Aftermarket Power cords

ClassikAudio

Does aftermarket power cords make any difference to linn gear. I am under the impression they don't because of the switch mode power supply linn utilizes. Ive even read that some power conditioners have negative effects to the sound of some linn components? Whats your take and has anyone experimented?

I've never tried a different power cord, never really thought it would make much difference. I have tried a couple of line conditioners, one was made by Monster, it lasted about 10 minutes before I pulled it out. It really closed up the sound of my system. I got one for free a few years back that was made for medical devices. I forget the brand, built like a tank, supposedly very expensive.
I listened with this one hooked up for a couple of days, it was very subtle, but it seemed to limit the dynamics some and also take the edge off of some of the detail. I wound up giving to a friend who plays guitar, he uses it on his guitar amp, says it really cleans up the sound. Go figure.

I have not yet, but plan to someday. Not like it sounds bad with the stock one. :music: I do recall hearing/reading from more than a few over the years that actually the switchmode power supplies Linn uses are more sensitive to power cable changes and isolation racks/shelves than conventional power supplies, but Linn suggests using their own power cords, interconnects and speaker cable anyway; go figure.

On Linn, Naim, Exposure, Rega and Roksan, I'd be wary of using audiophile power cords as they seem to be part of the few makers who actually listen to their stuff. They can be bettered but at what price? They all build very expensive gear and if they found a better power cord for their products, they would bring it to market.

of course they make a differnce. the sheilding on high end power cords prevent interferance from creeping into your audio cables.

On Linn, Naim, Exposure, Rega and Roksan, I'd be wary of using audiophile power cords as they seem to be part of the few makers who actually listen to their stuff. They can be bettered but at what price? They all build very expensive gear and if they found a better power cord for their products, they would bring it to market.

I agree, but since they listen to their stuff I think their environment has been engineered to a level beyond reproach, including their electrical concerns. Electricity varies so much from customer to customer, in all areas of the world, perhaps their testing of some power cords made no difference in their listening rooms but may in some inferior customers living rooms, where the electricity is not as good(?) I think its safe to say the worse off you are as far as your electrical grid, the more a difference aftermarket power cords/conditioners will make.

If you want to shield your cables from noise on the AC cable I should imagine that one of those clamp on ferrite devices sold at computer stores would help.

I tried Isotek power cables and a GII minisub, the power cable does not make a jott of difference on my LP12/QUAD based system. The GII minisub gave the whole sound more "clarity" it was very hard to describe. I had the minisub for 1 week and listened to a whole bunch of stuff and I think the clarity did improve but the amount of money they wanted I would suggest that it's not worth it. I think that much cheaper alternatives are available which do the same job, but in last months Hi-Fi World a NAIM power cable for above $400 was reviewed which supposedly did the system no end of improvement.

I use a Majik-1 amp, Karik CD player & Sondek LP12 tt. I haven't tried aftermarket power cables, but I have replaced the original power cable with bigger diameter cable. While I was doing that, I removed the input socket & connected the cable direct to the power board inside each unit. IMHO, it has cleaned up the sound from the cd some, bass response seems better as well, but that may be in my imagination, sort of placebo effect thing. I can't say if there is any improvement from the LP12, as it is fitted with a MC cart, but the phono stage in the Majik is set to MM.

This doesn't really seem like this thread is in the best spot for responses, but I'd say that power cords do make a significant difference at improving performance. So do line conditioners, assuming they are very high quality. Monster's are not quite there - I had the same effect with many of their products closing up my soundstage. Since this RGPC unit, however, I couldn't be happier.

My biggest difference with the WW PC's was bass response, much tigher, refined, and deeper.

I use Naim Tibia power cord for a Lingo & Linto. ( its stock cords were krap )

It's available from NANA. ( 25$ )

Power cords can make a big difference but primarily for components that draw a lot of power. When I added a heavy duty power cord to my subwoofer, it made a huge difference. I put one on my DAC (Denafrips Ares II) and I didn't really hear a difference.

Power cords can make a big difference but primarily for components that draw a lot of power. When I added a heavy duty power cord to my subwoofer, it made a huge difference. I put one on my DAC (Denafrips Ares II) and I didn't really hear a difference.

I put one on my Jolida CD player and the bass got so heavy I had to pull it out. Was amazed that even happened.

Swapping power cords can make a difference.

For example, Naim PowerLines, around £650 GBP made a huge improvement to my Naim components.

Much more detail and depth, plus better control on the bass.

Only problem was that I required six of them.

I don’t know about Linn, but Naim, certainly don’t recommend the use of power conditioners.

As with anything in Hi-Fi, changing a component / cable does make a difference in the sound; If no good, go back to how it was and no harm done. If better, the next question is, is the improvement worth investing the money in.

Whatever you do keep enjoying the hobby of music and Hi-Fi.

DG…

Back
Top Bottom