Aiwa rack system scroe

scoloheros

Yeah, scroe, I still think that's funny, did I spell it correctly? I found it at a thrift store for $50, I think it was a pretty good deal anyway, for a small room or work area? Apparently this midi is the real deal from the early 80s, weighs over 50 pounds minus the speakers. A bunch of perception confusion these days. This is very solidly made so companies sold out and started copying the look and made endless crap based on the design. And so this look typically looks like junk to most people and therefore this was passed up over and over again. I haven't listened to it, don't even know if it works, another future project. woohooo! Before I get too fired up, has anybody listened to a unit like this, especially wondering about the speakers.

cIpStm3.jpg

DalNf6U.jpg

oVfYygB.jpg

yp30LMM.jpg

TR4Wqbn.jpg

Last edited:
I gotta say, it looks like an attempt at quality, with garish '80's design, was indeed attempted.

Keep us posted!

I gotta say, it looks like an attempt at quality, with garish '80's design, was indeed attempted.

Keep us posted!

I'll take the cover off the amp and post a pic later.

OK got fired up and did it, here's what's under the cover of the tiny amplifier. The case all this fits into is pretty well made also.
zxVCgza.jpg

DfNPyae.jpg

p3P1vaQ.jpg

Last edited:
When Sony bought them and the brand logo was changed to all lower case letters is when it really became crap.

Usually AIWA gear with the all caps logo is pretty decent quality mid-fi.

That looks cool. Good deal but I am a sucker for pre 90 mini systems. Well built probably like 40 watts a side

I'm reading different claims for the watts, Radiomuseum says 150 watts, assume that total. Somewhere else it says 100 watts per channel, don't know. The little 12x8 amp weighs 10 lbs. I thought it was made in the early 80s but looks like it was made around 1986.
That looks cool. Good deal but I am a sucker for pre 90 mini systems. Well built probably like 40 watts a side

I tend to like small quality things too, Toyota, Subaru, I'd rather have a small quality home than a big one also.

Not sure I've ever seen a component that had a built in remote control holder.
I hope those square (?) drivers don't ever need a refoam. Unless foams are readily available.

I'm reading different claims for the watts, Radiomuseum says 150 watts, assume that total. Somewhere else it says 100 watts per channel, don't know. The little 12x8 amp weighs 10 lbs. I thought it was made in the early 80s but looks like it was made around 1986.

I tend to like small quality things too, Toyota, Subaru, I'd rather have a small quality home than a big one also.
I would be skeptical of that. Maybe 50 watts a side but that is a guess. 10lbs vs 100 watts don't add up

I would be skeptical of that. Maybe 50 watts a side but that is a guess. 10lbs vs 100 watts don't add up

That's what I've been thinking, I was surprised to find the service manual on the internet, I found this below. I've come across high wattage amps with not much in them but have sounded really bad, I don't know what to expect.
1WQSObQ.jpg

I'm going to have to inspect the speakers later, like goodolpg said. I can't find a naked pic of the woofer so I'll take pics of that, curious about it.

Last edited:
Do you have a multimeter?

Looking at those specs is puzzling to me. 100watts at 8ohms "10%" I don't get.
Then I look at the THD at 50watts X 2 at .01% tells me it is 50 watts a side.

Do you have a multimeter?

Looking at those specs is puzzling to me. 100watts at 8ohms "10%" I don't get.
Then I look at the THD at 50watts X 2 at .01% tells me it is 50 watts a side.

Yeah I saw that, I didn't know what it means, I thought somebody else might.

I found this, I think it claims 75W per channel, safe to say 50W per channel at least.
http://www.hifi-archiv.info/Aiwa/1986/aiwa08.jpg

I shouldn't complain but I wish it came with the CD player, maybe I'll find one later.

The cassette player looks like a tech nightmare if something goes wrong.

Last edited:
I'm not a spec expert, seems like the full range 20to20 8 ohm rating of 75 wpc might be the"proper" rating?

I took a closer look at the speakers, ..if curious.

There is a sensor in front of each woofer, I almost ripped those wires away, didn't know they were there.
6qtuE43.jpg

Aw3dZW7.jpg

The little woofers don't look too shabby, I mean it's the eighties and a midi system.
smxC2Ot.jpg

dWsRNsb.jpg

The surrounds are good, looks like covered fabric.
VbRGjbz.jpg

One corner was never screwed down.
OL47VO9.jpg

With a cover like that over the tweeter, I expected a tweeter that was just a cheap looking but it's a nice heavy shielded(?) tweeter.
XGQQGro.jpg

Q388a9a.jpg

I want the missing CD player like a 10 year old kid wants 'that' bike.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed pictures.
Those might prove helpful to someone in the future.

*ring ring*

"Hello ?"

"HI, it's the Eighties. Can we have our midi component system back please ?"

Cool system, must have been right around when everything went 'midi' and I don't mean with musical instrument digital interfaces :)

I know what you mean about trying to complete a set. I have an Onkyo midi system from 1990 and I am missing the tuner and remote. It never ends with just one purchase!!!

That's a cool little system, that amp doesn't look like too shabby of a design at all!

Back
Top Bottom