Adventures w/ the Almarro A318a

BrianB said:
I know that the horse I'm flogging here is almost dead, but ... well, just what DOES this tell us?

It tells ME that Almarro is sick of losing money in the States. On the surface, this policy may seem to suck royally. However, at least half of the manufacturers that I represent have a comparable policy: If the unit is not purchased from an authorized dealer, then there is no warranty.

In my opinion, such a policy makes sense. And here you have a situation where a non-authorized dealer sold someone a pre-production unit that was never even paid for! While it would be great if Almarro could offer their full service plan for this unit, this would essentially be asking the company to pay twice for the unit: Once for the amp itself (payment never sent by the dealer), and once for the repair.

IMO, the dealer should offer to cover any upgrade/repair expenses, as they didn't spend a dime on the unit, and whatever you paid them was pure profit.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian;
You misunderstood me. I was pointing out that it appeared that these demo units were not free and the dealer was suppose to pay for them if he kept them. ;)

BrianB said:
Hello again!

Given all that you've been through with this amp, these are some VERY kind words.

I am currently working with Almarro to improve their dealer network in the States. And as it turns out, your situation is not entirely unique (although, thankfully, there are only a couple of other similar situations that we are dealing with). But please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out ... and to convince you to keep the Almarro in your system!

All my best,
Brian

It's the truth also. :) I've had as many amps as the next guy within a 30+ year period. Never have I been totally satisfied to the point of thinking "this is the one." I've cooled down a bit and have decided to keep the amp. Actually; it was the love affair for this amp that put me in such turmoil.

I just wish I could get this thing repaired and go on enjoying music. I'm still concerned about waivering bias problems and if they can be repaired???

Does anyone else have the 318A version with 2) 6H9C tubes? Hiro claims that some dealers prefer this combo so he made it one of the versions. I haven't seen or heard of another having two of these tubes like my amp. Can I substitute 1) 6SL7 and 1) 6SN7 instead? Will this change output tube bias? Thanks!

Dsrttuber said:
I'm still concerned about waivering bias problems and if they can be repaired???
You should be concerned!!! Please do not use this amp until it is properly set up. It is an easy modification to the amp to add self or fixed bias w/ the bias pots in an excessable position. The bias testing points are easy to install, also. Really simple stuff for an experienced tech.

As a perfect example of ehat can happen in your amp's current state - Last week, my Audion Sterling ETSE integrated SET burned up due to an output tube bias running wild(internal failure?) and drawing too much current which then took out the other channel. It literally torched the EL-34 ultralinear resistor, both channel's 7 watt cathode resistor, and literally exploded the cathode capacitors leaving the PCB seriously burned in that spot. Not mention, my fairly new JJ/Tesla (200 hours)EL-34's are toast. I still need to check if the output transformers were trashed, too.

If the tranni's are wrecked, then the damage exceeds the worth of the amp. It's esssentially a boat anchor at that point. So, don't risk wrecking the entire amp for a few hours enjoyment. Your amp can easily suffer the same demise.

BTW, when the cathode capcitors blew, it was so loud that I could clearly hear the "Pop!" downstairs in another room. It took me 15-30 seconds to realize what might have happened, then run upstairs, by that point there was a lot of smoke rising out of the amp leaving my entire house stinking for the rest of the day.

The upside is that I was planning on rebuilding the 10 year old amp with point-to-point wiring and better components, anyway. Just too lazy to ever get around to it. Now, I have no choice (as long as the tranni's are still good).

Whole board:
board2.jpg

Left Channel:
left.jpg

Right Channel:
right.jpg

Dsrttuber said:
Does anyone else have the 318A version with 2) 6H9C tubes? Hiro claims that some dealers prefer this combo so he made it one of the versions. I haven't seen or heard of another having two of these tubes like my amp. Can I substitute 1) 6SL7 and 1) 6SN7 instead? Will this change output tube bias? Thanks!
i have audio mirror amps that use 6c33c power tubes, w/6h9c input & 6h8c driver tubes. 6sl7 is the substitute for 6h9c, & 6sn7 is the substitute for the 6h8c. i wouldn't substitute a 6sn7 for the 6h9c.

hth,

doug s.

Wow! I bought one of those amps new years ago. It was a very nice amp for the price, but I wasn't happy with it on rock tracks. I tried many different speakers at the time, but couldn't seem to make a match.

I'm still hoping to hear from the US repair guy about my amp. I checked bias again the other day and have both tubes set at .23v DC. There's got to be someone local who can work on this amp, but I've been out of the loop for so long.

doug s. said:
i have audio mirror amps that use 6c33c power tubes, w/6h9c input & 6h8c driver tubes. 6sl7 is the substitute for 6h9c, & 6sn7 is the substitute for the 6h8c. i wouldn't substitute a 6sn7 for the 6h9c.

hth,

doug s.

This makes me wonder if my amp should really have two 6H9C tubes or not.

Dsrttuber said:
Wow! I bought one of those amps new years ago. It was a very nice amp for the price, but I wasn't happy with it on rock tracks. I tried many different speakers at the time, but couldn't seem to make a match.

I'm still hoping to hear from the US repair guy about my amp. I checked bias again the other day and have both tubes set at .23v DC. There's got to be someone local who can work on this amp, but I've been out of the loop for so long.
are you referring to my audio mirror 6c33c monoblock amps? they have been updated quite a bit since "years ago". mine have much bigger c-core trannies, later ones have toroids, the latest have a semi-auto bias feature (not sure what that is, to be honest.) i had mine updated to be able to adjust bias from the top of the amp. these things rock on rock! ;) at least they do w/proac tablette 8 signatures, coincident victory's, & from ~280hz up on vmps rm40's. also note that i have always used subs, crossed over to my mains at ~60hz...

i have been wery interested in the almarro's, which is why i am following this thread, but i am more interested in their 5wpc set 205mkll, cuz my victory's are 97-db efficient.

best,

doug s.

Dsrttuber said:
This makes me wonder if my amp should really have two 6H9C tubes or not.
no way i can answer *that* one. :scratch2: i yust know one tube is basically a 6sn7 & the other is a 6sl7...

good luck,

doug s.

Dsrttuber said:
If you are referring to the Audion, I bought it used(1997 manufacture date) last year just to see what EL-34 SET sounds like. It's a nice little, powerful, SET for the used price, but the A318A & B(especially) both revealed how bloated, slow and thick it sounded.

Granted, it's not really fair to compare new production amps to decade old ones because budget passive components (resistors, caps) have come a long way since then. Also, SET design and transformers have evolved greatly.

Luckily, I was already planning on doing a major rebuild with point-to-point wiring before the calamity. First, replace the Alps Blue volume pot with a PEC precision carbon wipe - this is like throwing open heavy curtains on a bright, sunny, day. Should give a much better view of the amps true sound.

Graeme Holland, Audion's tech guy, has given me some helpful advice on affordable component upgrades to get the most out of it. Some locals on the Tube Diy forum on Audio Asylum have given other tips like changing the PS filtering to choke-loaded pi filter (if it will fit) and better caps/resistors in the signal path.

I'd like to add a little of the spatial magic of my Welborne DRD 300B monoblocks and some of the tonal vividness of my Art Audio PX-25. We'll see if the EL-34 has some of those qualities waiting to be revealed.
doug s said:
i have been wery interested in the almarro's, which is why i am following this thread, but i am more interested in their 5wpc set 205mkll, cuz my victory's are 97-db efficient.
Hi Doug,
I just had an Almarro A205A hooked up to my 97dB Cain & Cain I-Bens a few weeks ago. Paul Lim, the Los Angeles Almarro/C&C dealer, dropped by with a customer to check it out in my system(the guy wanted to hear C&C's larger speakers).

The A205A is simply spectacular regardless of price, but especially so when that's taken into consideration. It has a tonal purity that just seems so "right". Piano, vocals, cello, horns were seemingly dead-on. Fantastic clarity/resolution and speed. It is also surprisingly powerful. We were listening at fairly loud levels sometimes and it never seemed to run out of gas. But, at more normal levels it really worked it's magic. I can honestly say that little $800 amp caused me to experience serious short-term "amp envy". It really made me question if more expensive amps are really necessary for great musical enjoyment.

I am not implying it is the best amp I've ever heard, none is. And this little over-achiever certainly has it's own shortcomings and limitations like any other. It all depends wht type of listener you are and where your priorities lie.

If a person is an analytical type who really scrutinizes the minute facets of musical reproduction, there are better. If a person prefers tonal richness over other aspects, there are better. If a person needs extremely wide soundstage and depth, there are better. If bass "slam" is a high priority, there are better. etc, etc, etc.

But, if you are the "set it and forget it" type who just likes to plop down in a listening chair and enjoy music, really good music, letting it simply wash over you, then the A205A is a definite contender, with proper speakers. And there aren't many better in it's price range, just different. At least, that's so in my system.

