks for taking the time to reply, wasnt sure if the wanut veneer cabs and bull nose raised the value

The price seems to be a high, but that veneer, the grills and the condition is amazing.
I did not know that Advent were THAT inexpensive.

If you can get a better price seems like a good deal to me, given the condition. But I'm very fond of those speaker, so I'm biased.

I have found the walnut veneered version here in FL, and in upstate NY for 100$ or less per pair. Those were needing a refoam.

The utility versions I have bought for 50$ a pair.

I ran stacked pairs of large Advents for a while. They are kinda what got me back into HiFi.

Last edited:
If they have been restored correctly, they are worth it. Sometimes I think there's a bit too much emphasis placed on money. How many times are you going to find four restored Advents in one place. You usually would have to spend time looking for four individual ones in the same shape.

Most of them need a lot of cosmetic restoration and/or surround replacement. Most are just not in real good condition. With these, you are paying for the work that's been done on them and they look very good.

Doug

I agree with Doug. What I paid has little to do with intrinsic value especially if you have liitle time or interest to restore them yourself.

I actually paid $40 CAD for a beautiful pair of original walnut Advents but that's so random that it seems only worth mentioning as a form of gloating, which I'm not doing.

It's OK, you can gloat. That was an incredible price. The cheapest I got a pair of walnuts for was $60 (no shipping as I picked them up in town).

Turned out they are very early (early 1970) ones and the guy's parents lived right down the street from Advent when they bought them in Cambridge.

Hehe, Yes, I am gloating (a bit).

Doug

Thanks to everyone for their input . In western PA the prices are around 150-200 for utility cabs and most are kind of rough some are decent. I tend to think that it's money being spent on the work done and finding 4 at one shot. Thanks again . Oh sorry I posted on wrong forum this was my 1st post . I really do like this site I peruse it often it's a great place to get some honest opinions

They were commanding big money, like over $300 a pair, some years back. They have somewhat of a cult following that drove up prices. These are some real pretty ones. They were also a zillion of them sold. Since so many were made they often are found dirt cheap at yard sales and thrifts.
Since these appear to be excellent examples of one of their most desirable models you are paying full value but not necessarily over-paying. I think you can get more speaker for the money but they will make you happy.

Those appear to be the original walnut loudspeaker which is chamfered, not bullnose. The advent primer on ak is wrong iding them as bullnose. The bullnose is the rounded edge of the New Advent Loudspeaker.

That price seems to pay for new grille cloth, caps and surrounds all in nice cabinets. Save time and trouble collecting two pair and getting them right.

Back
Top Bottom