Advise about speaker stands for Tannoy

tsjuus

I want to achieve a pair of speaker stands for my Tannoy Little Red Monitor 12’. What is the best buy?

leon

Leon,

You might want to post a picture if you can or at the very least the dimensions and weight of the Tannoys so people know what it is you're trying to hold up.

I have a pair of Tannoy Berkeleys (15" driver) that I raised up to the appropriate height by setting them atop a pair of bookshelf speakers laid in their side. (On carpeting with something between the speakers.) However, I would think that you'd like something a bit more attractive than this ad-hoc assemblage.

- JP

Here are some pictures of my Tannoy's Little Red Monitor. It has a 12' driver and this model was mainly sold to studio's.
Size: 23'*18'*11' and weight = 46 lbs. As a matter of fact I'm using now a couple of Infinity Qb's (mid toner is broken) as stand for them.

I never heard a couple of Berkeley's, but with that fantastic 15’ driver I suppose they are sounding great?

Those are pretty heft for their size. I'm not familiar with speaker stands, not having had need for them, but maybe someone else can chime in with some good advice.

The Infinity Quantum series is notorious for having those 5 ohm pots going bad. I have a pair of Quantum 2s and all three of the 5 ohm 25 watt pots in one of the speakers are shot. Maybe while you're enjoying your Tannoys, you can spare some time to fix up those Qbs, which are decent speakers for what they are. Just be sure to share your knowledge of where to get those parts if you luck out on them.

My Berkeleys use the HPD385A driver which combines all the good things about the older drivers (pepperpot tweeter, alnico magnet) and combines them with the girdacoustic struts to remove the midrange coloration that so plagued these same vintage designs. Unfortunately, their weakness is in the use of foam for the surrounds. These Tannoys came into my possession with one driver exhibiting severe voice coil rub. I eventually managed to figure out a solution to this by unbolting the spider and re-centering the VC. I think I can hear a difference between the drivers, though, so I'll most likely be changing out the surrounds with appropriate replacements obtained from AK's own Gordon W when I've the time to spare. I will say this, the 15" drivers possess incredible dynamics, so much so that transients can come with startling impact. More than once I have half-jumped out of my seat when a drum hit came unannounced or a gun was fired in a movie, something that not even my Maggies could do. Ah, but why am I telling you this? You have vintage Tannoy too, so you experience this pretty much everyday.

Those are nice looking Tannoys you have there. If you don't have any luck here with stand suggestions, perhaps someone at the Yahoo Tannoy Group. Right now, several members there are embroiled in a bit of a fight that came about from joking about the names of two members, 'Mike Hock' and 'Mike Hunt.' Don't worry, generally the atmosphere there is more mature.

Good luck on finding good stands.
- JP

Charivari,

Thank you for your reply and very helpful information. I followed your advice and put a posting in the Yahoo Tannoy group. And I agree with you on the incredible dynamics of the Tannoy’s. Listening to Charly Antolini's Knock out is a real knock out on these speakers.

About the Qb’s: at this moment there are about three pairs on sale at a Dutch auction site. There's also a beautiful pair of Irs Sigma's, but no room for that. Check www.marktplaats.nl (marketplace) and follow Audio/Luidsprekers. Enter 'Infinity' and hit zoek (search). I send the sellers an email to inform about the quality of the speakers and cabinets. But, most of the time they are in a poor condition. Maybe I’m lucky. For your information the exchange rate: 1 euro is approx. 1,25 dollar.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one else has dropped by this thread and offered up some suggestions. It's not that nobody here uses stands, I guess they're just being quiet with it being the work week.

I brought up the bit about the Infinity Quantums because you said your Qbs were in need of repair. Since AK is big on helping others out on accomplishing repairs, I thought I'd make mention of the possibility of fixing them. The Quantum series has a bit of a following for offering good sound for the vintage and the prices they go for.

That website you posted sure does look to have a lot of good stuff for decent prices. It kind of makes me wish that I was successful in convincing my grandfather to teach me the Dutch language, though.

- JP

Back
Top Bottom