Air Guns

Have zeroed it in at 12/13 yards and am tightening my accuracy, but not lately. It's suppose to get warm up soon and am planning to putting around 50 more group tightening rounds through it. Then I'll see if it's up to thinning the squirrel population.

Big [emoji106]!
Otherwise, how do you like it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I just watched Ted's latest video using a FX Bobcat .25 cal. Okay it's a great gun but I'm not ready to part with almost $2000 for one right now. On the other hand if I had a actual use for one.... it looks like a great rifle.

Big [emoji106]!
Otherwise, how do you like it?

I like the grip. The plastic it's made of has an interesting feel. Visually it would make a killer sidearm for a SciFi noire detective.

I like the grip. The plastic it's made of has an interesting feel. Visually it would make a killer sidearm for a SciFi noire detective.

I seated those aftermarket grips to the frame with orthodontic acrylic, they'll never develop play but come off if necessary. I still have the OEM grips.

Well my old Blue Streak 22 quit (needs seals), so I bought Benji 22 NP Varmint that I like a lot (the shop gun until the Streak gets fixed...). Pretty quiet (shrouded barrel) and it hits with authority. Feels about like my 06 for heft. Fire feel is nice. About like 22 Hornet or similar :)

I like the Nitro Piston system so well I ordered a Regal, but was WAY put off by the plasticky photo wood veneer they used to finish it :( So that one went back and I have a Ruger Youkon en route. Need a pretty rifle for the house where folks will be looking at it. Will use it off the back porch for pests if it shoots reasonable groups at 30m ...

Got some other stuff laying around. Mostly old Daisy Powerline this and that ...

Sure beats gas and fodder going to the range to pull the trigger on a CF...

Backyard fun all the way :D

Cost and skill, depending. How much power is needed to punch paper or make a can dance anyway, and how bout shooting in one's own yard instead of going to a range?
Also, mastering a spring piston gun is a satisfying skill.

Where I live shooting an air rifle in your back yard, if caught, is the same penalty as shooting a firearm. In the eyes of the law/city ordnances there's no difference. This is not some big city, it's a relatively small town in a rural area where hunting, fishing, etc. is normal stuff.

I shoot some Aguila Colibri, Super Colibri, or CB caps out of my rimfires. Not particularly inexpensive, but as quiet if not moreso that some high power air rifles I've heard. Shooting those rounds is probably not as accurate as a good air rifle, but accurate enough for the occasional pest work.

Last edited:
Where I live shooting an air rifle in your back yard, if caught, is the same penalty as shooting a firearm. In the eyes of the law/city ordnances there's no difference. This is not some big city, it's a relatively small town in a rural area where hunting, fishing, etc. is normal stuff.

I shoot some Aguila Colibri, Super Colibri, or CB caps out of my rimfires. Not particularly inexpensive, but as quiet if not moreso that some high power air rifles I've heard. Shooting those rounds is probably not as accurate as a good air rifle, but accurate enough for the occasional pest work.

Here as well. I shoot in my basement.

Back in the late 70s, my friend and I would walk up to a park to shoot. We carried our air rifles mostly in sheaths, but sometimes not. Other than a momentary glance, nothing ever happened. And this was in DC.

Nowadays we would have a SWAT team surrounding us.

Back in the late 70s, my friend and I would walk up to a park to shoot. We carried our air rifles mostly in sheaths, but sometimes not. Other than a momentary glance, nothing ever happened. And this was in DC.

Sadly times have changed. Indoor shooting is always a possibility with range power springers, magnums need more caution. Ca 500-600 fps springers are the sweet spot for value vs accuracy.

And to think I got to shoot a possum out my upstairs window the other night as my wife held the spotlight from the downstairs window...

Man do I not miss living in the city...

Well.. .OK.. maybe a little... Possum isn't near as tasty as DC food was, and I do miss some concerts...

I thought about getting an air gun for squirrel and rabbit hunting, but at least with a shotgun I know I'll always have dinner... Easier to hit them on the run... Other wise, I just can't seem to be able to justify the cost of an air gun when a good one costs more than a good rifle..

Yeah, we used to bring guns to school for firearms training class, and carry them (cased) through town on our bikes to go shooting down by the river.

Hell, now you can't even bring homemade cupcakes to school, has to be storebought and sealed.

I shoot some Aguila Colibri, Super Colibri,
Are those the primer only, no powder rounds?

Quiet is nice. But, i am more about being able to deliver energy. I really like this Aguila round, the 60 grain slug makes a nice thump on arrival:

.22%20sss_zpsv3xtbb8m.jpg

I used to use the colibri rounds. When you fire them the only sound you could hear was the hammer hitting the round. No bang of any sort. You need to make sure your buying the ones in the blue and silver box as they are for rifles. The yellow and blue box rounds are for pistols and don't develope enough pressure to allow the round to exit the barrel on a rifle.

Are those the primer only, no powder rounds?

Yes, they are.

I also shoot some standard velocity and some subsonic rounds. Both considerably more quiet than high velocity 22s, but considerably louder than the Colibri rounds or others like the CCI Quiet ammo. Generally though, the ultra quiet 22 stuff doesn't have enough oomph to cycle a semi-auto whereas the subsonics and std. velocity usually do.

We have our own front yard range right here in sunny California. Air rifles, rimfire & centerfire. Take your pick.

I've been annoying the hell out of the ground squirrel population lately, with my modern Crosman 2100 Classic (yeah, I know, a plastic stock wonder).
I've always had some sort of bb/pellet gun, including a classic Crosman in the late60's/70's. I bought a newer plastic stock Crosman a few years ago, but lived in the city, and feared even being seen with it.
Now, I'm in an Ag. area, and when I asked my neighbors about pooping rodents, they chuckled, that I was afraid of breaking out a pellet gun.
Turns out: they're all gun nuts around me.
One guy has a super-velocity pellet gun, with scope and silencer; he annoys the same vermin with it.
The neighbor across the street came by to tell us that he was going to bust loose a barrage of .38cal rounds; please don't worry or call the cops.
His neighbor, also my neighbor across the street,…. well he uses gopher bombs (oxyacetylene mix injected into tunnels, and set off), to blow up entire tunnels and dens of gophers and squirrels. I'm pretty sure that I hear .22 rounds coming from his grove area as well.
Turns out that my Crosman .177 squirrel popper is fairly minor fireworks around here, and this is in SoCal.

Oh, a note about the 2100,….
I set up a leather work glove at 45' and popped it. The pellet went through two layers of leather (went through back of hand, and out palm), and into the wood stick that I used to hold the glove in place. It seems to have some kick.
I was having a bit of difficulty seeing the end sight in relation to the near sight. So I took some white paint and painted the leading edge of the end sight, and then applied a dot of neon orange to it; major help for aging eyes!

Last edited:
I have a webley scott tempest a .177 cal. It's a spring piston design. Sweet little pistole I use it in my basement mainly in the winter. Had it 25 years and never had to do a thing to it except lub it. When my eyes were stronger I'd shoot nickels at 25 ft.

I've been annoying the hell out of the ground squirrel population lately,
We call em' digger squirrels. Our barn has a dirt floor and they have finally figured out if they get caught in there quality of life is not what it used to be.

I call em a PITA. Digger squirrels works well too.
Damn things burrow into the hillside; then rain water runoff gets into it, and blows out below, into some serious erosion. The problem is, the entrance hole is 50 yards uphill, and to the left or right; good luck finding it.

ACCCHHH!
I just found a chewed thru sprinkler timer/valve cable leading out to my front entry/citrus trees area. The bast'ids chewed the cable off about the height of one of those squirrels, if it were standing.
We also have a mystery monster varmint that builds large nests in our junipers, and drags rather large items into the nests. I've chased it out of two nests so far, and have found a likely new attempt; me thinks opossum. Maybe he got mad at me for blasting his digs apart with a digger bar?

Update to the cable chewing issue:
It took most of the day to repair the cable. I had to dig a new trench, 20' long, and install a new incoming cable run and PVC conduit. I ran the conduit up the power pole about 8' (due to a previous repair), so nothing at ground level can chew the cable again, and made my splice into a junction box. Damn critters caused me a big ol' pile of work today.

Last edited:
I bravely killed a bat with a .177 CO 2 piston my brother left inthe house. Mom didn't want it around my nephews. I figured the bear gun would be overkill especially since the bat was in the house! Dam cat was hanging from the rafters

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Ruger Youkon update: could not get to liking this thing. Wood was OK, action was OK, scope was OK, but the reverse safety (reverse from Benji, Crosman, Gamo, etc.) was really a put off. The thing is so close to the trigger that when you insert your finger, it will push the safety forward (On) if you are not super careful. Missed about 10 good squirrel shots because of that, so it went back ... :( Would work for someone with smaller fingers :D

Got a little QD78D the other day. What a joy :thmbsp: Excellent trigger, nice accuracy, nice stock wood (Chinese Birch...), hits hard enough for small stuff. Seems to go about 50 rounds before the double CO2 powerlets loose enough to start dropping off ... Won't become the back porch rifle as the ranges are a bit long for the 500 fps that it puts out. But overall, nice toy :yes:

Have a Crosman NP 22 wood stock basic model en route to become the "Porch Gun". Will have to do trigger job, gas seal, hinge washers, etc. Wish they'd assemble these a bit better. Might only cost $10 to do it right... Would make life easier on this end :( Would like to swap-on the Benji shrouded barrel as it's easy to grip (pseudo bull barrel) and it really quiets things down :)

But air guns are here to stay. Always have been since I was 7 with a Red Rider and then a Trombone Pump BB :D

Think I'm going to convert the Blue Streak to PCP... Just need to find a kit or a real well thought out video or written hot rod article :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom