After ten years of looking, I may finally have the amp...

:thumbsup:

Rare pieces and well done!

I found a lot of gear over the years including Western Electric.

About the closest I ever got to anything Fairchild was getting an "I know someone that may be able to get a hold one." comment at a hamfest.

For all I know it was a WW2 aircraft reconnaissance camera (which actually would have been pretty cool now that I think about it).

Sherman Fairchild started a staggering array of businesses. They've all been bought and sold to different operations so many times over the years that it's difficult to keep track. The only ones I can think of still operating under the original name are Fairchild Semiconductor (now OnSemi, but they seem to be content to keep using the Fairchild name on a lot of products) and Fairchild Industrial Products Company.

Anyone have a clue what happened to the recording equipment subsidiary? The earliest transcription tables were built by the camera division, but the legendary hi-fi and recording equipment was produced by a separate company that was spun off from the camera manufacturer.

Here's an incomplete list of Fairchild's businesses, which includes a lot of reorganizations, holding companies, etc., and is missing a lot of the non-aviation related businesses (also note the exclusion of the Fairchild Recording Equipment Corporation):
http://sova.si.edu/record/NASM.1989-0060

Last edited:
Let's try this for the fairchild article. I uploaded it to my Dropbox for those that would like to read it.https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s1krjbnqocv0rf5/AADOofyQtVS_u4_DXodeeyw0a?dl=0

Thank you for reformatting that article.

A search reveals the structure is extant today with original interior layout essentially unchanged. Apparently it last changed hands in 2014 for $40M. An architectural tour-de-force beyond any doubt.

My apologies to Dave for the digression...and congratulations on the additions to your collection of Fairchild. :thumbsup:

We finally snagged the 260 from FedEx on Day Three of the delivery cycle, and it made it home safely. One of the July 1955 metal base Mullards lost vacuum when the guide pin broke recently, but I have no complaints at all about the physical or electrical condition before it hits the bench. This one was kit built by an engineer, so it reflects a very ordered mind. This looks like a very simple pull/plug back in refresh, paying attention to the EL34 changeover that Chris has posted.

Unlike the 275s, this has the heather gray transformers rather than khaki, and the red underside rather than the green, and then gray, underside.

Last edited:
Very nice.

Dave...would I be correct in assuming the various colors were used to facilitate differentiation among subassemblies used in specific models during production?

Yeah Seen it. I stupidly missed the pair on the bay which was recapped, not sure this would make sense for me to get. Looks pretty decent shape though.

Hi dave heres the link to the owners manaul and schematic.im also posting here ther revision to el34/6ca7.
Sorry i missed your phone call yesterday and will give you a shout later on towards suppertime.judging by your pictures the amp looks completely stock .those good all capacitors are more than likely all leaking and will need to be replaced.(mine were)the filter caps actually still might be good and might not need replacing but if your getting it restored by a tech you might as well do them all at the same time.fairchildrevision2.jpg
Fairchild 260 manual here.http://akdatabase.org/AKview/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=0

Offtopic but i was digging through some of my fairchild documentation and found a photocopy of the owners manual for the 240 preamp.if you want ill get a copy made and send it to you if you dont have one.

Very nice.

Dave...would I be correct in assuming the various colors were used to facilitate differentiation among subassemblies used in specific models during production?
There could be some truth to that.all 255 or 255a amplifiers ive seen are all grey underneath.first production run 260 amplifiers seem to have the red ,2nd run withe the lowey design front and cage models seem to be all grey.the 260r as they were called also were grey.the 275 seem to all have the green underside.

Back
Top Bottom