AK Fest from a first timers perspective.

doucanoe

Registered Audio Abuser
Now that I have fully recovered, I figured it was time to add my thoughts and thanks.

I have wanted to attend the AK Fest for several years now. Each year when Fest time rolls around, I seem to have some stumbling blocks in my path so I have reluctantly passed. This year was looking to be the same but with some prodding by Retro Stereo, I decided that it was time to go. I felt all along that it would be fun to attend, but never realized what a blast it would turn out to be. Meeting people and making friends online is great but meeting them in person... well, makes the experience 10X to say the least. Hard to put into words really.

After we got set up and settled in late Friday night, I had the pleasure of shooting the bull with the good Rabbi until about 3:30AM. I think that we solved all the world’s problems or at least identified them :D. After 3 hours of sleep, we were up and back at it again and rolled into 2 days of great music, gear and fellowship. It don’t get any better than that people!

Sharing a listening room, I probably ended up seeing 1/3 of the rooms at best. You would get around a couple and then end up meeting some dudes and shooting the bull for an hour. Damn it was fun! Next year, I hope to get my wander on more.

Special thanks to Retro for making me go in the first place, djnagle for the 300b loaner (Thanks buddy, it really made my Tannoy’s sing) and the rest of you fine folks too numerous to mention, that made AK Fest 2009 an experience I will not soon forget. Last but not least, Grumpy, Ernie and the AK staff all their hard work and putting on one fine show!

If you haven’t already been to one of these, you really need to go. My online AK experience will never be the same because of it.

RC

I'm glad I had the chance to meet you in person Ron!

Considering we both have swapped/traded audio gear for the last couple of years and kept the phone companies in business during that time, but this is the 1st time to actually meet in person.

Regards, the Ohio Ron

It was nice meeting you too!

I saw another guy there, white shirt, black lettering, walking around and muttering something about tubes under his breath!! :)

Pete

Great to finally meet you, Ron. Like so many others, I wish we'd had more time to chew the cud.

Ken

Oh man Ken, I know what you mean. Time just flies buy too fast. I kept thinking that I would track you guys down and hang out for a little longer but before I knew it, it was time to pack up and go home. Next year my friend!

Ron and Pete, It was great meeting the both of you dudes in person finally. I going to have to take a trip down there and see you guys sometime. I need to get harassed in person by Ron about my x-over execution. Getting shit over the phone just isn't the same :D

Damn glad you decided to make the trip Ron. It made my day :yes:

RC

Last edited:
It was great meeting you Ron. I hope to see you again next year. I'm trying to convert a few of the Chicago crowd and get them to attend. Hey, perhaps next year a few of us non member room AKers could spell you guys for an hour or two.

It was great meeting you Ron. I hope to see you again next year. I'm trying to convert a few of the Chicago crowd and get them to attend. Hey, perhaps next year a few of us non member room AKers could spell you guys for an hour or two.

I think you had the room down pat Ed. I know I could have left the room in your more than capable hands, but I was enjoying our conversations too much to leave anyway :yes:

I would certainly take you up on you offer next year if you had the time and were still willing.

Just keep that djnagle guy outta there. He's nothing but trouble :D

RC

Hi Ron....you probably didn't recognize me but....:butt1:
Just kidding bud....
It was great to finally meet you and being able to spend time with you & the gang was phenomenal...It does really go fast doesn't it...:sigh:

Hi Ron....you probably didn't recognize me but....:butt1:
Just kidding bud....
It was great to finally meet you and being able to spend time with you & the gang was phenomenal...It does really go fast doesn't it...:sigh:

Next time just slap me upside the head Bill. That usually gets my attention. :D

It was great to meet you, Ron. You've gotta make Fest a habit!

It's in my blood now I'm afraid Rich. Come hell or high water, I'm going to the next one :thmbsp:

RC

I need to make it to one of these and try to remember that I've been to one of these. :)

Scott

Hey Ron! Had a blast meeting and hanging out with you, Greg, Paul, Glen, Ed, Dave, Scott, Todd, the two Riches, Lori, the two Bills, Debi, the three Eric/ks and well...everyone! :yes:

Man you guy`s are making me really,really jealolus. OK next year for sure! Maybe Three days-thats if Grumpy woulnd`t shoot us for asking? :scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom