Aja pressings

MBT68

First post here so hope it’s ok.

Was reading about Aja pressings. I just purchased a gatefold copy with nice clean cover AA1006 and wondering what pressing it may be.

Dead wax
A side: T1 AA(scratched b) 1006 (re3)-a T5
B side: T1 AA(scratched b) 1006 (re3)-b-1

There appears to be a very faint B opposite the main info? Wondering if this identifies pressing location?

What I seem to remember reading is that the AA with scratched out B may use the same plates as the AB-1006 which is the first issue and the one worth seeking out. The AB is supposed to sound better than the AA.

I had a AA with scratched out B, but I never bothered to compare against my AB.

I would do some searching on stevehoffman.tv and see what you find. They go in pretty deep on different pressings of albums and you can check references to your particular deadwax info there.

What I seem to remember reading is that the AA with scratched out B may use the same plates as the AB-1006 which is the first issue and the one worth seeking out. The AB is supposed to sound better than the AA.

I had a AA with scratched out B, but I never bothered to compare against my AB.

I would do some searching on stevehoffman.tv and see what you find. They go in pretty deep on different pressings of albums and you can check references to your particular deadwax info there.

There are no sub-par Steely Dan records in my experience. My AA with the scratched out B is VVVVVVVVG

AA is the second press and the AA signified a dollar more price change. ABC changed from the AB to the prefix AA code on albums shortly after the release of Aja, so its common to see AA issues. The AA issues sound nice but a Terre Haute like you have isn't the best. Try and find a Santa Monica.

AA is the second press and the AA signified a dollar more price change. ABC changed from the AB to the prefix AA code on albums shortly after the release of Aja, so its common to see AA issues. The AA issues sound nice but a Terre Haute like you have isn't the best. Try and find a Santa Monica.
Thanks for all the great feedback.

Went out today and found a very nice AB copy that’s supposedly a Santa Maria? Press.

I’ll do the comparison tonight.

Donuou know does the faint B opposite the main info mean anything?
most likely second pressing as well, or even the second stamper made from the mother. Faint scratches in the dead wax might be from marking of steal stampers.

Not sure if I am supposed let you know?:

Setup is a pair of Heresy 3s setup thru an audible illusions modulus 2c and bi-amped Adcom 555 and 535. Klipsch sub as well.

I have a mint AB (really) that I picked up years ago at a garage sell (along with a half dozen other perfect albums from the 70s). I also have a couple of AAs that are maybe good plus. They all sound very fine but the AB is clearly better. I'm not sure if this is mostly do to it's pristine condition? In any case, Aja is simply a fine album to listen to in vinyl :)

Last edited:
I have a German B-1 pressing and a CISCO pressing. I've never compared them. I do know that either one is very enjoyable.

Enjoy,
Rich P

An AB Santa Maria is going to be the best bang for your buck. You should be able to snag a nice one for $15.00 or so (not sure what the op paid fir his). If you want the best and want to spend the coin, the Cisco is a notch above an AB Santa Maria and should run you $100.00, sealed copies will be more. The MFSL is probably $40.00 and is equal with an AB SM with a bit different mastering. I own all 3 and all 3 are winners in my book.

This is what I got...

"Notes:

This pressing (mistakenly?) uses the "ABC Dunhill" moniker on the record labels instead of "ABC Records" like most early pressings.

The back cover also lacks the "AB-1006" catalog number above the "ABC Records" label at the bottom, unlike other early pressings.

Deadwax information seems to be the same as first pressing."

An AB Santa Maria is going to be the best bang for your buck. You should be able to snag a nice one for $15.00 or so (not sure what the op paid fir his). If you want the best and want to spend the coin, the Cisco is a notch above an AB Santa Maria and should run you $100.00, sealed copies will be more. The MFSL is probably $40.00 and is equal with an AB SM with a bit different mastering. I own all 3 and all 3 are winners in my book.
Cheapest Cisco on Discogs is 175...

Cheapest Cisco on Discogs is 175...
I've seen used copies pop up for $100.00 and the last few used copies sold on the bay for $90-$100.00.

When it comes to rarer or hard to find titles, Discogs is probably the worst reference page imo. Sellers throwing a crazy price on the wall and hoping it sticks.

Back
Top Bottom