Advice sought on MA-5100

M Jarve

Audio Geek and NGE Freak
I am about to join the Mac club with the acquisition of a McIntosh MA-5100 preamplifier-amplifier. I am getting one in mostly working condition, save that it outputs 27VDC at the speaker outputs; supposedly, though, even the bad channel still sounds good.

For someone about to get their feet wet with Mac for the first time, what advice can any of you give. I am reasonably good at repairing audio equipment, having restored several early to late 1970’s harman/kardon receivers, in addition to repairing PA equipment. The person who is sending me the unit is also including the service manual and some other literature. He is simply not technically inclined, and did not want to bother having it repaired, moving on to other gear.

Does McIntosh still provide replacement parts for this unit? Or am I going to be looking for a parts unit as well?

I know Mac gear holds its value well, but what would be the practical cut off for repairs?

I would say go for it. Most parts are still readily available or suitable replacements can be had. There's no autoformers or other expensive components.

I worked on a MA5100 a decade ago and they are easy to service. I recommend replacing most of the small electrolytics, specially in the preamplifier boards. They become noisy with age.

Regards,
crooner

Thank you for the information. I just re-capped my h/k 820 for the same reasons, as it was getting noisy and cranky about bass.

Back
Top Bottom