AK Fest 2004, Southfield, MI Pics

Discussion in 'AK Fest 2004' started by dgwojo, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Bauhausler

Bauhausler Rational Subjectivist

Re: oops forgot to answer your Q

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking at the S&B tapped transformers with interest. It's not the kind of thing I can pick up on a whim to experiment with but if it looks like a good solution I can make it a future project.
    Yes I did see your remote control arrangement. The tiny toothed belts look look so cool and industrial. Is that remote rig the one with the stepper motor that Bent Audio sells for the DACT attenuators? Their price ($225 all up) seems extremely reasonable for that functionality.
    You're certainly making up for time lost doing black boxes for 30 years! That's about as un-boxy and non-black as you can get.
    I have a weakness for the unusual in audio. My Maplenoll turntable is an example. I rarely use it but it looks nice. See the members' gallery for pics. There's also a shot of the rosewood armboard I made for my Thorens ttbl to replace the boring black one. Turntables generally seem to be fertile ground for odd aesthetic ideas to sprout and to work well.
    I'm so sick of the black box thing. There's no excuse for a consumer product that you have to press your nose up to to see the markings on the controls. Nothing has worse ergo than consumer audio gear. I think the reason people accept boring and minimally functional front panels is the remote control. Back in the day of fancy tube receivers you were face to face with your gear on a frequent basis and how it looked and felt mattered. Now you never have to go near the thing to do anything so why should it look good? What we have instead is some great looking remote controls, although they could be better too. On a lot of gear I'm finding there are functions that can only be done from the remote, and maybe that makes sense for setting up a HT receiver.
    Well, I gotta drive across town for a chip to fix this crossover thingy but I'll return to this thread later today.
    I'm curious about ImTweaked's location. I'm near the Detroit Zoo. Where are you?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bauhausler

One more thing. You still haven't explained the elf standing on the attenuator switch in your preamp.

3. gonefishin

gonefishin Super Member

Good deal!

Which saladbowl are ya gettin'? the 350Hz or the 500Hz?

I haven't tried different teeters with them. I've heard different compression drivers...but with the tweeters...I just figured I'd go with the Fane's...basically...because I liked what I heard on the TiTans.
    Sometimes to keep costs down...a man's got to go with what he knows sounds good, instead of spending money to find something that may perform better.

You've got one of the modded sacd1000's?

I've been hoping that I could get mine modded one of these days...but as the price goes up and up...I don't know. it's really getting to expensive for me. After I'm done fooling around with amplification...I would like to look into getting either a better (pretty decent) CD player...or perhaps getting the sacd1000 modded.

If you wouldn't mind...would you be able to put a review of the stock & modded sacd1000 in the reviews&opinions forum?
    What Cdp's did you have before, that you would compare the modded player to.

ok...suppose I'm getting a little off topic...maybe I'll wait for a new thread.

Bhaus...I've got the stand alone Bent Audio NOH tvc preamp...If you become more interested in one...if I could get a free day...maybe I could drive up and let ya try it.

We'd just have to wait until we both get a day that'll work. But hey...if your thinking about one...it may be worth a try :)

4. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

"Bhaus...I've got the stand alone Bent Audio NOH tvc preamp...If you become more interested in one...if I could get a free day...maybe I could drive up and let ya try it."

GF

If ya do that let me know since my place is only a mile or two from Bhaus.

Grumpy

5. gonefishin

gonefishin Super Member

:thmbsp:

6. ImTweaked

ImTweaked New Member

Bauhausler
    I thought I did!...the elf is Doc Bottlehead. It is my tribute to him for the Full bottlehead system I buildt. Thats why I said (tongue in cheek) "Dang it is the spitting image of him"

Grumpy
    Just wanna say THANKS as part of the Team to set AK =Fest up. I know and appreciate the hard work!!!

gonefishing
    You are scary to me!;)
    first you are the first owner of the Titan that i am communicating with

Then you own SACD 1000
    IMO there is no other guy to mod the SACD 1000 than Alex. The man knows CDP .Period. Way I look at it I have blown away Chords Dac ( English 3K I believe) and other high price Sonys.
    I was at VSAC and heard the Mod wright ;Alan Wright and John Tuckers mods ...although the room was difficult to assess...just say I am very comfortable that I went with Alex.

