Aimee Mann - The Forgotten Arm

Dave918

Artist – Aimee Mann
Title – Forgotten Arm
Year of Release - 2005
Record Label - Superego
Genre - Rock/Singer Songwriter
Format: CD

I have been meaning to post some thoughts about this disk since it was released, just now taking the time. You know there is something about Aimee’s vocals and the way she crafts a song that just puts me at ease. Doesn’t matter what the song is about - up, down, life or death. So I was glad to hear she was about to release a new album. Her last, “Lost in Space”, was released in 2002.

But then I read it was going to be a concept album centered around a down and out boxer returning from the Vietnam War, his girlfriend, drugs and well - life. Supposedly the concept was born out of her new hobby – boxing. Wow, that was a bit disconcerting, but on the other hand - it could be very interesting.

And interesting it is IMO, although the reviews seem mixed. Some say – sounds the same as “Lost in Space” and “Bachelor No. 2” and everything else she has written. Not to me – it’s a story about the realities of life, love, desperation, pain and heartache. It’s a story – you have to listen and understand the dialogue. It’s a story – not a pop album. It’s a story – about John and Caroline.

Yeah, it’s not on the same level as “Bachelor No. 2” and the quality of the recording could be better. But Bachelor would be extremely hard to beat IMO. This is a solid album that is well structured and filled with well-crafted songs. It’s a story - A story that on occasion I will sit back and get lost in.

-dave

Last edited:
I didn't like it.
The instruments were too forward and drowned out Mann's usual crystal voice.
The good news is once my copy of Rick danko ~Live comes in from Spun you will be able to buy my copy of TFA at discounted price.

The Bad Cop

And I'm an Aimee Mann fan, too. I have Lost in Space:thmbsp:, Bachelor No. 2:thmbsp::thmbsp:, and Whatever :scratch2: . I'm looking for a used copy of I'm With Stupid. (I have GOT to bring a shopping list with me and leave it in the car when I stumble on used music stores!) Dave likes it okay, Alan says no. Jury is still out then, deadlocked at 50-50.
Tom

I've heard a couple of cuts from it, but I'm not necessarily a good source of opinion since I've never liked anything of hers.

Dave, all I could find on the website were clips from Lost In Space:(. I am more than likely missing something there; is there anything from this latest release?
Tom

Okay, if it's possible to judge a CD by three songs (well, it USED to be!) then I would venture to say this latest is one I'll be buying. Thumbs up.
Tom

...which I finally got my hands on yesterday evening. Great stuff, imho just as good as Bachelor No. 2. To me, Lost in Space seems to be the one on a slightly lower level. I give it 9 chef hats out of 10. A keeper.
Tom

Dave918 said:
Artist – Aimee Mann
Title – Forgotten Arm
Year of Release - 2005
Record Label - Superego
Genre - Rock/Singer Songwriter
Format: CD

I have been meaning to post some thoughts about this disk since it was released, just now taking the time. You know there is something about Aimee’s vocals and the way she crafts a song that just puts me at ease. Doesn’t matter what the song is about - up, down, life or death. So I was glad to hear she was about to release a new album. Her last, “Lost in Space”, was released in 2002.

But then I read it was going to be a concept album centered around a down and out boxer returning from the Vietnam War, his girlfriend, drugs and well - life. Supposedly the concept was born out of her new hobby – boxing. Wow, that was a bit disconcerting, but on the other hand - it could be very interesting.

And interesting it is IMO, although the reviews seem mixed. Some say – sounds the same as “Lost in Space” and “Bachelor No. 2” and everything else she has written. Not to me – it’s a story about the realities of life, love, desperation, pain and heartache. It’s a story – you have to listen and understand the dialogue. It’s a story – not a pop album. It’s a story – about John and Caroline.

Yeah, it’s not on the same level as “Bachelor No. 2” and the quality of the recording could be better. But Bachelor would be extremely hard to beat IMO. This is a solid album that is well structured and filled with well-crafted songs. It’s a story - A story that on occasion I will sit back and get lost in.

-dave

Thanks for the review. Aimee Mann is my favorite female performer (my wife's too). Do you have Bachelor No. 2 and Lost In Space on vinyl (Mobile fidelity). They sound great. I was a little let down when I first listened to The Forgotten Arm, but it has really grown on me - Goodbye Caroline is my current favorite track. I think she is remarkedly consistant from I'm With Stupid on, but Whatever isn't too bad either.

Back
Top Bottom