Affordable small speakers to look out for.

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by SX550, Jul 8, 2018.

1. SX550

SX550 Well-Known Member

Still using the old Logitech set i got as a kid but i want to wire up some bookshelves on the SX-5570 to put on my IKEA MICKE desk.

Pioneer made a whole bunch but i have no experience with the small ones.
    Occasionally even see them pop up at goodwill, so which ones should i take a look out for ?

Thanks !

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 0Hz

0Hz Active Member

The only bookshelf sized model I am familiar with are the Pioneer S-500X speakers I recently got for free (one came really damaged in the back) but I think they sound pretty good. They are not what I would consider "small" though. They can be pricey if you find them too.

As for other bookshelf speakers, people often recommend Advent Mini speakers, Mirage, some Boston Acoustics like I think the A40, A60, etc.

I can tell you if you like your low end you are gonna want to get an active/powered subwoofer to go with them depending on the kind of music you listen to. A reasonably sized bookshelf set with ports might help out and let you avoid going for the sub unless you really need it also.

3. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

4. welcomdmat

welcomdmat AK Subscriber Subscriber

There are the CS-33a speakers. I have not had the chance to hear a pair.

I find the look as attractive as it is polarizing.

5. SX550

SX550 Well-Known Member

cs-33a are a little too big for a MICKE desk :p

welcomdmat likes this.
  6. 0Hz

0Hz Active Member

idk I think you're gonna be hard pressed to find anything decent that will fit on that desk with the receiver. What are we talking width wise, for the desk and receiver? Is the receiver gonna sit elsewhere?

You could type "Pioneer Bookshelf Speakers" into ebay and go to town looking through them, find something you like and check its dimensions. Come back with a list of several candidates?

Maybe those Andrew Jones boutique whatever speakers will work well for your space? A bit pricey but they appear to be pretty narrow / tall and fall right into your RMS range

SP-BS21-LR

7. SX550

SX550 Well-Known Member

I have the receiver setup as my main listening rig, the desk is to only contain my screen and speakers wires to output B:)

8. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

I recently picked up some visonik david speakers which I think would be great on a desktop.

9. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton AK Subscriber Subscriber

"Affordable" is a pretty broad term. Would not a pair of the smaller ELAC's released a few years ago fit the bill? "Debut"-something-or-other?

10. kydog

kydog AK Subscriber Subscriber

Realistic Minimus 7’s. I had a pair combo with my Pioneer SA 7800 with fine results. Also paired well with the SX 750.Boston Acoustic A40, Polk 5jr, Mission’s.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Grenadeslio likes this.
  11. Arthur Smith

Arthur Smith Well-Known Member

How about a pair of "vintage" Advent Mini's? I have two pair in my collection, and it is fun to mix and match, for an alternative sound. Think I paid $4 for each pair, and yes, they are 8 ohms. One pair from Goodwill, one from Savers.

12. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

13. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

images (13).jpg
    s-l400 (8).jpg 45e169b8e8cf19fe7dc1557515017dea.jpg
    Cerwin Vega 240 SE or 200 SE are smaller yet with 8 inch woofer

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018 at 12:51 PM
  14. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Emphasis on the small end of the scale:

Minimus 7's
    PSB The Amazing Alpha and derivatives
    Paradigm Atom (various revisions over the years)

15. qguy

qguy Super Member

We can suggest a million models but if those models are not available in your area, then it would be useless. Best would be to check your local Craigslist and goodwill stores and post what is available or check reviews of those models. The receiver has around 80 watts so, which is a lot of watts for most bookshelf speakers and even for most budget floorstanders.

16. satellite65

satellite65 AK Subscriber Subscriber

17. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Canton Plus S, look a lot like the Minimus 7 but with superior components and a resin cabinet. I like the Minimus 7, I have 4 or 5 pair including the wood model, but the little Cantons are on another level. If you can get the matching 12" passive sub, Plus C, now you're talking room filling sound. The sub has a built in high pass filter allowing the Plus S mains play louder keeping free of the lower bass. The setup also came in real wood cabinets, kind of rare so more expensive when they do show up.

maxresdefault (1).jpg x5_46912756081k.jpg 1406302-canton-plus-s-minispeakers-in-black-colour.jpg Canton-Plus-C---Plus-S-46705.JPG

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018 at 6:22 PM
    sfox52 likes this.
  18. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

19. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

The sub also came powered as the Plus B.

Plus C in wood
    dsc047482491ujqpne.jpg

Rear of the Plus B, not sure what kind of connector is needed to connect the Plus S.
    2111_image_3_f.jpg

EngineerNate likes this.
  20. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Just checked eBay and I see there's a pair of the Plus S in the walnut cabinets for sale, these don't come up very often.

Screenshot_20180718-231249.png