AK Fest 2004, Southfield, MI Pics

Foreplay

This is a Foreplay, I think. Simplicity, but in the most complex way possible. Laudable for the craft factor alone, but the concept is mindblowing.

Old meets New

Pioneer SX-1250 and 9191 cassette, with rare Kenwood audio scope. SACD player source. (Which one is this again, LVB?). Not shown: room clearing JBL L-65 Jubal speakers. This rig passed the Stupid Loud Test with flying colors.

Amygdala

Buggtussel Amygdala speaker. So pretty you want to get down on one knee and give it a ring.

Rogers LS3/5A speakers, Royd speakers, Sony XA20ES CD player (I must get this from LVB somehow), SE 6SL7/45 headphone amp, The Ultimate Williamson/Heath 4.5 monos and their power controller, and mug of cold audiophile grade coffee. A typical Bauhausler last minute redeye lashup.

hey dgwojo, if you bring your A7's next year give Pink Floyd a call, maybe they can demo them for ya..........kool.............

Wow! all those Golden Ears in one room. I was thinking about you guys while at work today. The arguements on who was hearing what, and pretending to hear what everyone else was hearing. The fighting over who gets the sweet spot. The in and out swapping of gear to compare which is better, and all the beer sampling to determine which beer was best when listening to music. And finally the joy that swept across all the Aker's faces in attendance when the police came in to shut the event down because of the foundation cracks they created by playing all those powerfull speakers.
I wish I could have been there.:pity:

Originally posted by soundhd
hey dgwojo, if you bring your A7's next year give Pink Floyd a call, maybe they can demo them for ya..........kool.............
If they're willing to show up, I'll bring 12 A7's, a pair of Model 19's, and a pair of Model 17's, would that entice them?? I'm sure we can come up with all the amplifier watts, we'll just need alot of muscle and moving truck. :)

Originally posted by dgwojo
If they're willing to show up, I'll bring 12 A7's, a pair of Model 19's, and a pair of Model 17's, would that entice them?? I'm sure we can come up with all the amplifier watts, we'll just need alot of muscle and moving truck. :)

Hey Grumpy, better plan on getting the "big" room that was across the lobby next year ...........Floyd is coming............:rockon:

Originally posted by Haoleb
ok, whos the one face you can defintively pick out of the crowd without being there?

Reel2Reel ! lol

That wasn't me..that was my 'NICE' twin...I'm the 'EVIL' one...I sent him in my place.....

What's with the elf in this preamp?

I didn't see this at the time, but the pics of the insides of this extraordinary preamp show a tiny man in there. LVB says it's something to do with the remote control. I think it's time for someone to come forward and explain this thing.

while in the chat i forget who it was said those are transformer volume controls :dunno: i never heard of anything like that before. perhaps someone can explain!

Thats a figure of Doc Bottlehead. Dang - it is his spitting image!
It is really a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp highly modded

TVC used as volume attenuators S&B TX 102 copper windings. Check it out at Bent Audio ( John Chapman)
Can easily be adapted for use as passive attenuators :uzi:

Originally posted by ImTweaked
Thats a figure of Doc Bottlehead. Dang - it is his spitting image!
It is really a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp highly modded

TVC used as volume attenuators S&B TX 102 copper windings. Check it out at Bent Audio ( John Chapman)
Can easily be adapted for use as passive attenuators :uzi:

Thanks for the insight. I follow you on the tapped inductors used as attenuators, but I'm not familiar with this particular transformer or Bent Audio. Can you supply links for the curious?

ImTweaked, is that yours?

Very cool. Both from the mod/component aspect and visually! I would have loved to see/listen to it.

Bauhausler, You can find information on the Bent Audio preamps at Bent Audio. You can buy the S&B Tx102 attenuation transformers outright, or in the NOH preamp kit...or in the assembled NOH preamp from Bent Audio.
There are also a few other manufacturers using different versions of the Tx102 out there. It's nice!

Bauhausler
They also make a unit for use as a step up for phono use....I have heard it and it is smooth..pricey but smooth. John has a forum where the people are helpful also.

gonefishing
Yes thats my preamp and Thanks for the compliment. It took ahwile to complete :) Too many projects ....
BTW- I am waiting for my salad bowl from Bruce! Heard the Titans at the Lima MAF in the big room; then at VSAC in a tiny room and again at CES2004 They sounded great in all venues! Decided to comit! I have a pair of mint original D 130 for the bass bin Although at this time I am trying to use it without a cabinet and do an exosketal rigid external framing.With alot of damping. Bruce seem to thin it should work.
Sald bowl gets the JBL 2240 with 2241 Diaphram and Fane on top ...Magnetar has been mentioning Fostex 903? Have you tried diff tweets on your Edgars?
At CES(04) Alex Peychev (SACD1000 guru) told me that at that time there are only 2 units with his 4 parallel DAC version of the mod- His and Mine. This unit is eerily good. I have been all vinyl for over 30 years and only collected CD within the last 3 and can begin to say in some recordings .......its very close.
Your "Factory production lineup " of Titans is sweet!!:) From Pics looks like beautiful cabinet work.
Check out my 300B pics http://wardsweb.org/tonyho/Bauhausler

Thanks for the link to the Bent Audio site. If I don't pry myself loose from this site I'll never get anything done today. That's beautiful stuff.
I'm with you on the need for high quality attenuators to preserve the best of the sound. My favorite 'preamp' is a custom made shunt/variable attenuator built on a huge Shallco rotary switch. The pass element is a Vishay bulk foil resistor and the switch position selects a single Dale resistor as the shunt for that volume setting. It has two switched inputs and 2 outputs. The sound is very clean and sounds better to me than any active preamp I have compared it to. Being a passive, it has serious functional limitations involving source and load impedance so it can't be used in every system configuration. In some configurations a powered preamp sounds noticably more dynamic if slightly less clear. I'll have to investigate the tapped transformer option. I know of one other company that makes them. The name Silver Rock comes to mind. They're costy compared to an Alps pot, but not if you're contemplating a high quality resistive attenuator like a Daven or a DACT.
I would be concerned about the bandwidth, maximum level and phase shift. That will have to be investigated. Great concept, though. When using magnetic products to pass line level signals, phase splitting and 'balanced' operation is an attractive option. There are benefits in reducing common mode noise, and presenting a 'split' signal to a Push Pull tube avoids having to engineer that part of the circuit. It allows the amp to be entirely symmetrical from input to speaker taps.
Regarding this preamp, I wish I had sought you out to chat about it. I came in the room multiple times to stare but you were engaged in conversation. It's quite an achievement. The cylindrical copper bits look like they were adapted from water pipe fittings. Am I right? I love the baroque mad scientist-y look. This piece is not for every system, and it should sit by itself for best aesthetic effect, but what a statement. Knowing the Foreplay circuit, it probably sounds pretty grand as well.
Is the copper clear coated or did you spend half a day polishing it for the show?

Thanks
I have used the word ecclectic with my Audio packaging enclosures. Spent 30 years doing black boxes and middle ground enclosures for general market - it does get to yer :) Even the awards were appreciated but the satisfaction wanes...
When I decided to get back to audio DIY I kept reminding myself of the times( at the corporate offices) that I wish I had a free hand in the design direction - now I do and and liking it ! my goal is enjoy myself in the whole process with significant audio results for a "reasonable" ( relative of course) budget.

I have tested the direct passive and seem to edge towards the Foreplay with the TVC in place ; instead of a bank of resistors or the passive alone. Yes I will concurr that in a direct passive; there is a clarity edge ( albeit minute in my system)...........I have a preference for the delicate warmth and musicality through my tweaked Foreplay. It has been awhile I may check the passive again using the TVC

Before the decision to purchase the Seidens and TVC I did consider various top quality resistors a (few changed their designs) ; some were new names to me and it seemed to be a commitment to a product with high variables- Not to mention availability downstream. Price came out to be about the same now but the TVC is a constant with no resistor chase . I always wanted to minimize using resistors( especially in signal path) and capcitors where possible and this is one step in that direction.
This modded FP have bested a few pricey preamps :)
If it is Audio related - Just do it!

oops forgot to answer your Q

No tooling money or machinist relatives- Yes copper fittings
Actually have not polished since VSAC. Fingermarks all over
Oh ! there is a remote control for volume - Lost my exercise program:smsex:

Back
Top Bottom