Advice on hard drive organization

i don't think there's too much that hasn't been said - i will just add that i keep my music on a synology NAS, which serves two purposes: 1. redundant hard disks means i will never have to suffer a hard disk failure. and 2. because it's a network device, it can stream media to any device connected to the network.
Actually, you can suffer failure on both drives. Offline backups are the only way to avoid that. I keep multiple copies.

I can stream media to any device connected to my network as well - but don't require a NAS. My music and video libraries live on the main server.

Actually, you can suffer failure on both drives. Offline backups are the only way to avoid that. I keep multiple copies.

I can stream media to any device connected to my network as well - but don't require a NAS. My music and video libraries live on the main server.
technically true, if you ignore the warning emails and beeps of the first one failing and the other one fails...or to a total system failure, fire, theft, or other disaster.

i do take an occasional backup, but for the most part, i don't have to think about it.

there's a joke from somewhere about how i worked hard to ill-get those ill-gotten gains (of yummy dsf files)

Back
Top Bottom