Aftermarker S-Arm Headshells, poor QA?

I picked up one of those cheap generic headshells in order to lower tonearm mass.....and it hummed on me with a Grado mounted.

Ended up with a Supex SL-4. No hum.
Never actually weighed it, but it's commonly said to be in the 6 gram range.

I'll be using them for my AT's, not my Grado. Grado is staying on the KAB headshell, no hum.

I bought a Technics clone off the auction site, and according to the Technics overhang gauge and my Stevenson protractor it is aligned properly. However, when I look down on it it does not appear to be square in the headshell (one screw looks further forward than the other). The cartridge appears to be square with the front though. Is this common with cheap headshells, being a bit crooked or the holes are uneven?

I bought a few of them off of ebay a couple of years ago for about $12.00 each. There are three problems with them

1) they are crooked making it difficult to align the cartridge
2) they fit too tightly in the tone-arm. I'm worried about applying too much pressure to the tone-arm bearings when inserting or removing the head-shell
3) they are a couple of grams heavier than the originals. Adding mass at the extreme end of the tone-arm is not a good idea if using a high compliance stylus.

I bought a few of them off of ebay a couple of years ago for about $12.00 each. There are three problems with them

1) they are crooked making it difficult to align the cartridge
2) they fit too tightly in the tone-arm. I'm worried about applying too much pressure to the tone-arm bearings when inserting or removing the head-shell
3) they are a couple of grams heavier than the originals. Adding mass at the extreme end of the tone-arm is not a good idea if using a high compliance stylus.

Thankfully this one is not too tight, fits the same as the Technics. When I had an HK, I couldn't fine any headshells that fit.

KAB website says the original Technics hs is no longer available. Kevin sells a clone that he describes as, "The KAB HS-1 has to be the lowest cost all cast metal headshell currently on the market. A faithful clone of a 1200 headshell. Gold plated end contacts and cartridge pins clips. A little heavier at 9 grams."

At $12.95 each, I thought I'd give them a try. (Stocking stuffer to myself)

KAB website says the original Technics hs is no longer available. Kevin sells a clone that he describes as, "The KAB HS-1 has to be the lowest cost all cast metal headshell currently on the market. A faithful clone of a 1200 headshell. Gold plated end contacts and cartridge pins clips. A little heavier at 9 grams."

At $12.95 each, I thought I'd give them a try. (Stocking stuffer to myself)

Interesting enough, HS-1 is also the model number Audio Technica uses for the same clone design. Makes me think they're probably the same generic. I've bought 2 of the gemini version of this clone, and have been disappointed. Aside from poor finish and casting marks. Both have a canted pin causing the azimuth to be way off. A couple of amazon reviews on the Audio Technica version mention the same issue with canting.

But please let me know how the KAB ones are, if there's no canting I'm probably going to pickup a few of them myself.

I bought Audio Technica AT-HS1 Headshell and it is pretty precise and solid construction. Hole on headshell is exactly into the center.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom