Advice on 40 - 50" ish LCD vs Plasma...

I wonder if they backed off the 100,000 hours?

I'm virtually certain I saw that on their website at one time.

But, yeah, even at 60k hours, that's a long time. Longer than standard CRTs are rated for half-brightness, I think.

Ronnie, Set her in "Pure" mode "color space 2" and color temp "low-Mid" and she will be perfect according to "Digital Video Essentials"

At least just about every one I've heard of were. Mine was. . .

The fun begins. I now have 100 hours on mine (116 to be exact) and it still blows me away every time I turn it on regardless of the programming that comes up.

Wait till you see "Dark Knight" or Narnia "Prince Caspien (if you are in to that type of movies, I am when it looks like it does on my Kuro. . . Those dark scenes and inky black blacks are stuff dreams are made of. . .

Had a gateway (lemon) plasma which experienced burn in quickly on the edges when watching regular tv instead of wide aspect ratio. That is the single reason we went with LCD after the gateway crapped itself. Have an LG floor model. The other problem is a lot of plasmas have an audible whine up here at altitude. The gateway did. Drove me insane.

The Pio's have an "Auto" feature that automatically zooms the screen and does a pretty good job doing it. You can defeat this setting however and use one of several modes. There is also a one button quick menu for often used items such as screen size etc that you can use on the fly.

Also has a detachable little light meter that automatically brightens and dims both the brightness and color depending on room light that works very well if you want to use it.

Also it has what they cal an "Orbiter" that automatically moves around bugs (logos etc) to help avoid screen burn. You can not see it move and it can also be defeated if so desired. I think it also has a screen saver that you can run in case you might feel the need to do so.

All in all using the "Auto" mode you have very little to do but enjoy watching it. . .

I do several things that may not be necessary depending on who you talk to or that may or may not be benificial but having paid the kind of money these things cost at least I feel like I'm doing something useful. . . Besides its kinda fun doing it. . .

If you're looking at a 42" plasma then I strongly recommend looking at the Panasonic sets. Amazing picture quality for good price. Just look up the reviews on Panasonic plasmas on amazon.com or avforum.com

I just noticed Best Buy has the Panasonic TH-46PZ80U 46"1080P Plasma for $999.99,Sears has it for $1199.00 (the 42" is $1099.00 Sears has 42" for $899.00). It seems to have good reviews. Seems like a real good price.
Anyone know of this model?

This will be my #2 tv even though I'm buying it first. It's for my office / Den. Looking at seating, I'll be sitting from 6' to 8' away. I'm between the 42" Panny 1080p and this 46". Am I sitting too close for a 46"?

Thanks for any advice, this will be my first Plasma. 2nd tv, so I'm not gonna spend for a pioneer.... maybe the next one.

I don't know much about this model but that's a smoking deal and 3 years same as cash, that even beats Vanns.com. Thanks for posting it, must be a Super Bowl deal?? :scratch2:

Panasonic TH-46PZ80U

Three years same as cash is nice, but don't forget that using your credit card to purchase it usually doubles the mfg. warranty. This applies even if you were to pay it off right away.

Even if one didn't pay off, the interest might be cheaper than a purchased protection plan (aka extended warranty). Chances are, if it doesn't fail within the first year, or two, it'll probably last a long time.

To see what's happening with me, look at the Help ?? thread nearby. I bought a factory refurb'd Pioneer PDP4280HD KURO plasma after living with an LCD for a week. Waiting for it to arrive. Cost ~$1600 from Beach Camera.

It's "only" 720p, but all the literature I got like Consumers Report and comments at AVS said for 42", the difference is not that noticeable. Downloaded the owners manual - phew, feature rich environment !! Biggest suggestion I can make is to do that - download the manual for any piece you are seriously thinking about. It may sway your opinion one way or another. I also downloaded the CAD file for the mounting dimensions. They are different from the Sony and the Sanyo I have on hand.

I'm not really concerned about getting a tv in time for the Super Bowl. The 46" Panasonic I'm considering goes OFF sale midnight Saturday and I'm not sure if I'm gonna pull the trigger before 12pm Saturday or if I'll gamble the price won't rise much (if it does) and see if prices drop for the Super Bowl week or if another model catches my eye.

Does anyone know ANYTHING about the Panasonic TH-46PZ80U ? It looks like the new series is 85U. I would think the price will hold on the 80U until they are gone. I've seen good reviews on the Panasonics. Looking for some comfort level. I'm more familiar with Samsung LCDs.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone know ANYTHING about the Panasonic TH-46PZ80U ? It looks like the new series is 85U. I would think the price will hold on the 80U until they are gone. I've seen good reviews on the Panasonics. Looking for some comfort level. I'm more familiar with Samsung LCDs.

Any suggestions?

I stopped at Bestbuy last night, yes, the sale ends at midnight tonight because a new sale start Sunday according to tomorrows flyer, the new price is $1299.99 or $400 off the normal $1699 price. The salesman said these are not available at any store, they do include the financing and free basic Geek Squad set-up. I'm going back today to see if I can order one since the salesman said they're due in the stores on 1/28/2009. Yes, the TH-PZ85U is the next model up with higher contrast ratio, personally I don't feel it's worth the extra bucks, although Amazon has the TH-PZ85U for under $1200 right now, in fact, it's cheaper than the TH-46PZ80U, Dave. :scratch2:

I stopped at Bestbuy last night, yes, the sale ends at midnight tonight because a new sale start Sunday according to tomorrows flyer, the new price is $1299.99 or $400 off the normal $1699 price. The salesman said these are not available at any store, they do include the financing and free basic Geek Squad set-up. I'm going back today to see if I can order one since the salesman said they're due in the stores on 1/28/2009. Yes, the TH-PZ85U is the next model up with higher contrast ratio, personally I don't feel it's worth the extra bucks, although Amazon has the TH-PZ85U for under $1200 right now, in fact, it's cheaper than the TH-46PZ80U, Dave. :scratch2:

So you think it's a good deal too ? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna order one today.... just kinda waiting for someone to give me a reason to consider another tv. I think it's a really good deal on a really nice tv.

Update...........
Well, I waited too long... none available in my area in stores or internet (Pan TH-46PZ80U plasma). It must have been a hot deal. I shoulda ordered last night I guess. My Best Buy says they expect a shipment in March. The sale ($999) ends midnight tonight (Saturday) but I did get a RAINCHECK! Tomorrow, the NEW sale price will be $1299.99 (+300) I'm glad I got the raincheck... now do I want to wait that long (maybe sooner) or look for a different model?

Hmm.... decisions, decisions! It figures , I moved the HT system last night to be ready. Oh well.

I just went on Craigslist in my area to look at used plasma's. I guess with the number of folks getting laid off, there are like a ton of them. Some nice sets too and many less than 2 years old. Saw one Pioneer, but is a 50" and too big for my space. Maybe you want to look there? I just typed in Plasma in the electronics section :)

I just went on Craigslist in my area to look at used plasma's. I guess with the number of folks getting laid off, there are like a ton of them. Some nice sets too and many less than 2 years old. Saw one Pioneer, but is a 50" and too big for my space. Maybe you want to look there? I just typed in Plasma in the electronics section :)

Thanks but I won't buy a used tv. I'll bite the bullet and spend more first.
Especially with Plasmas , I'd worry how they were treated.
I guess I'll go thru the decision process again unless BB gets one soon. I'll even look at LCD again (i have LCDs).

PS... after midnight the sales and prices change at BB... who knows, maybe a 46" 1080p will be down to $299.... lol. (then my alarm clock will go off)

Back
Top Bottom