AirPlay Is Finally Catching Up to Chromecast

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by chicks, Feb 4, 2019.

1. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Rockyhill and awillia6 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. petes'picks

petes'picks Well-Known Member

I have been hoping someone would come out with a service that sold discounted digital songs and albums of the lesser know artists. I purchased 90% of my my collection from clearance bins when record stores were still around or Used and never saw a reason to use Apple because they do not believe in supply and demand. That whole .99cents a song no matter what just doesnt fly here.

3. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

Apple has never been concerned about market share and Airplay has been around longer than chromecast. it's nice to airplay your data to other devices, but a lot of apple users are airplaying to other apple devices. also i have iphone, macbook, and apple tv, yet i rarely use airplay since i have a headless mac as a music server.

awillia6 likes this.
  4. KrisM

KrisM Lunatic Member

So, with all these TV manufacturers signing on does that mean my 1.5 year old smart LG will be able to update this?

5. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

As the article mentioned, there isn't much that Chromecast has over Airplay for audio since it has been on third party devices for a long time. Personally, I think Casting is on a lot less components than Airplay, but it is cheap enough to add later if you have an HDMI input on that component. The main issue with Casting for iOS users is that it is limited to certain apps rather than every app. This is a big disadvantage for Apple Music users.

Adding Airplay to TVs will be a nice feature, though. It will allow people to access their iTunes Movie library on a phone and send it up to the TV. Personally, I can't remember the last time I used Airplay for video,but I do like the direction that Apple is going...especially the addition of Apple Music on the Echo devices.

+48V and kray like this.
  6. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

7. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

No, this is incorrect. Airplay (1 & 2) is alive and well. Airplay 2 is built into AppleTV 4 and HomePods. They have already licensed Airplay 2 to numerous third party companies. Airplay2 is backward compatible with Airplay, so you do not lose any of the old Airplay features on older Airplay devices.

They quit making the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and both models of AirPort Time Capsule, though the later version of the Airport Express was recently updated to work with Airplay 2 (which is more robust that Airplay).

Your post would be the same as me saying Casting is dead because they no longer make Chromecast Audio. No, Casting is also alive and well.

8. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

Airport and Airplay are completely different. Apple is fully working and promoting Airplay. They just announced tons of new stuff with Airplay 2 at CES last month.

+48V and uofmtiger like this.
  9. Rockyhill

Rockyhill In the meantime, which is a groovy time Subscriber

69D9C55A-6BDD-4354-B23B-D34EB939F22B.jpeg
    Hoping streaming apps will continue to support both methods.

10. +48V

+48V hi-fi or die

kray likes this.
  11. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Sad for audio hobbyists that both the Airport Express and Chromecast Audio have been killed off, but I suppose both companies want to concentrate on higher margin devices, like their speakers...

12. botrytis

It is true. They thought it would be a standard but it is not.

13. botrytis

You are missing the point. Air Play2 is the LAST version they are coming out with. Apple has to protect their big cash cow, the iPhone. The rest are just extras. They are not doing anything more with Air Play 2.

14. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

This is completely false, and airplay IS the standard on iOS devices including MacOS devices. They are slowly building growth away from iphone. They know and understand that the iphone growth is slowing and will keep slowing, while service and subscription is growing. AP2 builds into the services business. If Apple were "protecting it's cash cow" the last thing they would do is kill AP and they would have NEVER allowed Apple Music on Amazon Echo devices, since they have the HomePod.

So what are they going to do when they rip out airplay support from all apple devices and kill off the 3rd party stuff they just announced next year? And if you're proposing a trick question, what will be the next version of AP2 if it won't be called that?

uofmtiger, +48V and awillia6 like this.
  15. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Super Member

16. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

And supported by both my endpoints - a Sonore ultraRendu and RPi running piCorePlayer.