Aha moment

jt01

I had one of those aha moments this week. Back in the mid 70's I purchased a Dual 1249 turntable and used it until its retirement in the mid 90's. I went totally into CDs at that point, keeping only a few of my favorite albums. When I decided to get back into vinyl in 2013, I didn't even think to look for it and went with a Technics SL-D3 I found in a thrift store, as well as numerous thrift store/yard sale albums. Fast forward to this past weekend - I'm moving some boxes around in the basement and there, on a distant shelf, obscured by the boxes until I moved them, was the Dual !! Complete with 20 years of dust and several years of cat footprints on the cover and a Shure V15 Type III cartridge. The belt is intact, but 20 years of inactivity has taken a toll on the mechanism and the arm movement is flaky. I'm going to renovate the dust cover, have the table itself checked out by my favorite tech and then decide what to do with it - maybe a Christmas present for my daughter and son-in-law. So nice to see an old friend again !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom