Ah another fisher 800B...

cooljjay

Well I attempted to get this about a month ago, but it turned into a CL auction so I passed, showed back up and I then thought hmm maybe its a scam. He said no one picked it up, I then said could I have it this time for a straight 50 he said yes. So I went down, turned out it was a 3 million dollar designer home built in 1963, of course now turned into a pier one imports style home. I asked were the speakers were? She took me in to where it was built into the wall and they were gone, she said they were very old, so I imagine they hit the dumpster. The electrician didn't do a good job at removing the receiver from the wall, all knob brights gone, 3 output tubes got busted and the am string popped off and the pulley bent. So now the question is do I restore it? I did an 800C so I could do this one blind folded. I do like the b series better then the c but I was planning on removing the fisher out of my system. I guess at the end it will end up in the other room until I feel the urge or need the $$ for a bill :D It has a very nice chassis, I can't help but to think what the speakers were :tears:

2mzbegx.jpg

25pqtyx.jpg

It looks nice and clean, definitely a candidate for restoration. I have a few Fishers, and those without rust are tough to find.

That's an easy one to restore. Most importantly of all, the dial glass survived. Paul Gryzbek still has plenty of new knob brights. If you ever decide you don't want it, let me know. I have a soft spot for broken down old Fishers.

For this one saved, probably another 100 wound up in the landfill.

Find-out who the electrician was. Maybe he gave the speaks to his son for his band. Sometimes that kind of folloe-through pays-off. Like when I traced the WE 555 and 15A giant snailshell stagehorns from a converted operahouse/theater to the salvage buyer. He in turn, unable to figure-out what to do with them, agreed to sell them to me for 120 bux. You never can tell................

Find-out who the electrician was. Maybe he gave the speaks to his son for his band. Sometimes that kind of folloe-through pays-off. Like when I traced the WE 555 and 15A giant snailshell stagehorns from a converted operahouse/theater to the salvage buyer. He in turn, unable to figure-out what to do with them, agreed to sell them to me for 120 bux. You never can tell................

You just reminded me of something I need to do...

I did and I gave him my card, coming down the ladder he says do you have money? I thought he would say oh there here, I said yes and was serious he was joking. I gave him my card. He said he has a few buddys who have some of this old junk installed in cabinets but they don't want to remove it and look at a hole...we'll see where that goes.

800B's are really nice. Too bad about the busted vacuum on the outputs. Still, for $50? Nice!

Good luck on following up on the speaks.

Yeah the tranny's are worth over $100 easily alone, but that looks too clean to part out

Yep, I have some decisions to make. Its a lot cleaner then my 800C it has a rusted chassis, bad on/off and no stereo fm output but is fully recaped. I was thinking of transferring the new caps from the 800C to the 800B and part out the 800C but then again I can sell the 800C as-is 95% restored and then order the parts to restore the 800B. But I am still scratching my head :scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom