Airport Express gets Airplay 2 update

The Extreme tower is on ethernet to my macPro,
the Express units are all tied via WiFi

Something funny going on here. So your three (now updated) firmware version 7.8 Apple AirPort Express units are the A1264 model with ALL edges rounded and the flip-down power plug at one corner and the LARGE green/yellow indicator light. Yes?

I saw on Mac Rumors that is was 2012 and later devices.
Personally, I only have one 2012 Airport Express and 2 that are older.
I am glad to get one of them updated since my expectation was that they were leaving the Airport Express in the dust.

So you were able to firmware update your AirPort Express A1392 model but NOT your two older model A1264 units? Do I have that right?

Blame my bad Memory - currently I have the AppleTV design airports stashed in some dark corners,
(Left is hiding under the HDTV, right image is beside CDs and next to my Denon TT)
but at some point in time I've owned all the various airport models, even the flying Saucer,
(the 3rd one is tied to an Advent Receiver in the bedroom, where Emma is asleep - so no pix)

AEx-MediaRm_7357.jpg AEx-LivRm_7356.jpg

Last edited:
Something funny going on here. So your three (now updated) firmware version 7.8 Apple AirPort Express units are the A1264 model with ALL edges rounded and the flip-down power plug at one corner and the LARGE green/yellow indicator light. Yes?

So you were able to firmware update your AirPort Express A1392 model but NOT your two older model A1264 units? Do I have that right?
I have not had a chance to check the model numbers. One of the old versions had an update, but it hasn't been plugged in for a while, so it is could have been from months ago. After the update, it did not have Airplay 2.

I haven't had a chance to check the other one. It was on Ethernet and apparently something got unplugged because it isn't showing up in Airport Utility. I will try to update it over the weekend and get back to you.

I do have one area I could use one more of these in, so it would be nice if that last one got the update, but it is one of the older models with the powerplug built in. I may see if I can find another A1392 on eBay, but I bet the value has gone up!

Blame my bad Memory - currently I have the AppleTV design airports stashed in some dark corners...

Yup, those aren't (A1264) "wall warts"; they're (A1392) "pucks," the new (and "cooler") kids on the block.

Last edited:
I have not had a chance to check the model numbers. One of the old versions had an update, but it hasn't been plugged in for a while, so it is could have been from months ago. After the update, it did not have Airplay 2.

I haven't had a chance to check the other one. It was on Ethernet and apparently something got unplugged because it isn't showing up in Airport Utility. I will try to update it over the weekend and get back to you.

I do have one area I could use one more of these in, so it would be nice if that last one got the update, but it is one of the older models with the powerplug built in. I may see if I can find another A1392 on eBay, but I bet the value has gone up!

You're right about the soaring prices of the A1392s, checked last night and the rush is well under way. I'm disappointed the A1264 wall-warts weren't invited to hang with the "cool kid" pucks, but it really doesn't affect my use of the old units (WiFi extension and iTunes library access testing audio components). As long as AirPlay 2 gizmos are downward compatible with AirPlay (1) and I can't imaging that changing...

You're right about the soaring prices of the A1392s, checked last night and the rush is well under way. I'm disappointed the A1264 wall-warts weren't invited to hang with the "cool kid" pucks, but it really doesn't affect my use of the old units (WiFi extension and iTunes library access testing audio components). As long as AirPlay 2 gizmos are downward compatible with AirPlay (1) and I can't imaging that changing...
I could use one more of them, but it isn't in an area I listen to much these days, so I wouldn't spend much on it when I already have Airplay built into the component in that area. I also wish the old AEs got the update, but there could be some technical reason why since they are so old. I am more disappointed about my expensive less than 3 year old Denon receiver not getting an update. However, I have an AppleTV that works with Airplay 2 hooked up to it, so I am covered.

Edit: Looks like they sell for around $100. For that kind of money, I think I would rather just get an AppleTV 4 and spend an extra $30 or so. That way, if I wanted to add a small monitor with HDMI input, I could get Album art and direct control with the remote. I might look at something like this down the road.

Last edited:
I think I would rather just get an AppleTV 4 ...
That way, if I wanted to add a small monitor with HDMI input, I could get Album art and direct control with the remote.

