Ahhhhhhhhh! My $10 Infiniti Monitor II a story!!! Pics

Might be worth paying a pro to fix those, unless you think you can disassemble and reassemble them without damage.

I wonder if Millersound can handle these?

I’m pretty handy I just need to know what to look for. Also I have done quite a bit of soldering. So I think it’s defibaly doable. I need to look for a write up on the disaembaly. I’m sure there is one out there.

I’m pretty handy I just need to know what to look for. Also I have done quite a bit of soldering. So I think it’s defibaly doable. I need to look for a write up on the disaembaly. I’m sure there is one out there.
The Walsh's are a basic 1" 8 ohm aluminum dome tweeter with the center of the dome cut out and the Walsh dome adhered centered on top of the dome.
Remove the cone/dome assembly from the magnet and check for any voice coil wire breaks.
Hopefully the breaks will have occurred well away from the voice coil former and up underneath the flange.

The Walsh's are a basic 1" 8 ohm aluminum dome tweeter with the center of the dome cut out and the Walsh dome adhered centered on top of the dome.
Remove the cone/dome assembly from the magnet and check for any voice coil wire breaks.
Hopefully the breaks will have occurred well away from the voice coil former and up underneath the flange.

Time to get my work bench cleaned off and the solder station out!

Keep a camera rolling while you're working, there are few if any photos of Walsh tweeter repairs online.

Ok so here we go,

I’m about half way done with one.

I’m not sure how to fix the break where it is. But I’ll get there.

The break is where the winding isn’t uniform around the voice coil.

DF4B8CF4-10B7-474D-B7A9-CC1F565DCB55.jpeg 3AF536E3-DBC4-4B1B-8E2F-9B3BFD7A393D.jpeg
You can see how thin the wire is going into the terminal
E716B1AA-A456-4D13-B45D-BD0E6F623CD0.jpeg
The cone was originally glued on sort of off center, I’ll try to fix that when I put it back together
286389D1-173D-4B91-835F-BB2588A71D57.jpeg
Nail polish remover, q tip, and about 30min of pacients. !!!!!!!!GO SLOW!!!!!!!!
E354AA74-B5F4-480B-A907-82F7A494EFFE.jpeg
Just wiggle and apply outward pressure by pinching the cone with your thumb and index finger and pulling outwards, you will start to see light shine through the glue as our make headway. !!!!!!!!!! STILL GOING SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

46E6B255-5F4A-4942-A073-9693CFF64576.jpeg 08237EB8-8970-4335-9266-F466597C733E.jpeg
success
6241E1CF-6662-47D9-A01F-AC7F6F4524C9.jpeg
Remove the magnet, the gasket between the top plate and the magnet is paper and can be easily pryed apart but be very careful around the terminal areas. As the VC wire goes through the paper gasket. I initially tried to de solder the VC wire from the terminal then realized that the VC can stay connected. At theis stage you just have to get the paper gaske torn in the right places to accommodate the separation.
691FC941-34E6-460E-BBA6-B92AC5223CF9.jpeg
The VC wire seems to be wound un-uniformly
381FF8A3-1DFA-4D46-9389-F11BA12497E2.jpeg
This is where I found the break.

Idk if I can in wind and take the break and re solder the break to the terminal of if I have to fix the break itself.

Advise please!

Gots take a break, can’t play hooky from work and my hands are getting shaky.

Nicely done so far, but patching that voice coil may be very difficult, as it was originally wound on the bobbin using a machine, and then assembled. I suspect the unevenness is the result of the voice coil having heated up in the past, which melted the glue holding the wire in place, and caused part of the winding to slide around (and of course breaking the wire at the same time). If the break is in the wire that's closest to the terminal, you can unwind a single winding and then solder it back to the terminal - the loss of a single winding won't be that significant. But any more than that and you're probably asking for trouble.

Not any reason not to try to fix it at this point, but me thinks you'd be better served in the long run by getting a replacement. That uneven winding has to have some negative effect on the driver.

Yes, if you can unwind a single turn you should be good.
Also you can push that unglued voice coil wire back into place with a thin coat of very quick dry epoxy, as long as it doesn't rub within the vc gap.
Since you removed the cone you can always buy a pair of tweeters and cut out the dome centers;)

Here is a possible alternative:

s-l1000.jpg

I think I got it !!!

9B6ADA5C-C8A0-4B28-89C9-997F4D9F6C0F.jpeg
I removed the break, it was a little less then one wrap around the Vc.

I was able to smooth out the winding now I just need to secure it with some adhesive.

Temporarily assembled the VC and magnet and have clean sound coming out!

Yes, if you can unwind a single turn you should be good.
Also you can push that unglued voice coil wire back into place with a thin coat of very quick dry epoxy, as long as it doesn't rub within the vc gap.
Since you removed the cone you can always buy a pair of tweeters and cut out the dome centers;)
What do you think about clear nail polish?

I glued up the broken wing on the cabinet last night late and it turned out ok. The most visible damge at this point is where the dude smacked it against the door jam and took a chunk out of the front edge. I might play with some dark wood fillers to see if I can make it less noticeable, but ultimately happy with it so far. Just makes me sad because the veneer on these was basically perfect for its age prior to the accident.
94AA1671-EC49-4D9D-A26A-186AEDD1BDE4.jpeg F3AC4070-E962-46AD-93C9-4599F8666611.jpeg

Well, just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to help educate me on these speakers!

I have one of the two fully functional. And I have to say I’m very impressed. It official I’m a vintage infinity fan!

I can’t wait to get the second one up and running. I’m enjoying listening to one of these more then listening to two of anything else I have.

Back
Top Bottom