Advice in disgnosing / repairing Sony hifi DR7AV please :)

Sick Puppy

Hi everyone, I have a Sony Hi-Fi system (model HCD-DR7AV) with a five-disc tray that no longer reads CD’s. It was given to me a while back, and I estimate it to be about fifteen years old. That said, it was in good clean condition, and still has the labels on it telling me how feature laden and awesome it is. :banana:

A week or so ago, it simply stopped playing CDs. The tray still rotates, and opening it up:
- the laser still rises to read the CD;
- CD spins; and
- the display comes up that it is reading disc #*

But nothing happens, and ultimately comes up as ‘no disc’. Keep on doing it, and it will no longer even spin the CD.

I took the cover off the first time it did this, and blew canned air though it, and it worked again... for about three days. It is now doing it again.

Any advice about fault diagnosis and repair would be appreciated. I've read Dr Audio's guide for diagnosis, but the issues I have at the moment are

a) it's an all in one, and it looks like I would have to take it to bits, which while I can do, would rather have some advice first! (lol) and

b) I don't know what a chuck arm even looks like, so I might struggle at the mo :lol:

In the alternative, advice as to whether it is worth repairing in your opinion and places in Western Sydney to take it to for repair would be nice too. It is an old stereo but a nice one, and while we’re looking to purchase a basic home theatre system to replace it now, I would like to keep it for my future man cave if possible. Thanks for your time!

Stereo001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I have two choices - run through Dr Audios thread on CD repair, and then dismantle the unit - eek!

Or take it to repair shop. the idiot in me likes door number one, although if I cannot put it back together the family will be unamused lol

Since the CDs are spinning, and the laser is coming up twice, I think the laser is bad, but it is late, and I can no longer read sentences properly. Might reread this tomorrow to see if it made sense :D

you could try cleaning the lens, it worked in the past for me. I used distilled water and a q-tip, others may have a better soulution

My guess is that the laser if failing, good news, its a sony so the laser is probably easy to get.
I was wondering that - Dr Audio's CD repair takes you to does the little laser thing pop up twice, and maybe I'm reading it wrong, but didn't see anything definitively saying 'your laser is broken'. I was pretty knackered at the times I was reading it though. :boring:

you could try cleaning the lens, it worked in the past for me. I used distilled water and a q-tip, others may have a better soulution
Thanks both for your suggestions and assistance!

I was wondering that, especially as the kids love putting on CD's for music - the number of times I've had to wipe 'em clean lol

Now all I have to do is dismantle it! The CD laser is tucked into the alcove at the back, and in a recess - basically completely hidden, unless I peer in through the opposite side.

I realise I'm the one that has the unit, but has anyone done anything like this with an all in one? An exploded diagram of this would make interesting reading lol I'm figuring I'd have to detach modules, either starting with:
- the front console from the main unit in terms of the cables and the screws on the front of the sides / bottom (bottom right in picture), and then / or;
- the power unit and board on the bottom left

I'd better do some reading methinks! Why does this always happen when I'm busy doing other stuff! lol

Well, after getting an indicative quote of $2-250 to repair it, I thought I would call Sony to see if I could even source a replacement part.

While Sony no longer make it (qu'elle surprise lol), they have an aftermarket part available for about $40 including delivery. The guy I spoke to very nicely pointed out that I would still hve to calibrate it, and remove the soldering from the laser to make it work. I am still dumb enough to want to have a crack at this... so anyone taken stereos like this apart before? Not having much luck on google. :no:

What is the pickup number, kss-***, some can be had for less than $10, I know some on here would say fakes and do not use, but I used several with good results, I am guessing you probably want to spend as little as possible on the unit. Try MAT electronics of your replacement, they kss-213 for around $7. As for disassembly, remove the front control panel then the back with the tuner board, then remove the part that holds the transformer and amp. Kinda of a pain, but not as bad as it sounds.

What is the pickup number, kss-***, some can be had for less than $10, I know some on here would say fakes and do not use, but I used several with good results, I am guessing you probably want to spend as little as possible on the unit. Try MAT electronics of your replacement, they kss-213 for around $7. As for disassembly, remove the front control panel then the back with the tuner board, then remove the part that holds the transformer and amp. Kinda of a pain, but not as bad as it sounds.
Thank you for the guidance, much appreciated :thmbsp: The assembly is a KSS-213D, I will have a look at that site. Barring a soldering iron, I have the tools I need (well, until I find otherwise lol). My only properly installing the laser so that it is aligned correctly.

At the moment, it is connected to an external dvd player and playing music that way. Would be nice to have the carousel back though. Am looking at a sony changer, as part of my foray into seperates... :)

Apparently you can hook up a DVD player.. most today also play cd's Might help hooking up a separate if no joy.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/163142/Sony-Lbt-Dr7av.html?page=47#manual

Quite a modern piece perusing the manual with effects.... albeit kids and these units can get abused easy. (kids at any age) :D
I will check the back next time I have this out, but this is the DR7AV model, not the DR8. I have connected a dvd player, might be buying a used sony dvd carousel today. Wife won't be impressed, but meh :p

Soldering station next on list (hakko 888D, hobbyking clone, or an atten/WEP 2 in 1 station - decisions decisions lol ), while I try and sort out in my head how I'm going to replace laser. Will be taking pics of unit inside and out, using Ms paint to start asking questions, like which bits are which! lol

Well, that took me a while to come back to didn't it? Sadly I had a few work & personal issues come up and sidelined any thought of my trying to repair this. Life and stuff are... better, for want of a better way of putting it, so I thought I would revisit this.

Any suggestions appreciated, or pointers towards instructions for disassembly / diagnosis.

In meantime I have connected up a Sony CDP-375 to it, which is also being temperamental in what CD it plays lol

If I had the know how, I would so retrofit a HDMI connection to this bad boy, but I also have a Yamaha receiver now, so costs and benefits and all that!

G'day mate from Sydney.
cd multi changers were dumped by mfg's because they sucked. Depends on how tech you are with repair and noted soldering iron. But cleaning single players is usually doable with care and sony' brand is pretty good to restore/ clean, globally on AK forums.

Don't know if you can find 'mates' on the members list but many many your way are good contacts.

Hi Binkman, thanks for advice, appreciated.

Looking at the disassembly manual for thus, i can see why they stopped doing them, looks like a space shuttle diagram lol

Back
Top Bottom