Advice needed- Ads 910l VS infinity RS 2.5 VS klipsch forte I

Perhaps inspect the wiring a bit closer for something askew.
If there is a simple break in the diaphragm the fix is relatively simple.
Have Fun!

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase, and I'm sure you'll get them going properly again, but as had been discussed, the 9090 won't be up to task running those. Be very careful, do not play them loud at all.
Thanks, sure, the sansui was only used for the test and in a very moderate volume,

Perhaps inspect the wiring a bit closer for something askew.
If there is a simple break in the diaphragm the fix is relatively simple.
Have Fun!
The wiring outside of the EMIMs looks fine, I’ll probably need to open them up.
I’ve read the most of the faults are from dried / broken tabs and that’s it’s quite tricky to repair.

The wiring outside of the EMIMs looks fine, I’ll probably need to open them up.
I’ve read the most of the faults are from dried / broken tabs and that’s it’s quite tricky to repair.
You say the single EMIM gives you a reading of 3.2 ohms.
Two wired in parallel would halve that to 1.6 ohms.
That doesn't sound right.

You say the single EMIM gives you a reading of 3.2 ohms.
Two wired in parallel would halve that to 1.6 ohms.
That doesn't sound right.
Yes exactly. I was hoping to find a disconnection somewhere in the crossover section but that didn’t happen...
Can these EMIMs be damaged from high current/ clipping or the damage is usually mechanical/ physical?
I also wonder if it’s only by a chance that the two lower drivers are damaged.

Last edited:
Yes exactly. I was hoping to find a disconnection somewhere in the crossover section but that didn’t happen...
Can these EMIMs be damaged from high current/ clipping or the damage is usually mechanical/ physical?
I also wonder if it’s only by a chance that the two lower drivers are damaged.
Damage is from overpowering or shorting speaker wires.
You can remove the bad ones, take them apart to expose the diaphragm and locate the break which can be bridged with tiny bit of foil and tape.
If there are no breaks in the foil trace perhaps the reflowing the solder taps on the diaphragm would do the trick.
Carefully is the keyword.

So here are they . I really like the design.
I got the faulty mid drivers out and both has a tear in the membrane (as well as the open circuit) I guess the tear can be repaired with tape?
I couldn’t find the crack in the foil yet
This thing needs some cleaning.

Attachments

• A45A76B4-B8EE-47AF-ADA6-BA71130A2EC4.jpeg
    A45A76B4-B8EE-47AF-ADA6-BA71130A2EC4.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 28
  • FD6DF36F-35A5-4F4D-B1F3-552E5CE66E6E.jpeg
    FD6DF36F-35A5-4F4D-B1F3-552E5CE66E6E.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I got the faulty mid drivers out and both has a tear in the membrane (as well as the open circuit) I guess the tear can be repaired with tape?
I take it those tiny horizontal marks are not breaks.
Take a multimeter(diode test) and probe for continuity along the foil traces until you find the break.
Reflow the solder tabs if necessary.
And good luck.

I take it those tiny horizontal marks are not breaks.
Take a multimeter(diode test) and probe for continuity along the foil traces until you find the break.
Reflow the solder tabs if necessary.
And good luck.
No, I can’t see any visible cuts on the foil.
On one membrane-
The meter shows an open circuit on the side that is hidden under the black plastic unfortunately. I can approximately guess where it is but I can’t see it. The foil pattern on the ‘hidden‘ side is not exactly the same as the one on the other.
On the second membrane I can get 8.5 ohms.
I guess that’s because different parts of the foil are warped and touching each other(?)

Thanks !

Good luck with the EMIM's.
You can see how good they sound now; just wait until they're up to spec.
Very nice pick-up!
Thanks ! They’re the best speakers I’ve ever heard. Can’t wait for a proper amp and new mid drivers.

No, I can’t see any visible cuts on the foil.
On one membrane-
The meter shows an open circuit on the side that is hidden under the black plastic unfortunately. I can approximately guess where it is but I can’t see it. The foil pattern on the ‘hidden‘ side is not exactly the same as the one on the other.
On the second membrane I can get 8.5 ohms.
I guess that’s because different parts of the foil are warped and touching each other(?)

Thanks !
So if there are no breaks on the "visible" traces and seem to be located behind the plastic, I suppose you can try and bridge the plastic from the trace leading to the + or negative terminal connection.
Or again it could be a faulty solder tab.

Nice find.

I'm an Infinity fan, so I guess I need to look out for a pair with EMIMs.

There's a guy on BT that says he can repair EMITs. May be worth contacting him.

Any luck searching on a repair facility or a good used pair?

Thanks ! They’re the best speakers I’ve ever heard. Can’t wait for a proper amp and new mid drivers.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice find.

I'm an Infinity fan, so I guess I need to look out for a pair with EMIMs.

There's a guy on BT that says he can repair EMITs. May be worth contacting him.

Any luck searching on a repair facility or a good used pair?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I decided to purchase two used and working EMIM diaphragms off eBay yesterday night. I Found two for 200$ plus shipping so I’ll have two spares if I’ll manage to fix the faulty ones.
Afaik eBay is more or less the only source
For these drivers currently.

It doesn’t look like rocket science to reproduce them. I’m quite sure it will happen one day
As long as these keep getting ‘fried’...

I usually try to do everything myself,
And I have the feeling that I can repair at least
One driver. We’ll see.

I decided to purchase two used and working EMIM diaphragms off eBay yesterday night. I Found two for 200$ plus shipping so I’ll have two spares if I’ll manage to fix the faulty ones.

It doesn’t look like rocket science to reproduce them. I’m quite sure it will happen one day

One driver. We’ll see.
20$? that's a total steal if they work.

Doh! 200, not 20. Im a maroon.

Last edited:

One driver. We’ll see.

I've bought several pairs of EMITs, I always prefer when the seller either states or shows a resistance reading in the listing.
I also do a good visual inspection with the zoom feature, looking for waviness and the like.
Probably more EMITs and EMIMs have waves than not so minor waviness is not necessarily a deal breaker for me.

I've bought several pairs of EMITs, I always prefer when the seller either states or shows a resistance reading in the listing.
I also do a good visual inspection with the zoom feature, looking for waviness and the like.
Probably more EMITs and EMIMs have waves than not so minor waviness is not necessarily a deal breaker for me.
Yes, this pair look good as I can see.
I can’t share the actual auction for some technical reason...

Back
Top Bottom