AK - Here's my system, what's my bottleneck? TT upgrades...

You're fortunate to have very high efficiency speakers that will play very loud with a few watts and that's why I'm recommending a SET amp. This $100 amp would be a major sonic upgrade for your system. I have an original APPJ/MW that put my Classe CAP-101 to shame.

APPJ-Mini2013-6J1-6P1-Mini-Wzmacniacz-lampowy-Oryginalny-miniwatt-Mini-Rurki-Wzmacniacz-Hifi-S-uchawki-Muzyczne.jpg

You're fortunate to have very high efficiency speakers that will play very loud with a few watts and that's why I'm recommending a SET amp. This $100 amp would be a major sonic upgrade for your system. I have an original APPJ/MW that put my Classe CAP-101 to shame.

APPJ-Mini2013-6J1-6P1-Mini-Wzmacniacz-lampowy-Oryginalny-miniwatt-Mini-Rurki-Wzmacniacz-Hifi-S-uchawki-Muzyczne.jpg

Interesting, so what makes that amp better than the HK430?

I got those speakers because the HK isn't super powerful :)

Looking into the Nagoka and Grado, both seem like great fits. I definitely find the 2M red bordering on shrill, I have the treble turned down to balance. Warmth of the Nagaoka sounds promising.

The Grado may hum on the Project. Poorly shielded motor is the source of the hum.

There are scores of articles explaining the advantages of single ended triode amps. Here's just one.

http://www.decware.com/paper43.htm
Thanks, I'll look that over.

Appreciate all the responses! Feel like I understand a little more about where I'm at, which is the goal. The cartridge is probably the weat spot, with some room to upgrade without a new table. I've been fortunate to have zero hum on mine.

Started a list of cartridges to watch out for.

Interesting that the phono stage hasn't been talked about much. I'm just entering the world of the phono pre myself and I can already tell there's a marked improvement over using the phono input on my integrated amp.

There's a ton of options for the phono stage whether you go mass market, boutique or DIY, there's a lit to chose from. Perhaps look here before upgrading a whole turntable.

Perhaps you should look at various methods of vinyl cleaning / care too because those can yield surprising results.

Perhaps you should look at various methods of vinyl cleaning / care too because those can yield surprising results.

Definitely +1, and like your thought about the pre amp.

It would be really nice if there was a service where you could borrow something for a week and see how it worked. I could easily drop $1000+ based on the suggestions from this thread and still be wondering about the next step.

Either way, it has rekindled my love of music and makes me happy.

Alright, knowing how my mind works here's my fear. From what I've been able to find the phono preamp on the HK430 is decent to maybe good. If I go with the bronze, do you think the phono pre will be able to do it justice?

If I throw in a preamp and acryl-it platter, +bronze I'm looking at almost $1000. Starting to think a 2M Blue might be a better compliment to the Debut Carbon and the HK.

Back
Top Bottom