AK March Madness brackets. Fill 'em out now!

It's Calhoun vs Calipari in the semi finals. Those two have a history that is not brotherly. Back in the early 90's UMass coached by Calipari and UConn were nationally ranked one and two for most of the season. There was pressure in the New England basketball world for a special playoff game between the two powers. The two teams had a "rivalry" back when both were in the old Yankee Conference. But then UConn went to the Big East and UMass joined the Atlantic 10. Calipari was for it, Calhoun was not. The two reportedly do not like each other and now they meet for the right to go to the NCAA championship game. Vegas odds say Kentucky by two over UConn. I say BS.

Last edited:
Butler in the Final Four for the second year in a row! Being born and raised in Indianapolis, these are exciting times especially since Indiana has been down and out for quite a while.

Every time I think Butler won't go any further, they pull another one off. Those kids are just plain mentally tough. Go Butler! :thmbsp:

agreed. It's probably based on how soundly they beat OSU, who played poorly. If UConn keeps their momentum, and doesn't tire Kemba out, I don't see it happening. Walker, who usually looks like an eggbeater running around without the ball, was so gassed that he was standing motionless at the top of the key with 5 minutes to play against Arizona. Coach Calhoun has to prevent this at all costs if they are to run the table.

It's Calhoun vs Calipari in the semi finals. .... Vegas odds say Kentucky by two over UConn. I say BS.

I hope you are right. That game regrettably will decide our bracket pool here. It would have been fun to see it go til the final game.
Did we ever figure out James Clay's AK moniker?
I was thinking it was Bob_in_OKC, but I realized he was one of the other "Kentucky Pickers".

Oh sure, just for posterity's sake, bump me to LAST place, LOL. :tongue: :D

I was going to do the "Posterity" thing but you can all see your brackets and there is not going to be much more movement since there is only one game left that will count toward positions. Besides, I don't want to upset Spaceman again.:no:
BTW, I didn't bump you to the bottom, your picks did.:yes:

Last edited:
James chimed in on this thread in post #11. I'm Steven Hauk. Looks like the best I can do is a tie for 2nd...needed a Connecticut loss to keep James from passing me.

Latest Vegas Glantz-Culver line on the NCAA winner: Kentucky 8-5, UConn 11-5, Butler 4-1, VCU 7-1. Kentucky has the edge based on their win over #1 overall Ohio State.

Wow, it's impossible to get a good bracket these days. All the teams are too even in talent. Really, a 3, 4, 8 and 11 in the Final Four?

All the games this weekend were really fun to watch though.

Wow, it's impossible to get a good bracket these days. All the teams are too even in talent. Really, a 3, 4, 8 and 11 in the Final Four?

All the games this weekend were really fun to watch though.

+1 on the fun. None of the four games Saturday and Sunday were blowouts. I only wish the two giant killers didn't have to face each other next weekend.

I was looking at the standings at CBS Bracket Challenge. I played the same bracket in that one. Going into Saturday, I was 115th place. At the end of Sunday, I was 1333. I clicked on most of the top 10 and looked at their picks. Lotta folks with 3 of the Final Four picked and their current score in the 90's. Nobody had VCU in the final four. though:scratch2:.

Last edited:
Looks like I am the only one left alive....
fat-lady.jpg

i went to VCU, both undergrad and grad school and have to say that I am shocked..I had never really paid much attention to their teams as back then it was almost completely a fine arts school. I heard from some old friends that Richmond was going CRAZY.

Congrats to my alma mater for making it so far.

Is that a self-portrait? :D ;) I'm glad at least one of us is still going, good luck. :thmbsp:

Golly, I see spaceman is still a little sore about my posting the standings after the third round.:D
This bracket thing that Kevin was good enough to organize made a lot more fun to watch the games. Even though there was nothing at stake, it was a lot more interesting when you had a bracket to refer to and see how everyone did and what you needed to happen in the various rounds and regions.
Congrats and nicely done. I'll take the consolation prize of winning my neighborhood pool since I have both UConn and Butler.
Thanks Jerry/SmoothJazLuvr/Nymanmotiontrio or whatever you are calling yourself today. If you had announced you were picking UConn and Butler as you picks for the finals three weeks ago, it would have induced laughter where now it induces awe.:yes:

Last edited:
If you had announced you were picking UConn and Butler as you picks for the finals three weeks ago, it would have induced laughter where now it induces awe.:yes:

My neighborhood pool was 8 guys with 8 teams so I just ended up with UConn and Butler. I was shocked UConn was still there to pick when it was my second turn and I figured Butler was good for a win or two but I never thought they'd make it this far. Since wins and losses no longer matter I'm rooting for Butler in the final.

Thanks for reminding me to change my name back.

Even though there was nothing at stake, it was a lot more interesting when you had a bracket to refer to and see how everyone did

Agreed. Thanks Kevin for setting it up and I'll be back next year to defend my 7th place finish.

Golly, I see spaceman is still a little sore about my posting the standings after the third round.:D

Not at all, sir. If I was sore, I'd probably be ignoring this thread. ;) Of course I'll be back next year too, it can't get any worse than LAST PLACE, LOL. :D

Not at all, sir. If I was sore, I'd probably be ignoring this thread. ;) Of course I'll be back next year too, it can't get any worse than LAST PLACE, LOL. :D

I just looked at your bracket again. It was not outlandish by any stretch. Just a combination of the wrong long shots and the wrong high seeds. Heck, you had three #1 and one #2 seeds going to the Final Four. Doesn't seem like that would equal a last place finish, but this year it did.:yes: The trick is to pick some of the upsets and not take too much damage from the ones you didn't pick. The secret to that trick is luck, IMHO.

I think the best brackets are usually a little conservative, taking some lumps from the likes of Morehead State and moving on. It often pays to go against the grain in the later rounds, though, because if you pick a 1-seed like Kansas you have even more people to compete against in the end than if you pick someone like Kentucky or UConn. That little bit of a longshot can bring you from behind to 1st if it pans out...just like a Kentucky win yesterday would have worked for someone...James, I think.

... Since wins and losses no longer matter I'm rooting for Butler in the final.
I probably will too. I really wish the NCAA would look at redoing the seeds once the Final Four are established. It is not common to have a #8 and a #11 seed still in it, but it was just wrong to have them playing each other in the semi-final.

Back
Top Bottom