Advent Loudspeaker...What makes them so "perfect"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compman55

Overall they look like they were made crappy in workmanship, and they have a fried egg tweeter and a very basic woofer + hand built crossover. Yet they sound better than any speaker I have seen custom built for twice the price with twice the amount of components. Simply amazing.

So I guess I have to ask how they get that sound of just 2 drivers (woofer / tweeter)? Where is the magic?

Can somthing like this be built from scratch to sound as good today?

Well, since sonic preference is subjective it's hard to say what you might consider better. But, in my opinion, yes, better speakers can be scratch built but whether you can do that for same or less cost than an old, used pair of speakers is a different matter.

If you find the magic, send it this way. When I listen to them, I hear overly boomy bass unless placed on a stand well away from any boundaries and even then, it's still too much boom for my tastes. I don't even want to get started on that tweeter.

The "made crappy in workmanship" phrase is something I disagree with. My OLA's imo are awesome in the workmanship category. As far as sounding great, this is why Kloss and his team are such icons. Marketed as an affordable competitor to the pricey brands.

They are far from perfect, especially in terms of treble performance. They do however, offer good performance for the price for which they originally sold. Very good bass performance, acceptable mids, but some harshness in the treble. Treble dispersion is also not up to par with some better, albeit much more expensive speakers. Imaging is only so-so, with little depth in terms of sound stage. Keep in mind that these speakers in utility cabinets, originally sold for just over a hundred bucks. For that money you couldn't do much better at the time.

The "made crappy in workmanship" phrase is something I disagree with. My OLA's imo are awesome in the workmanship category. As far as sounding great, this is why Kloss and his team are such icons. Marketed as an affordable competitor to the pricey brands.

+1

My OLA's and my NLA's are built very well (both are of the walnut variety).

IMO the NLA woofers are tighter than the masonite OLA's.

Advent.jpg

There is nothing perfect about them at all; indeed they're quite flawed, even when compared to other products in their legacy (AR-3, KLH 6, CSW Six, etc.). They were relatively inexpensive, broadly marketed and distributed and they delivered reasonably good price/performance value (especially the Utility model). Other companies in the mid-1970s (notably Polk Audio) did significantly better at delivering no-frills but accurate and satisfying sonic performance at budget prices than did the OLA and its siblings and descendants.

origpolkmonitorspecs.jpg

EDIT: oh, and I always count Tom as an iconoclast (and I mean that as a compliment)!

Really? I'm not a Kloss apologist but I was under the impression that he and his contributions to audio were highly regarded?

As a businessman perhaps, he sold lots of speakers. In any event when I think of an icon I think of religious imagery not businessmen; the Black Madonna of Częstochowa for instance.

I mis-stated. What I meant to say is that they were not cosmetically nice in workmanship internally. Like the glue around the fried egg tweeter, the big ring around the woofer. All stuff that gets covered up anyways.

Way back when, I was looking to buy my first real “hi fidelity speaker”. The contenders came down to two. They were the Large Advent and the Infinity Monitor Jr. This was based initially on audio magazine reviews and then actual auditioning and of course price. I was able to hear them side-by-side and chose the Infinity. It was easy to hear that it sounded noticeably better than the Advent and gave up nothing to it in bass response.

Attachments

• Infinity Monitor Jr.JPG
    Infinity Monitor Jr.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 257
haven't heard large advents, but had smaller advents. I'd put them in the "very good" category. they aren't quite as airy on the top end as I'd like...found some AR holographic M5's, so I sold the SA's to make room (and funds) for the M5's for my office system.

I think coupling the SA woofer with a better tweet would have been interesting, maybe the Roy Allison designed tweet used in the AR18 (one of my favorites), or a modern dome with a Fs in the 600-800hz range, crossed over at about 1800 with a 3rd order network...

mine were too nice to hack up, though.....

Pat, I added Dayton reference tweeters that fit into your description to large advents. That in combination with some aperiodic vents I suspect will show some real promise.

Advent's sales record is even more impressive if you consider the dynamics of the retail scene.

In the 70s, there was practically a stereo shop on every corner. The Advents were a relative bargain at the retail price, but there were a lot of cowboys (and I don't mean that disparagingly) who routinely slashed the price to take business away from the next store down the street.

So the profit margin was slim. Some dealers were true believers, but more of them would try to sell you a different brand (selling "against" the Advent) once you were in the building.

Also, Advent's (and many other brand's) distribution was loose to say the least. Pretty much any store proprietor could get Advents anytime they wanted some, from another dealer who had over-bought in order to get a better price.

This led to all sorts of shenanigans. One of the biggest stores in my area was not an Advent dealer, but kept a pair on display, albiet on the top shelf of a staircase type of display, where the customers couldn't reach them. They had the speakers on the shelf upside down, but with the grilles mounted rightside up. So the big hole in the grille frame was in front of the tweeter, and the tiny tweeter hole was blocking most of the woofer.

And the salesman would say, sure, we have "the Advent", but you really should compare them to these other speakers first... with the outcome pretty much pre-determined.

The pics that MrH posted were from a Tech HiFi ad (big chain in the northeast). It wasn't unheard of for one of their sales people to break the air seal on the Advent demos. It was all about the $$$.

As a contrarian I could always name a speaker or two that I liked better. But at the price they sold for, the value was undeniable.

Would've been even better if it weren't for that damn foam.

That damn foam was a piece of the performance equation and I wouldnt be surprised if it was chosen for reasons other than simply cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom