AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

Robie,
I agree, they are beautiful. The front will be a vintage AR-XA, discussed in another thread on audiokarma.
Joseph

^ I like it. I have actually wondered whether the Audiokarma.org logo was made from some available font, which could be used for Indignia serial number plates.

Blast, I never thought serial number plate envy was possible, until now.
I'll just have to rationalize that I spent the extra money on binding posts. But seriously, very nice work.
Joseph

Hello All,

I've been lurking for quite a while trying to learn about these speakers. I did a bit of experimenting with building speaker cabinets. It is definitely tougher than it looks. One cab came out pretty square. The other not so much. Also had some problems fitting the port tube in the odd ball cab. The dremel trimmed enough to stuff if all inside. They are all sanded, painted, poly'd, glued, soldered, bolted up. And they work!!!!

Source material is run thru an iMac using Audirvana to a Schiit Modi Uber 2 DAC to a Schiit Vali 2 PreAmp to a Hafler DH200 Amp to the Indignias.

I am giving them some burn in time before really listening critically and/or comparing them to my regular speakers, B&W LCR600s. This is not really a fair comparison, but I am expecting a lot out of my little speakers.

I ended up using the RayW mod to the crossovers, using the air core 1.5mH instead of the iron core. This required laying the .25mH air core flat and turning the 1.5mH to the side of the board (away from the other air core). They are about 3.5 inches apart, which might be a bit too close. I did what I could to eliminate the crosstalk.

Anyway, here is the pic. I used birch 3/4" plywood on all surfaces.

my indignias.jpg

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the guidance. Now I think I need to make another pair of speakers.

Mitch

Beautiful work. How do they sound even if not fully burned in?

And, Welcome to AK!!!

The sound stage on the Indignias is surprisingly large. However, the tweeters seem to be louder than the woofers. Vocals are very clear. Some lead guitars are precise, while others sound more distorted than they should. This is in comparison to the B&W LCR600s.

I am still working on speaker positioning. It takes a while for me to find the sweet spot.

While they will fill a room and image very well, I'm using mine nearfield on a small desk in a tiny hutch now. What I like about them is their smoothness and non-fatiguing sound quality. In addition, to my tired old ears, they go quite low.

I have them running on a tiny TubeCube integrated for my desktop, computer based system.

The TubeCubes are 3.5w+3.5w right? How much volume are you getting out of the Indignias?

With the Hafler 200w, it doesn't take much to get them too loud.

I must be getting old, because too loud wasn't possible in my younger days.

I get sufficient volume in this tiny 4' wide alcove that houses my desk. At full volume it gets a bit wooly but I usually listen at low volume when the wife's still sleeping. We work slightly opposed schedules.

have a pair of the Andrew Jones SP-22LR and some small Kefs (rebadged Celestions) that I'm going to switch out soon but there's a reason the Indignias are there now.

...However, the tweeters seem to be louder than the woofers... ...Some lead guitars are precise, while others sound more distorted than they should. ...

Double check your wiring. If, for example the 7 ohm resistor or, some other component(s), were bypassed the tweeter WOULD be playing louder than it was designed to. At loud volume levels this may result in its early death.

Yes, and welcome to AK!

I actually used the 8 ohm resistor (as per the RayW mod). I rechecked the solders and the placement of each component. It all looks good.

I turned the speakers upside down (woofers top side). They sound loads better to me. This may be because I am used to listening to B&W LCR600s standing up with woofers above and below the tweeters. I don't know, but I am all smiles this morning.

Blast - Thanks for the suggestion to check the wiring.

The tweeters are definitely 8 ohm. The tweeters overpowering the woofers is no longer that much of an issue with them upside down. This puts the woofers at ear level and the tweeters below.

There does seems to be some distortion in the midrange, possibly from just the right speaker. I'll have to play with it a little, compare it to other speakers. It may be the recordings and I never noticed the distortion before.

I was thinking of replacing the 7.5uF Cap in the right speaker. Is it possible for the cap to go bad?

I'll probably wait a while before ordering more caps. It sucks to buy a $3 part and pay $6 shipping. Who knows maybe they need more break in time.

Back
Top Bottom