AK Lingo

CYA ,CMA, cover you a** , cover my a** BMA bite my a** and the ever present ass/u/me oh no i'm sounding lik a rump ranger

Last edited:
Usually found in the Dollars and Sense forum...

SA. No, not San Antonio. Salvation Army.
GW. No, not George Washington, nor anyone named Bush. Goodwill.
CL. No, not the symbol for chlorine. Craigslist.

Another acronym who's popularity seems to be on the rise here at AK...OP, or Original Poster. The OP of this thread is Ozmoid.:tresbon:

Last edited by a moderator:
OTL: Output TransformerLess - refers to a tube amp with low output impedance tubes that has no output transformer.

There is a term referring to some kind of speaker enclosure type that I can't put my finger on, and I've always wondered what the definition is. Some kind of folded horn loaded with a woofer, I believe. Driving me nuts, now I can't even think of the word I don't know the definition of. Help!

There is a term referring to some kind of speaker enclosure type that I can't put my finger on, and I've always wondered what the definition is. Some kind of folded horn loaded with a woofer, I believe. Driving me nuts, now I can't even think of the word I don't know the definition of. Help!

Is it an acronym like BLH (Back Loaded Horn) or TQWT (Tapered Quarter Wave Tube - a transmission line variant)? Or is it just a name that doesn't make sense?

Ray

Is it an acronym like BLH (Back Loaded Horn) or TQWT (Tapered Quarter Wave Tube - a transmission line variant)? Or is it just a name that doesn't make sense?

Ray

And another... MTM: Mid-tweeter-mid, referring to that driver arrangement on the baffle. (I just had that explained to me at the last Fest. Always learning...)

And BTW, the MTM speakers I heard were also a TL: Transmission Line (an enclosure design) made by RayW. :music:

And another... MTM: Mid-tweeter-mid, referring to that driver arrangement on the baffle.

A nit to add to that one, it is also known as a D'Appolito arrangement named for Joe D'Appolito who took the design mainstream by working out a crossover that fixed problems that had previously plagued the design.

And BTW, the MTM speakers I heard were also a TL: Transmission Line (an enclosure design) made by RayW. :music:

Constantly striving to work as many acronyms as I can into my designs.

Ray

SWAG-------Scientific Wild Ass guess
SET Single ended triode
PLL phase locked loop
AGC automatic gain control

Don't know if I can use the anagram in this forum but "Special High Intensity Training" is what it means. I need as much as I can get.
I don't get much of this from the wife unless it's too loud

DX-ing - I know it has to do with tuning, but I'd like the full definition of DX and the origin, please.:eek:

In every Radio Amateur's glossary, means a distant contact whether listening or transmitting or both. Local radio stations (commercial or amateur) are usually very strong and are no challenge to find. Distant stations may be weak or very weak in signal strength - much more of a challenge to pull-in. On this forum we talk about the abilities of a tuner, low distortion, good frequency response, sensitivity, selectivity - you will want the last two for DX-ing - the more the better. Often amateurs will use the scale 0-5 for signal readability and 0-9 for signal strength, a 5 by 9 DX contact is a very sought after thing - sounding just like a local station :tresbon: but very far away :yes:

Clear ? :D

And some acronyms

RTFM - Read The Freaking Manual - and a common usage "When all else fails RTFM" !
IMVVHO - In My Very Very Humble Opinion - laying it on with a trowel :rolleyes:

Don't get me started on BJT, JFET, VFET, MOSFET et al

John

It once took me a day to realize that Sally Ann = Salvation Army, in reference to a thrift store find.

Back
Top Bottom