Advent OLA woofer barking

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KingJT, Jan 11, 2019.

1. KingJT

KingJT the sound resounds around... Subscriber

I'm looking at a pair of OLAs my friend refoamed and one of the woofers has something off.
    When playing normally, one speaker has a barking distorted sound that actually worsens as you lower the volume.
    If you apply a bit of pressure to the cone, it cleans up and sounds great.
    If you flex the cone without any music playing you do not hear any rubbing.
    If you gently tap the cone, you can hear a vibration at roughly the same frequency as the barking.
    I've swapped woofers, rotated them 180° and made sure nothing inside the cab is rubbing the backside of the cone.
    My guess is a bad refoam but wanted to throw it out there for confirmation and to see if there was a likely area that was the problem.
    These are the first OLAs I've heard and they sound like they have the potential to be really nice.

Thanks as always.
    Mike

Please register to disable this ad.

2. WaynerN

WaynerN AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sounds like the spider or VC are out of position. You may very well be correct, a bad alignment during the recone process.

KingJT likes this.
  3. 1rebmem

1rebmem AK Subscriber Subscriber

Check that the spider is glued to the cone all the way around.
    I recently had a KLH woofer making noise and found the spider partially separated from the cone.

Jef

WaynerN likes this.
  4. f0427ea

f0427ea Active Member

check that the spider is still glued to the former , just did a pair recently , one was completely separated , ripped from the former the other was partially separated IMG_4822.JPG IMG_4826.JPG 5 min. epoxy fixed it right up IMG_4843.JPG

5. KingJT

KingJT the sound resounds around... Subscriber

This seems promising. Thanks for the ideas!

6. 1rebmem

1rebmem AK Subscriber Subscriber

That loctite is the same stuff I used to re-glue my KLH woofers, works good due to the extension tubes.

Also be careful messing around in there, you don't want to end up with a broken voice coil wire in the area where it transitions to the cone.
    Happened to me. Somewhere in the repair process, moving the cone up/down or during re-gluing, I ended up with an open woofer. But didn't discover it till after the speakers were reassembled. Had to sent that woofer out for repair.

Jef

KingJT likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.