Advice needed: Sony vs. Sony

Jorgul

I need to make a choice between two Sony CD players:

1. SONY CDP-227ESD with: 2 x Philips TDA1541A dacs and CXD1144
2. SONY CDP-228ESD with: 2 x Burr Brown PCM58P-J dacs and CXD1244

They look like twins, share the same transport and the price is similar.

I had a SONY CDP-710 with 1 x Philips TDA1541 - CXD1088 that I really like how it sound, but the transport finally died it seems.

So maybe 227ESD will be a better choice since they both have the same DAC, but then again - maybe the Burr Brown is much better than the famous Philips 1541?

I cannot make side by side comparison, it's not the same seller...

Help?

Both are very good chips,so I honestly dont see either one as being significantly better than the other.

I'd call it a draw,flip a coin.

And I really like the TDA1541 machines (own two myself,and I'm always looking for deals on others)...

I also like the better BB PCM DACs,and that PCM58 is one of Burr Brown's better efforts IMO.
That PCM58 isnt quite the quality of their PCM63 DAC mind you (very few DACs are).
Now if we were talking 2x PCM63P-J vs. 2x TDA1541A,then the 2x PCM63P-J would likely win.
If were talking 2x PCM63P-K vs. 2x TDA1541A-S2 (double crown),,,whew that's another one that's probably too close to call...

My Parasound D/AC-1000 are 2x PCM63P-J DACs,,,and those Parasound DACs sound absolutely exquisite...

IMHO a good part of the reason for really wanting the TDA1541 DAC is to have it paired with the Philips CDM swing arm transport.
I say that as those Philips CDM transports are about the best (most reliable) transports/lasers ever made.
Especially when they're being compared to the Sony KSS transports/lasers.

Once a CDP Co. puts the TDA1541 DAC(s) into a CDP with a Sony KSS transport (and laser),then the other CDPs/DACs start gaining some ground back.

Also note there are two versions of that CDP-227-ESD.
1 is 1x TDA1541 (older).
The other is 2x TDA1541A-R1 (newer).
Both use the Sony KSS-151A transports.

FYI: That CXD part no. is the digital filter chip IIRC.

Another thing I dont like about the Sony TDA1541 machines is they typically go for much more than the Philips/Magnavox TDA1541 machines go for.
Though admitedly Sony built their machines to a higher fit & finish and are aesthetically more pleasing.
It's just too bad they did'nt go ahead use the Philips CDM transports in their machines,as that's their primary weakness.

FWIW

Bret P.

Many thanx ferninadno and xero for the extensive post.

I went first for the 227. However it was all beat up with a button missing from the faceplate.
So i got the 228 which is almost in mint condition.

The 227 was a version with dual 1541A DACs and I believe that I would have liked it better it seems.
I am now listening to this 228 and I am sure that my old 710 with one single 1541 chip sounded much more pleasant (softer, not-fatiguing).
This player sounds more open, I can hear better the details - much more like a modern DAC.
I hope I will get used to it...

Sony is funny in that often the earlier models are way better than the later models. Look at the SCD-1 vs everything that followed and the DVP-S7000/7700. But I think you did OK because you may be in the 7000/7700 situation where the new model was a clone of the old model with maybe some updated IC here and there.

Both DACs are excellent. The BB is my pick, and I have plenty of machines with both DACs inside. The CDPX7esd and the CDP338esd both use the 58P, my Marantz CD12/DA12LE uses the TDA1541S1 and it is impossible to hear any difference between all of them. I can convince myself the 58P is better, but there's nothing in it.

I say, buy them both if they are reasonable. The Laser mech alone is worth a stack of money.

This 228 is slowly gaining my thrust that BB58 is one really great DAC,
The player sounds very nice and calm being non-fatiguing even though it reveals more details than 1541.

I would have buy them both, it would have been a great pair for DAC comparison, the price was OK and it was the same for both - 80eur, but the 227 was really in bad condition.

Last edited:
It seems this Sony is also in not so well condition.
Even though it looks like new, it skips with scratched CD's (small scratches) that were never a problem for my old CDP-710.
And it also skips when there's loud/deep bass with volume cranked up.

I am going to try to damp the feet/contact with the surface and maybe try to clean the laser (already did it with clean cotton swabs). Is it OK to clean with alcohol or distilled water?
BTW the inside of the player was absolutely clean.

Does this mean that this laser is near the end of his life?

Edit: cleaning with alcohol did not helped, but damping the feet with soft rubber stopped the skipping completely.

Last edited:
The laser is most likely ok. Don't mess with any pots.

Check the spindle motor bearings and give the spindle bearing a tiny drop of sewing machine oil, particularly on the upper bearing.

Is the skipping more pronounced at the outer edge of the CD or is it the same all across the CD?

The laser is most likely ok. Don't mess with any pots.

Check the spindle motor bearings and give the spindle bearing a tiny drop of sewing machine oil, particularly on the upper bearing.

Is the skipping more pronounced at the outer edge of the CD or is it the same all across the CD?
It is the same no matter the position.
Now after feet damping it does not skip on heavy bass... however, on gentle kick or knock by hand (on purpose, for testing) it skips.

For the records, and bringing my share, I've had both cd players, almost at the same time and my conclusion is : the 227 wins the game as it offers the same amount of details as the 228 but with the typical sweet analogue sound of the TDA1541A dac. This cd player is a keeper!
Only downside is the sensitivity of the transport mechanism... almost as sensitive as a turntable on a wooden floor :naughty:

IMAG7291.jpg IMAG7294.jpg IMAG7293.jpg IMAG7305.jpg IMAG7297.jpg IMAG7290.jpg Sorry to necro post but here goes anyway...
I was debating whether to buy a Sony cdp-333 with the famous tda-1541 or a Sony cdp-228 with the lesser known burr brown dacs. The catch? CDP-333 has a
completely unresponsive laser/motor. Doesn't spin up or even try to read discs (chime in if you know of any easy fixes and I might go back and grab). So I settle on the 228. It's sounds great and it's display is really bright and nice to look at. Was all set and happy with my purchace but then I find a Sony cdp-227 at another shop and just couldn't resist. When I get it home I soon realize this is the older unit with only one TDA-1541. Oh well, it still sounds great and I can barely tell the difference between the two. If I had to pick I'd give the nudge to the 227. But just barely. Maybe if I had the later edition 227 with two dacs it would be a more apparent win over the 228.

Anywho, my question; does anyone have/had the first edition cdp-227? I fear this unit has been open and fiddled with. Unmatching screws when removing the cover (never a good sign) and the CD tray seems a bit cockeyed like it was removed and not reinstalled correctly. Also there is a fairly large gap around the tray's facia when it's closed. Is this normal? The CDP-228 has a nice rubber gasket which basically seals off the CD drive when closed. Can anyone comfirm if their cdp-227 has the rubber gasket? I've tried to look on line at pictures but no luck. Also, the CD tray when closed doesn't sit flush with the unit. It sits quite a few millimeters proud. All of this has me thinking it's either a poor repair job or worse, the original drive has been replaced with a lesser unit.
From my research online, the 227 and 228 should have the same laser assembly but with the two here stacked it's obvious that at least the tray's are not the same. Overall the 228 is way better built with a metal like tray vs. the 227 and its flimsy plastic. Again, this is the first edition 227 so maybe they changed it with the second edition? Curious to hear from owners of the later 227 with two dacs too. Is your tray flimsy plastic like mine with a huge gap around the edges? Seems like a poor design and a dust collecting hazard.

Overall, I think anyone would be happy with the sound of either of these two players. With my particular units build quality goes to the 228. It's nearly all metal everywhere. The 227 in comparison is plasticy and the ailing CD tray doesn't give much confidence. But the sound quality does go to the 227. It seems to be just a tad more wider in it's presentation.

Back
Top Bottom