If Grumpy and BHaus and you want to come by to listen just let me know. Heck you have a place to stay ...I am empty nested. That is if you dont mind sleeping with JBLs and audio parphanalias

And Then you flyfish - Shit ( I mean gosh darn it!) ( My nephew who lives in Chico ;Calif and a Dentist - owns a Fly fishing outfit for Salmon and Shad ( my Fav). I just found this out and have not fish with him except 25 years ago when he was a toddler!
    If you wanna do a serious fishing trip in Calif. on the American river LET ME KNOW. He charters Salt Water FF in the caribean and Baja!- Now that is serious! BTW my nephew caught a Permit; Tarpon and Bonefish in a day...that is considered a grand slam in fly fishing.

BTW I have a Hardy 6 weight 4 piece graphite you would think it is a 2 piece if blindfolded : ) Comes with a 1/4 inchthick leather cylinderical container !
    Is that enough to get you over here??? if not ..My other business is Flyfishing paintings --seriously!

350 hz salad bowl ( dang wish I did not skip typing class in high school this is slow....)
    Everything is Bruce suggested. I am getting his 80 Hz bass shell and Xovers as well.

7. gonefishin

gonefishin Super Member

Hi again Tweaked :D

I don't have the TiTans, but that would certainly be nice. The speakers I have are a DIY version...they're a bit different than the TiTans...but do sound similar.
    Do to money and space constraints, I don't have the basshorns and sub. Instead, I have some TAD1601a woofers in a sealed cabinet with 2441's on 500Hz bowls(instead of the TiTAn 350Hz) and Fane tweeters.
    However, I guy that lives near me does have the TiTan system...so that's kinda nice too ;)

I've followed his posts...but man, the price is getting up there. I'd love to see/read your opinions on the stock versions Vs the modded unit.

Are you kiddin'...I'd sleep with the audio paraphernalia just to get to the JBL's :naughty: just don't tell the wife that ;)

FlyFish? Well, tho I like it...and appreciate it. MikE is really the fly-fisherman. Me, I mostly do small water/river fish. Don't get me wrong...I love all kindsa fishin'. But fly-fishing is an art form I could watch...but when I perform it...it is hardly anything close to an art form :(
    Flyfishing paintings? Got any links?

Isn't Bruce one of the nicest gentlemen you could ever meet! Did you get a chance to listen to his new slimline signatures? I could imagine how they sound...from hearing some of the components separately.

so...do you have any more pictures of stuff you've made? I'd love ta see some more of your work. Have you tried any of the gainclones? We're getting a group project ready to start soon. Even if you still prefer tubes...you'll still be impressed how a "stock" low cost version of the gainclone can sound on a HE system such as the TiTans. After building the stock unit...I'm intersted in finding out how the amp improves when tweaked :D

take care>>>>>>>>

8. ImTweaked

ImTweaked New Member

I've followed his posts...but man, the price is getting up there. I'd love to see/read your opinions on the stock versions Vs the modded unit.

I have a denon and a sony 333es and came across this SACD1K.
    I seem to have saved 6db since modding it. i.e. I play at least 3 clicks less
    redbook is so much closer . More dynamic and spatial - detailed with out being harsh across full spectrum.
    Sound stage is very apparent compared to the other two and before moddingI've followed his posts...but man, the price is getting up there. I'd love to see/read your opinions on the stock versions Vs the modded unit.

No Gainclone experience...is there a site..on the other hand wait till I finish the Titan : )

New Slimlines at CES are better than the ones at MAF ...If i got them correctly, B edgar is the man!I've followed his posts...but man, the price is getting up there. I'd love to see/read your opinions on the stock versions Vs the modded unit.

9. ImTweaked

ImTweaked New Member

Sorry for the srewup in trying to quote below.... new to site:confused:

10. rgrjit8

rgrjit8 Mental Toss Flycoon

In the group photo...who is the trippy looking dude with the beret and white moustache.

What do your name tags say? Do they have both your real first name and your AK handle?

11. Bauhausler

Fishstink. Don't remember his name, unfortunately. A real character.

12. Audio Flynn

Audio Flynn New Member

He looked like he could have been David Crosby's relative; if i am remebering the same person.

13. Bauhausler

That's the guy. I dunno where the name comes from. He smelled OK at the time.
    Livonia, huh? I'm by the zoo in Hunt. Wds. Grumpy's in Berkley. I ran into him & his son Grumpless at the Berkley P.O today. Small world.
    Come by this spring when Hunt Wds has the annual garage sale day. We're going to try to fill my front drive with as many vintage speakers as possible and if we're lucky not have to bring them back into the house. Never mind the address. Just roll down the car window and follow your ears.