advice on extending attached phono cables

Mark W.

Nut house of the Universe
I need to make my phono cables which are of the attached to the table varity longer. Is it advisable to just attach an extension interconnect to the RCA's on the end of the Philips cable?

My turntable doesn't have a seperate ground wire and has a Din type connector in the line with a short extension cord pluged into it with the RCA's on the end of that. This is all origional. The RCA's are working but really could use being upgraded. one one the center pin looks to be pulled out a little and it wants to angle a bit.

Is there a specific type of cable I could solder in it's place or someway add about 3 feet to the lenght of the line?

RCA extensions are certainly the easiest way to go. Reasonably-priced DIN-to-RCA cables seem to be impossible to find. The alternative would probably be to build your own cable; www.markertek.com has all the varieties of DIN plugs and you'd just need to figure out the pin assignments.

RCA extension

RCA extension with coupler works for me. I use speaker wire to extend the ground. Used a crimp connector. If you need Tech Specs I have none. It suits my need. Maybe a better way to go about it but this works for me.

I was worried about changing the resistance of the interconnectors if I just added an extension to the phone cables. But I gusee it sure can't hurt to try it.

I think if I cna't find a matching DIN type plug at the local electronic's store I will just cut the origional RCA's off and replace them. Looks like some tiny wire soldering. The make up a couple of extesion cords with Microphone type wire.

Mark W. said:
I was worried about changing the resistance of the interconnectors if I just added an extension to the phone cables. But I gusee it sure can't hurt to try it.

I think if I cna't find a matching DIN type plug at the local electronic's store I will just cut the origional RCA's off and replace them. Looks like some tiny wire soldering. The make up a couple of extesion cords with Microphone type wire.

Of more concern, really, is changing the capacitance if you're using a MM cartridge. Adding long extension phono cables used to be one of the tricks for raising capacitance and reducing highs, especially with the old Shure carts. But adding 3 feet, I don't think you need to worry.

Rich, My Amp has a varible Phono input with 25 50 and 100 K ohm settings would this help adjust for any change in the capacitance of an extended cable?

I'm trying to figure some of this stuff as fast as I can but I'm starting to think I might be running with a handicap.........(My brain LOL)

OH this is POST #500 do I win anything LOL

Mark W. said:
Rich, My Amp has a varible Phono input with 25 50 and 100 K ohm settings would this help adjust for any change in the capacitance of an extended cable?

Maybe - it can't hurt to try - but again, unless your cartridge is very sensitive to loading, I don't think 3 feet of cable will make much difference.

Mark W. said:
OH this is POST #500 do I win anything LOL

Your secret decoder ring should be in the mail soon :D

Congrats on #500!

I'm bumping this thread back up cause I have a question along the same line. IF I have to add extensions to my intregral Phono interconnects (about 3 feet) AND add a Junction block and then about another 4' of interconnects. If I put a Phono Preamp in the circuit would this solve and loss problems especially if the pre amp was at the first connection?

Will a Phono Preamp basically tune the output from the cart to the same as a line voltage source like a CD player or Cassette deck?

Mark W. said:
I'm bumping this thread back up cause I have a question along the same line. IF I have to add extensions to my intregral Phono interconnects (about 3 feet) AND add a Junction block and then about another 4' of interconnects. If I put a Phono Preamp in the circuit would this solve and loss problems especially if the pre amp was at the first connection?

Will a Phono Preamp basically tune the output from the cart to the same as a line voltage source like a CD player or Cassette deck?

Yes. and it would be the best way to run the tt to the amp if there is a long distance to cover.

The input would no longer go to the phono input, but something like aux or tape...

I have seen phono cables run 10 feet BUT there was never any a/b testing to see if the sound was adversely affected.

Try and you will know, fail and you will learn.

It's not like anything gets broken.

Oh I understand that the worst that would happen is not enough volume at the amp. And of course like I said earlier my SA-9100 does have an adjustable PHONO input so I could even try that out to boost it up a little.

