Aiwa TOTL tuner (European model) with no output??

Noreaster

I picked up a circa 1979/80 Aiwa tuner, model 9700, but can't get any sound out of it. It is a European model with the round AC prongs. It is an analog tuner but also has a digital display.

I bought a US AC adapter plug and switched the voltage switch from 220-240 to 110-120. It powers up fine and the signal strength meter shows some life with a makeshift antenna, but I still get no static and no sound. It is clean as a whistle.

I'm baffled. Is it possible this tuner won't work in the US??

Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like the problem may be the digital display: the European & US frequency spacing is different?

Last edited:
I can't help you Noreaseter — but a related question for the others — I have a European Akai tuner. Works perfectly with a stepdown xformer — but there's no de-emphasis switch so it sounds lousy. I'll have to do something internally, but have no clue. Any ideas?

Not familiar with this tuner, no time this morning to look up the manual, but try turning off muting and/or putting it in mono. Could be a muting circuit issue, alignment, or even dirty switch contacts.

Here's a few photos of the tuner I'm talking about (Aiwa 9700). Only the mono light will light up (not the stereo light) and only one of the two tuning lights. I just got the service manual so maybe that will provide some clues.

Attachments

• DSCF3277.JPG
    DSCF3277.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF3279.JPG
    DSCF3279.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF3278.JPG
    DSCF3278.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom