AK really slow page loads now

You're looking at a report of how long it takes packets from your machine to reach and be returned from every router along the way to AK. It looks pretty good. There are a few packets lost in the level3.net network but nothing that I would expect to cause the problems you've been seeing.

When a packet gets lost, it is retransmitted after a short waiting period. The waiting period doubles each time an expected packet is not received. Too many lost packets can result in big delays or unloadable web pages.

I was half expecting/hoping to see problems with that test since Opera-turbo (proxy mode) is working.

The problem you're having seems more like it's at the application (HTTP) layer than the network layer. Don't worry if you don't understand what I'm saying. It still might help someone else. Thanks for running the test.

I'm lovin' it! It's been a long time since I could navigate the site this peppy. :D

vBulletin Message
This forum requires that you wait 10 seconds between searches. Please try again in 7 seconds.

I started having the slow load problem in December 2011. It went from fast load times, to 10 to 20 seconds to load every AK page.

Finally found a fix - Upgraded to Opera version 11.62, and turned on the Turbo feature in Preferences / Webpage. Be sure to set Turbo on, not just automatic.

AK pages now loading in 3 - 4 seconds, which is back to normal for me.

It has gotten to the point that I leave my computer like it was a pc from the 90's and waiting for it to load.

It happens at work home and on my 4G Android phone in a 4g area. Over 30 seconds on the phone and all 5 of my PC's at home and my work machine.

It's pretty slow even worse right now. Rush hour?

All 3 providers (verizon, comcast and cbeyond 20gb metro ethernet)
It is not me!!:no:

It has gotten to the point that I leave my computer like it was a pc from the 90's and waiting for it to load.

It happens at work home and on my 4G Android phone in a 4g area. Over 30 seconds on the phone and all 5 of my PC's at home and my work machine.

It's pretty slow even worse right now. Rush hour?

All 3 providers (verizon, comcast and cbeyond 20gb metro ethernet)
It is not me!!:no:
When did this begin happening to you?

It has gotten worse over the last few days. Today has been to the point I have opened all 3 of my browsers and all with the same problem.

Might be a hosting bottleneck or throttling of useage.:scratch2:

It has gotten worse over the last few days. Today has been to the point I have opened all 3 of my browsers and all with the same problem.

Might be a hosting bottleneck or throttling of useage.:scratch2:

If one goes back and reads this thread in it's entirety they will have a better grasp (if that's possible) on this deal.

Having "survived" this issue (I was affected for 4+ months) and seeing that the symptoms continue now lead me more toward your suggested "it's not me" premise.

It's very puzzling and we may never know what the actual cause is/was. But for now, all we have at our disposal is to apply is some very simplistic Sherlock reasoning.

Given the random yet continuing nondiscriminatory instances here's my deductions:

1. It's most likely not a browser specific issue.
2. It's most likely not a user's ISP issue.
3. It only affects traffic from (not to) the AK box proper (not a general host problem as other sites hosted there do fine)

From what I experienced and continue to see here....It could indeed be a faulty/failing drive or corrupt database on the AK box and/or buggered load balancing on their host's part.

Last edited:
I've been slow on here for the last year or so, but there was 1 day just a few days ago that I suddenly sped up and pages were loading normally. I did not change anything, it just sped up, but then they slowed back down. I don't know what the problem is, but it's weird how it affects some people and others are fine.

Could it possibly be a tiered ISP thing- forum sites on a lower bandwidth tier for some, not for others? That could explain why is is variable among users. :scratch2:

But then again, it comes and goes for me, using the same ISP. :naughty:

I guess that I have no answer. :dunno:

<<5:58 edit: sped up for the 5:53-5:57AM time frame, now slow again. No browser change, no ISP change, no computer/OS change>>

Last edited:
it was me editing a post ...well it happened at that time and has in the past a few times ..thinks its just my luck though ..i dunno its all good again

Lag 'n' load.........takes 20-30 secs to react.

I have been having the same problem for the last couple of months with RoadRunner Lightning. Theres a really long lag time, then the page will load quickly; everything is fast if I use the LTE connection on my phone...

Here is a traceroute:
S.png

If one goes back and reads this thread in it's entirety they will have a better grasp (if that's possible) on this deal.

Having "survived" this issue (I was affected for 4+ months) and seeing that the symptoms continue now lead me more toward your suggested "it's not me" premise.

It's very puzzling and we may never know what the actual cause is/was. But for now, all we have at our disposal is to apply is some very simplistic Sherlock reasoning.

Given the random yet continuing nondiscriminatory instances here's my deductions:

1. It's most likely not a browser specific issue.
2. It's most likely not a user's ISP issue.
3. It only affects traffic from (not to) the AK box proper (not a general host problem as other sites hosted there do fine)

From what I experienced and continue to see here....It could indeed be a faulty/failing drive or corrupt database on the AK box and/or buggered load balancing on their host's part.

AK has been slow for me for several months, probably since May as many other people reported. I thought it might just go away and would try several times a month but it has never gone back to normal. All page loads are taking about 30 sec. Problem is in Chrome, IE9 and Opera, I removed Opera when I went to Chrome and did not try turbo mode.

It sure would be nice to get this back to normal.

I never got any help from my IP (Fairpoint) for many months. I switched to a local wireless company when I dropped my land line 2 months ago,and have zero problems with AK now.:DPlenty fine to be back to normal.
edit: I use Start page now instead of Google.I wish I would have tried this before my switch to Seamless Data Systems wireless,but not sure it would made a difference.I used a proxy web browser and Google back then,and AK was fine.AK went back to normal when I switched my IP, and I noticed no difference when I installed Start page browser.
So...I wonder if someone with a "slow" AK would try the Startpage browser and report back?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom