advice on standmount speaker with Line Magnetic 518

mcanaday

Hello all-

I'm looking for advice on a standmount speaker (2-4k) to pair with the Line Magnetic 518 1a SET amp. The room is quite small, listening is near field, and not loud. Has anybody heard this amp with KEF LS50s? What else should I consider?

Thanks, Margot

Hey Margot,

You should consider Refrence 3A Decapo's. The are quite amazing and pair very well with lower powered tubes. If you sign up as a Subscriber to Audiokarma you will have access to Bartertown and there happens to be a fantastic set for sale in there now. I have nothing to do with the sale... But they have been tempting me.

I've owned KEF LS50's and while they will sound nice with your LM, I find they really shine with more watts behind them. I the the 3A's will be quite superior.

- Woody

DeVore Fidelity 3XL's would be a perfect match for the 518. DeVore generally uses Line Magnetic amps when showing his speakers at audio shows. I've had the 3XL's and they are a fabulous speaker. I only sold them because I moved up the DeVore Orangutan O/93's.

Devore would be my other suggestion, too. By all accounts they are fabulous with LM gear.

- Woody

Great ideas. How much space do the Devore's need around them? Are they sensitive in terms of placement? Thanks!

another really interesting idea. am I right that the silver bliss is a sealed box, and therefore might be especially good in a small room? thanks!

Front loaded TL and yes they work in a small room. I have a pair of their predecessors (Twin Signature} in a 14" x 12" room and they sound great with a Kora hybrid integrated. Have also used them with a Music Reference RM-10 EL-84 based amp and they were even better. The first Reynaud I owned were the Twin Mk II which had the same efficiency. They were run with the "famous" Antique Sound Lab " Wave 8's" in the same room. The bass is surprising from them. This is a link to the review of their "one step down" partner.

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak083010.shtml

Great ideas. How much space do the Devore's need around them? Are they sensitive in terms of placement? Thanks!

They are rear ported, but don't need that much space. I had them about 3 feet from the back wall, but probably could have gotten away with less. If you do go that route, definitely make sure you get the matching stands, as the pseudo baffle really adds to the sound. And if you can swing it, Auditorium 23 speaker cables take them to the next level. I went from Morrow Audio SP3's to the Auditoriums and the difference was not subtle.

Back
Top Bottom