Also, there have been a couple of threads on Audio Asylum's Tube DIY forum where a few A205A owners have done some minor parts upgrades that supposedly have released the amp's full potential. I think the biggest benefit has been replacing the stock coupling capacitor with a V-Cap.

If you can swing it, definetly audition the A205A in your own system. It is a revelation. For sheer musical enjoyment, it is every bit as good as my 3-7 times as expensive other amps. Check with Brian B. to see if he still has his "loaner" amp in circulation.

Last edited:
doug s. said:
are you referring to my audio mirror 6c33c monoblock amps? they have been updated quite a bit since "years ago". mine have much bigger c-core trannies, later ones have toroids, the latest have a semi-auto bias feature (not sure what that is, to be honest.) i had mine updated to be able to adjust bias from the top of the amp. these things rock on rock! ;) at least they do w/proac tablette 8 signatures, coincident victory's, & from ~280hz up on vmps rm40's. also note that i have always used subs, crossed over to my mains at ~60hz...

best,

doug s.

No sorry. I was referring to the Audion amp previously mentioned.

darkmoebius said:
...Hi Doug,
I just had an Almarro A205A hooked up to my 97dB Cain & Cain I-Bens a few weeks ago. Paul Lim, the Los Angeles Almarro/C&C dealer, dropped by with a customer to check it out in my system(the guy wanted to hear C&C's larger speakers).

The A205A is simply spectacular regardless of price, but especially so when that's taken into consideration. It has a tonal purity that just seems so "right". Piano, vocals, cello, horns were seemingly dead-on. Fantastic clarity/resolution and speed. It is also surprisingly powerful. We were listening at fairly loud levels sometimes and it never seemed to run out of gas. But, at more normal levels it really worked it's magic. I can honestly say that little $800 amp caused me to experience serious short-term "amp envy". It really made me question if more expensive amps are really necessary for great musical enjoyment.

I am not implying it is the best amp I've ever heard, none is. And this little over-achiever certainly has it's own shortcomings and limitations like any other. It all depends wht type of listener you are and where your priorities lie.

If a person is an analytical type who really scrutinizes the minute facets of musical reproduction, there are better. If a person prefers tonal richness over other aspects, there are better. If a person needs extremely wide soundstage and depth, there are better. If bass "slam" is a high priority, there are better. etc, etc, etc.

But, if you are the "set it and forget it" type who just likes to plop down in a listening chair and enjoy music, really good music, letting it simply wash over you, then the A205A is a definite contender, with proper speakers. And there aren't many better in it's price range, just different. At least, that's so in my system.

Also, there have been a couple of threads on Audio Asylum's Tube DIY forum where a few A205A owners have done some minor parts upgrades that supposedly have released the amp's full potential. I think the biggest benefit has been replacing the stock coupling capacitor with a V-Cap.

If you can swing it, definetly audition the A205A in your own system. It is a revelation. For sheer musical enjoyment, it is every bit as good as my 3-7 times as expensive other amps. Check with Brian B. to see if he still has his "loaner" amp in circulation.
thanks for the info. a modded mkll may be yust the ticket! :) presently, i am thoroughly amazed w/this home-brew amp built by a guy in germany that specializes in stealing parts from old amps/radios/etc. ( see www.audioamp.de ) also an el-84 based set amp, it is really fantastic w/my coincident victory's. but i'd really like to give the 205a a run...

doug s.

Attachments

• tele amp.jpg
    tele amp.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 21
  • tele innards.jpg
    tele innards.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 22
doug s. said:
presently, i am thoroughly amazed w/this home-brew amp built by a guy in germany that specializes in stealing parts from old amps/radios/etc. ( see www.audioamp.de ) also an el-84 based set amp, it is really fantastic w/my coincident victory's.
Holy smokes, that is very cool!!! I love the retro-burnished copper look. Also, his focus on long-forgotten tubes is inspiring. Though, I need to brush up on my German, it's been almost 25 years since I had it in high school.

After I get done rehabilitating the Audion, I am going to scratch-build an amp testbed for different esoteric tubes.

There must be something really special and unique to the EL84 if your German import is also showing a lot of magic.

Old thread but I'll post here and see if anyone has any advice.
My almarro 318a won't bias down to the recommended setting. Is that big problem? The recommendation is .16 volts but both channels won't go under .20 volts. I think the problem is the tubes not the amp. 6c33c tubes weren't originally made for audiophiles.
I haven't use it for several months because one of the other new tubes I tried in it red plated. A red plated 6c33c is a bit shocking. Like a nuclear meltdown.

Back
Top Bottom