I'm going to get the Philips GA-209 S I currently have all completely up and running but down the road I'm seriously thinking about looking at throwing $400.00 at a Used table but looking for one of the new ones like the Pro-Ject 1 Xperiance I have seen a couple selling for under $300.00 even on Audiogon lately. And when I do that I want to invest is a Cart in the 150-200.00 range (depending on what the turntable might come with) and have two Turntables one for myself totally manual operation for my best albums. the other to play the thrift store finds and for the auto feature which I'm sure the wife would prefer the Philips will do that quite nicely I think once I have the little kinks squared away.

SO I'm planning way ahead which since I have a very limited space for my Vintage stereo gear I have to know ahead of time what's coming so to speak.

You really shouldn't extend the phono cables. Phono cartridge output is very tiny, and therefore fragile. Long lengths of phono cable can cause a lot of electrical problems, and can leak a lot of noise into the signal, which will then be amplified along with the music.

Inserting a phono preamp near the turntable steps the signal up to the same level as a CD or tuner, or whatever, called line level. After that it's a lot safer to use junction boxes, etc.

Good luck

In my previous setup config my TT's cables were not long enough to meet the pre-amp. I used some gold cables and female couplers along with ground extension the result was noise leakage. Depending on the atomsphere and time of day a spanish radio talky station was heard faintly and sometimes very prominently thru the phono stage. It was the biggest PITA ever, I thought I had some problems with the phono pre-amp circuit in my SPEC-1. I would not recommend it at all. If you have no alternative I would make new set of cables and wire them into the TT just like the originals. Save the originals for re-installation for originality later.

Due to space constraints I needed to extend the cables from my turntable to receiver about 15 feet. I'm using the RG-6 coax that RadioShack carries for HDTV signals with appropriate RCA adaptors. I've got no complaints about the sound quality and several people have listened to CD's that I've burnt from vinyl and haven't noticed any problems.

Well I need to extend my lenght exactly 22" no more no less. I'm going to extend the Phono connection from the back right of the Amp to basically the middle of the left side.
I'm going to mount a pair of gold RCA's on a 1" X 1" X 2" piece of Micrata milled into the shape of a piece of angle iron with braces at each end. the Jacks will be connected through Coaxial cable and gold RCA plug to the Amp. The origional cable from the Phono will then plug into the Jacks. If 22" of extention is to much then I'll make a whole new set from Microphono cable BUT I ain't spending more then I spent on my SA-9100 amp for a new phono cable NO WAY.

I recently tried using the RCA extenders (female to female) on my turntable and the result was disappointing. I even tried taping around the connections to give extra shielding, it didn't help. I got lots of noise, and immediately took them out. I'm thinking that it requires removing the old cables installing new interconnects.

Last edited:
Mark, your best bet would be to make your own din-RCA extension. You're an old hat at cable manufacturing now, so it shouldn't be hard.

The trick will be finding the correct DIN plug. http://www.markertek.com has a good selection, but you'll need to identify the correct one. If you post a closeup pic of the plug, we can help.

Then use a mini coax, like Canare L-3C2VS, terminate with solder-on connectors, like F-10 or F-09, unless you want to pay for a coax crimper, and of course, the DIN connector on the other end. The mini-coax has a low 21pF per foot capacitance, so it would play nicely with most cartridges.

Don't make them absurdly long, and you should be fine.

peace,
sam

Mark W. said:

The thing to worry about is how much capcitance you are adding to your load. That will serously impact the frequency respons of a MM cartridge.

Personally, I would suggest replacing the cable with some well-shielded, yet low-capacitance cable.

Personally, I would suggest replacing the cable with some well-shielded, yet low-capacitance cable.

Goldear,

Could you point us in the direction of such cables? Where can we find them?

There are a bunch of folks around that will sell you this cable made up with the RCA terminations you specify. My favorite is Wasatch Cable Works. But, Cardas, Kimber, Nordost, Synergistic Research, etc., will all do so. Just let them know the application, length and terminations you want and they'll make them up. Don't know about the others, but Wasatch is pretty fast on their turnaround time. Am sure they would make up the 15' ICs that someone above mentioned for under $300 for their 102-U line.

Back
Top Bottom