Advice needed: How to connect computer to Yamaha RX-V757?

summerdance

Hey there! I'm pretty fresh in the audio world and I'm just getting started in building home set-up. I have a pair of Monitor Bronze 3 speakers already and an HP Pavillion x360 for my music (I have a massive lossless digital library). I just need a receiver/DAC.

There is a Yamaha RX-V757 for sale on my local Craigslist for $100, which is a pretty decent price. However, what is the best way to hook up my computer to the receiver to get the best sound out of it? There is no USB or HDMI connections on the RX-V757. My other two options would be: 1) analog-analog, which I don't want to do because I'd lose sound quality or 2) via Toslink (digital headphone jack to optical), which I'm not even sure my computer supports. Any one know whether HPs have digital headphone jacks? Help please!

EDIT: If I can't hook up my computer to the Yamaha via Toslink, I'll be ISO a different receiver. Suggestions very much welcome! Thanks!

I have an outboard DAC hooked up to my computer via USB 2.0. From the DAC, connections are made to analog equipment using TRS audio cable. There are number of different ways to skin your audio cat, though. I would just recommend AGAINST using the integrated audio chip in your computer to make an analog connection, for reasons you've, no doubt, already discovered.

Last edited:
Snag an Apple AirPort Express off the bay for $15. Hook it up to your receiver via optical ($3) or RCA (free, in your spare parts box). Stream your library to the AirPort via Wifi or hardwired Ethernet using Apple iTunes (free) and let the Yammy's DAC do the conversion (optical) or have the AirPort do it (RCA). Happy listening. NB: iTunes only supports up to CD quality in Apple's ALAC format, so hi-res is out.

Last edited:
hi, I have hooked up my computer to different setups and DACs in the past. Since your computer doesn't have a sound card with digital out you will need to buy a USB DAC (or USB/firewire audio interface) to decode and convert to analog (or provide a digital out). You have to decide how much you want to spend on the DAC and the location of the components....(the distance between the DAC/computer and receiver is key)....You don't want to send the signal between the DAC and the receiver in analog if the distance is longer than ~4ft. I would point you to an inexpensive DAC/audio interface like the Behringer U-Control UCA222 (16bit/48kHz)....$29.99 while you research and shop for a good USB DAC (24bit or higher, Modi 2 Uber $150)......The little UCA222 unit gives you the choice of analog or digital output. It has not power supply which in this case is a good thing because some entry levels DACs can have crappy power supplies that sometimes create noise. You can send digital signals (Toslink cable) over longer distances +6ft. Finally, research and install the DAC manufacturer's latest drivers that are compatible with your Operating system.

you can get a dragonfly (old or new) or a Chinese clone/knock-off ( works or not to be discovered)
and play your old, current, and future lo/mid/hi res files. Its a USB for your computer and
analog outputs for your PC, headphone amp, or head/ear phones.

bonus - this will work on your desktop and with your portable.

Hey there! I'm pretty fresh in the audio world and I'm just getting started in building home set-up. I have a pair of Monitor Bronze 3 speakers already and an HP Pavillion x360 for my music
2) via Toslink (digital headphone jack to optical), which I'm not even sure my computer supports.

I don't think it does. Is this the manual for your laptop?

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04582281

If so, you have HDMI, USB and analog out connectors to work with, but not dedicated digital audio output.

It's too bad - I have an old Yammy AVR and the toslink inputs and the DACs on it are pretty good (If only it didn't have a truly terrible headphone output...) so the ones on the receiver you're looking at may be serviceable.

I don't think it does. Is this the manual for your laptop?

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04582281

If so, you have HDMI, USB and analog out connectors to work with, but not dedicated digital audio output.

It's too bad - I have an old Yammy AVR and the toslink inputs and the DACs on it are pretty good (If only it didn't have a truly terrible headphone output...) so the ones on the receiver you're looking at may be serviceable.

That is the manual! So now that it's been established that I DO NOT have a digital output - would it just make more sense to buy a brand new receiver? From the set ups mentioned above, it sounds like buying brand new would be the way to go to get highest sound quality.

That is the manual! So now that it's been established that I DO NOT have a digital output - would it just make more sense to buy a brand new receiver? From the set ups mentioned above, it sounds like buying brand new would be the way to go to get highest sound quality.

yes you could buy a newer receiver that has an HDMI input and connect your computer directly to the receiver via HDMI cable....if you buy used stay away from the really old HDMI receivers....the very first generation of HDMI receivers only processed video on the HDMI connectors and still require RCA (red white) inputs for audio....(it was silly)...

Also make sure you set your HDMI settings to the highest audio format available in your PC

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/The-Ne...C-to-your-TV-through-HDMI-and-More/ba-p/78601

...that said for listening to audio and only focusing on SQ and $ I would still prefer a separate USB DAC over a Home Theater receiver.

You've still got the Behringer UA222 that HowlerMonkey suggested (#4). I use one to give my desktop & laptop a digital out when needed. Low cast & compact. Simple to connect. Just need to pick its codec in your sound I/P or O/P.

If you go for a new receiver, it would open the door to hi res surround sound. That’s a nice bonus. Plus, when used with WASAPI or ASIO drivers, the HDMI out will give you an excellent, low jitter connection to a receiver. If the receiver has decent DAC and sound quality, you’ll probably be very happy. A good external stand alone DAC can cost as much as or more than a receiver, and that’s just for stereo, not surround, in most cases.

I have a Yamaha Aventage RX-A770 it is completely integrated with my PC via the graphic card True Audio output. In my case it is AMD True Audio and except for the wonderful headphone amp it completely blows the ASUS Xonar Essence SC out of the water. This would be the same with any AVR with HDMI inputs. The newer the AVR the better the firmware and chipset. I have complete access to about 9 TB's of music and videos. This system also enables the use of Software Defined Radios (SDR's) which enable you to listen to broadcast radio from all over the world.

Back
Top Bottom