Advice on purchasing a reel to reel deck.

Discussion in 'Tape' started by FrostEOne, Sep 8, 2018.

1. FrostEOne

FrostEOne Active Member

Wanting to purchase a reel to reel deck, looking for recommendations.
    Haven't had one since the Teac I purchased back in 1970, wish I still had it!
    Thanks in advance, Mark B

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

Bartertown. It's the only place on AK where one can post a *want to buy* ad.

3. FrostEOne

FrostEOne Active Member

Excuse my title, let me clarify, looking for recommendations on what features to look for as I'm out of touch when it comes to reel to reel.
    Pretty sure I want 3 motors, don't like belts. As for reverse play, not a necessity, but not counting it out. Forgot everything I once knew about the heads, know more is better so each have their own function.
    Beyond that, need recommendations so I can make a somewhat educated decision.
    Bartertown will come later.

4. Celt

Celt Peanut Head Staff Member Super Mod

This is the place to ask for advice...or in Dollar and Sense about values of certain models.
    Good luck and carry on....my wayward son....there'll be pizza when you are done...

safebet and phantomrebel like this.
  5. TR6man98

TR6man98 Well-Known Member

Teac machines would be fine since you have some experience...
    Do you want 7" or bigger 10" reel machines? I am partial to A series players.
    I really love my A6300 but smaller brother A4300 is also great if you only play 7" reels. Older 3300/2300 are also fine and I worked on them all; fairly similar with few problems like that n need of oiling, stucked roller mechanism due old grease and such.
    Some people stay away from X series (I have great X-10R) due to complexity and delicate motores that can fail and expensive to replace. BTDT.
    BTW forgot to mention A6300/4300 are auto reverse units so no flipping reels needed for playing revers side. Great feature!

Good luck

6. FrostEOne

FrostEOne Active Member

In my searching, I've found a Teac A2300SR for what I think is a reasonable price.
    This looks a lot like the deck I used to have. https://postimg.cc/image/7ng8ifqcl/
    And a Teac A-3300SX 2T https://postimg.cc/image/564hb71b9/
    Would the 2 track be a compatibility issue with 4 track if I got a tape from someone else?
    Always thought most were 4 track.
    Thanks for the information, Mark B

7. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

When considering a deck, do a close inspection of the heads. Head wear is a real concern.

Most decks are 3 motor but some reel motors run belts to a flywheel reel hub. Stay with direct drive reel motors to avoid belts.

I think most units have some sort of belt from capstan motor to capstan. Except for the really junky units, of the 100 or so I’ve parted out, I don’t remember any direct drive capstan motors. What I have seen is units with old belts that work well and units with belts that turned to tar. They, of course, don’t work at all.

FWIW, I once picked up a small Akai at a thrift store just because I needed to test a bunch of tape, I thought. Anyway, I picked up a belt from Ebay from a seller that included directions on how to install it and sent an Oiler and how to use it. Best damn thing I ever bought on Ebay. Simple and easy with the instructions and the Oiler was great. I think they are still selling on eBay.

I would point out that “the bigger they are, the harder they fall” is a problem with shipping a deck. If you really want a big deck, shop locally.

8. FrostEOne

FrostEOne Active Member

Found a nice looking A6300
    [​IMG]
    Do these heads look acceptable?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance, Mark B

9. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

Those heads seem par for the course from what I’ve seen. I think they’ll do fine.

FrostEOne likes this.
  10. FrostEOne

FrostEOne Active Member

Thank you, this is indeed helping me make a decision.

11. TR6man98

TR6man98 Well-Known Member

This looks like a great deck, however I can't see pictures of heads.it says images are removed.
    I would trust blhastrom's judgemen, though.
    Also, he is correct about shipping cost and headaches of large units so I hope this is local to you. In that case you should go for it.
    Without specifying the price, I can note that NAB adapters and metal take up reel increase the value of you find.
    Good luck.

FrostEOne likes this.

12. Numone

Numone Member

A6300 is a great deck and I wish I could get my hands on one too. Personally, I'd get it, but just be aware and be prepared to spend money servicing it by a tech who has the age and experience to do so.

FrostEOne likes this.
  13. FrostEOne

FrostEOne Active Member

Haven't bought it, decided I don't want to have it shipped. Going to do some local looking starting at the pawn shops and working up. I know a good recently retired Electronics Technician, will start there for service.
    Yes I'd also like a A-6300, but I'm prepared to accept anything down to A-2300S if I can find it local. Used to have a A-2300S long ago.
    Regards, Mark B

14. Jonny Ramone

Jonny Ramone Super Member

Craigslist is a good place to look.