AK Lingo

Great thread Oz!

I am still trying to learn all the "vernacular" so it is both funny and helpful at the same time.

Still a noob (btw, NOOB, or NEWB - new member on any forum) but I'd like to take a stab at "racooning a wooger". Feel free to LOL if it's totally wrong, but is it when you refoam the surrounds around a woofer?

SPL - Sound pressure level, or measure of a speaker's sensitivity. Some speakers are 'louder' than others, or require less power to reach the same volume. Measured in decibels one foot from the speaker with a one watt input.

Actually SPL is just a measure of the sound pressure referenced to 20uPa (micro Pascals) and expressed in dB. It is used sometimes for speaker sensitivity but it's much more general than that. It's just a measure of how loud a sound is. And I'm sure you knew this and just mistyped, Louie, but speaker sensitivity is usually give at 1 meter.

More speaker terms:
XO - crossover
HPF - high pass filter
LPF - low pass filter
OB - open baffle
PR - passive radiator

And as intuitive as it seems to someone who knows, recap means to replace the capacitors in a piece of gear.

Ray

And the ever popular:
SOL :When you just missed that piece of gear. S...T out of luck.

Not AK specific, but I see/use them quite a bit

SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed ( I used to think this one came from the Personals columns...:D)

PITA: Pain In The A**

Nope! around here, it's racoonin the wooger! :thmbsp:
You just let us all in on the secret handshake.:nono::D

Although googling variations of racoonin and woogers does seem to always point to AK posts. we would have figured it anyway.

FUBAR - fouled up beyond all repair (fouled is the PG version)
SH - sierra hotel - shiite hot

IMHO and YMMV both have a further meaning. "I think I'm right but I better cover my ass".

"Raccooning a wooger" is technically re-coning, not re-foaming.

There's a bit of history to both typos, and their joining. :)

IMNSHO - In My Not So Humble Opinion <- saw that one the other day and had to think twice about it.

I often think of IMHO as "in my honest opinion", instead of "in my humble opinion". That causes trouble when the "not" is added: In my not-so-honest opinion :yikes:? Have to be sure to remember it's "humble"!

"Raccooning a wooger" is technically re-coning, not re-foaming.

Aw, but --history aside-- foaming sounds sexier. It reminds one of that Herb Alpert Whipped Cream cover... and now you REALLY gave away the secret handshake!
:D

OMG, HTF is a poor AKS like me supposed to keep up with ATS. It's enough to DMFC. AI it weren't enough to keep up with all the hifi vocabulary words, now I have to memorize ATBS. HFS!

Back
Top Bottom