Be careful what you wish for; you just might get it! The ATV4s are absolute junk; buggy, clunky, slow, and come with the single most infuriating remote I've ever had to deal with (worse even than Denon's infamous electroluminescent monster of the late 2000s). Also ATVs (including previous generations) transcode 44.1kHz (CD/iTunes audio rate) to 48hHz (DVD video's audio rate) for your audio gear to deal with. Nowhere near as clean as the AirPort Expresses of any vintage (44.1kHz in AND out).

Be careful what you wish for; you just might get it! The ATV4s are absolute junk; buggy, clunky, slow, and come with the single most infuriating remote I've ever had to deal with (worse even than Denon's infamous electroluminescent monster of the late 2000s). Also ATVs (including previous generations) transcode 44.1kHz (CD/iTunes audio rate) to 48hHz (DVD video's audio rate) for your audio gear to deal with. Nowhere near as clean as the AirPort Expresses of any vintage (44.1kHz in AND out).
Which AppleTV are you using? I haven't had that experience with the 4 and I use it almost every day.

The conversion issue is a problem for those that care about bit perfect audio. I have tried to detect a difference in sound quality and I can't, so I don't mind it.

That being said, the one sticking issue is that the new AppleTVs don't have optical out, so it limits which systems it can be plugged into without an adapter or something. Ideally, I will find some 7 inch display with HDMI in and optical out. I have 2 AppleTV 3s that aren't currently hooked up, so I would use one of them if they gave them an update. I would be surprised to see them updated when Apple wants to sell you the 4k version.

Last edited:
Which AppleTV are you using? I haven't had that experience with the 4 and I use it almost every day.

The conversion issue is a problem for those that care about bit perfect audio. I have tried to detect a difference in sound quality and I can't, so I don't mind it.

That being said, the one sticking issue is that the new AppleTVs don't have optical out, so it limits which systems it can be plugged into without an adapter or something. Ideally, I will find some 7 inch display with HDMI in and optical out. I have 2 AppleTV 3s that aren't currently hooked up, so I would use one of them if they gave them an update. I would be surprised to see them updated when Apple wants to sell you the 4k version.

Agree on the 44.1/48 thing; a niggle at most.

HDMI only for output is definitely a problem and the reason I keep the older AirPorts around; they speak Ethernet/WiFi data as well as optical and analog music, and will therefore connect almost anything to anything else.

You're shitting me on the remote, right? The flat one that is impossible to pick up off a flat surface without dropping it? The one that interprets rubbing on its sides as command inputs? The one that has vastly different responses to horizontal vs. vertical swipes? The one that forgot to include command repeat when a "button" is held down continuously? The one that is always going to sleep so that you have to press MENU and wait for communications to be re-established before you can once again use it for control? THAT remote?

And the ATV 4K 32GB runs tvOS (unlike the previous generation) so there's little likelihood Apple will port, um, improvements to the 4/4K units back to the 3(?) series. My chunky 4K is constantly locking up (the svelte black puck NEVER once did) as well as routinely forgetting its links to my iTunes library running on a pretty robust Mac mini (it knows it's linked; it just can't find ANY music in the the library—WTF?!?!) A measure of the flakiness of the 4K unit is that I can now pretty much restart the goddam thing with that horrible remote without even having to turn the TV on (once comm is re-established, naturally). I have to unplug the ATV4K at least once every couple weeks when it totally locks up and becomes unresponsive to its remote, network "pokes", or WiFi pleas from my IOS devices. BTW, this is all with the thing hardwired to my 1Gb Ethernet, so there's no WiFi complications involved (the IOS devices WiFi to my Time Capsule which has a hardwired connection to the network backbone as does the ATV4K)—a complete and total piece of shit in my book. Boo, Apple.

Of course and as always, YMMV...

Last edited:
Agree on the 44.1/48 thing; a niggle at most.

HDMI only for output is definitely a problem and the reason I keep the AirPorts around; they speak Ethernet/WiFi data as well as optical and analog music, and will therefore connect almost anything to anything else.

You're shitting me on the remote, right? The flat one that is impossible to pick up off a flat surface without dropping it? The one that interprets rubbing on its sides as command inputs? The one that has vastly different responses to horizontal vs. vertical swipes? The one that forget to include command repeat when a "button" is held down continuously? The one that is always going to sleep so that you have to press MENU and wait for communications to be re-established before you can once again use it for control? THAT remote?

And the ATV 4K 32GB runs tvOS (unlike the previous generation) so there's little likelihood Apple will port, um, improvements to the 4/4K units back to the 3(?) series. Mine is constantly locking up, as well as routinely forgetting its links to my iTunes library running on a pretty robust Mac mini. A measure of the flakiness of the unit is that I can now pretty much restart the goddam thing with that horrible remote without even having to turn the TV on (once comm is reestablished, naturally). I have to unplug the ATV4K at least once every couple weeks when it totally locks up and becomes unresponsive to its remote, network "pokes", or WiFi pleas from my IOS devices. BTW, this is all with the thing hardwired to my 1Gb Ethernet, so there's no WiFi complications involved (the IOS devices WiFi to my Time Capsule which has a hardwired connection to the network backbone as does the ATV4K—a complete and total piece of shit in my book. Boo, Apple.

Of course and as always, YMMV...
LOL I have 3 of them and haven't had those issues. I only use one of them regularly, but it works like a charm..

I guess I just don't think a lot about the remote and I have gotten used to it because I use it so much. It beats using the game controller that needs constant updates I got with my Nvidia Shield. I was in the middle of updating the actual Shield and it would not let me restart it until I also updated my remote. I went to get it because I was using an iOS device to control it and it wasn't charged. I just put it aside for later and haven't touched the Shield since then. The Roku remote is chunky and has an Rdio (who sadly are no longer with us) hard button in the remote. The only remote of the three that I regularly use is the AppleTV remote because it takes up no space on my side table and it can control the volume of my receiver. Also, I prefer the AppleTV because of the Podcast/Photo/Computer apps. I also prefer the interface and the ability to put apps in folder, the 4k live wallpaper, Apple Music, etc.

In other words, compared to the competition, I am just fine with the AppleTV remote. I hated it out of the box, so maybe there is something to be said for Stockholm Syndrome? :confused:

I should mention that if I bought one for my side system, I would rarely ever use the remote. It would be dedicated to music/Airplay2.

Last edited:
I was searching for a way to stream plex from my Iphone to hifi system when I cam across this post. I happen to have a A1264 so I pulled it out of the drawer, updated the firmware and found that airplay was available as a choice to setup. So to confirm I have the wall mount unit A1264 and it does have airplay which I am able to stream plex from my iphone to airport express and I am very pleased with the sound.

I picked up a second one which I will use in my garage. WiFi gives me more freedom than bluetooth to walk around with my phone when listening to tunes in the garage.

My 2009 MacPro runs Mojave 10.14.6
My iPhone 6S+ is running IOS 13.3.1

I just checked with the Airport Utility. I have an Airport Express (extreme) Tower in my office next to the MacPro. I have an Airport Express N "Wallwart" in the bedroom, running 7.8.1 firmware, the flat Airport Express N (see picture) running 7.8.1, and another of those flat Airport Express N units in the TV room also running 7.8.1 -
They are all labelled Airplay in various config screens - I don't think any of those do Airplay 2.

AEx-LivRm_7356.jpg

Last edited:
*note* if you are running a multiple frequency router in order to communicate with the airport express both devices should on the same radio frequency. I.E. if Airport Express is on 2.4ghz and your phone is on 5ghz they cannot communicate with each other. I have to manually move my phone from the tri-band wifi setting to 2.4ghz and then I can locate and communicate to the airport express.

The 7.8.1 firmware on the wallwart is the latest firmware which gives access to airplay. Connect your Airport Utility software to the unit and edit the Walwart. The 4th tab is airplay and once you set it up, viola!

I set the A1264 up yesterday and it is now allowing me to stream Plex to my G8000 system. Sounds fantastic!!

IMG_3207.jpg IMG_3208.jpg IMG_3209.jpg IMG_3210.jpg IMG_3211.jpg IMG_3212.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom