AK really slow page loads now

I have been experiencing the 30 second loads for the last week or so. I leave the site pretty fast now as its way to slow to enjoy. Googleads

Last edited:
How I solved the problem.

I confirmed its googleads which is always given precedence over the forum information.

Block those ads in the hosts file and the server is free to laod the forum info
127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

Ads ... your server is waiting to serve its users but the ad servers hold up everything. Nice huh?

Last edited:

I confirmed its googleads which is always given precedence over the forum information.

Ads ... your server is waiting to serve its users but the ad servers hold up everything. Nice huh?

Thanks! Worked for me! Used Terminal for the first time on my first Mac. Hate vi, but glad it's there.

Any others? A long list of garbage-spewers to avoid with little downside?

Thanks again.

:thmbsp:

Microsoft all so reserves 20 % of your bandwith for updates, and you can fix that :thmbsp: this site is as fast as any i visit

How do I go about doing this?

Sorry this is an old thread, but AK is still slow as molasses.

Funny thing is, I tried 2 different ISPs, one is at work which is Fiber, and one is Cable. North Carolina/Georgia area. I used to live in the TWC ISP area of ohio, and it worked fine then.

So I RDPd back to a server in ohio and AK loads fast and fine. So there is a hop borked somewhere in the states. Since the issue only resides with AK and VK for me, that tells me the host has multiple router hops from different areas, and one of them is bad or slow.

so, depending on which direction the request is coming from, will depend on which router it hits. Fast or slow... The problem resides in one of the datacenters and they havent caught up with it. From the little bit of testing I have performed, it seems to be a particular hop through Cogent.

So there ya go.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there's a fix for this in the thread but I was have severe lag on flash heavy sites like AK and eBay (the ads ... man, we pay for subscriptions, can't subscribes be AD free?) .

There's a Flash script that is the root of the cause, I believe, and you have to disable it from running. This greatly restored Chrome back to it's lightning quick pace

may want to try something like Google Namebench to benchmark the servers you use for best speed and bandwidth. You don't have to use the default DNS servers that your ISP or modem routers use.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16372/find-a-faster-dns-server-with-namebench/

I'm not sure if there's a fix for this in the thread but I was have severe lag on flash heavy sites like AK and eBay (the ads ... man, we pay for subscriptions, can't subscribes be AD free?) .

There's a Flash script that is the root of the cause, I believe, and you have to disable it from running. This greatly restored Chrome back to it's lightning quick pace

Good to know. Can you describe how to do that?

Also, I use an adblock software that helps by cutting/blocking out ads for me. I compensate by being a subscriber and donating to AK, as well as using the specific vendors I like. I also have to remember to use the Ebay link so AK gets some of my Ebay business. Do they have something similar with Amazon?

may want to try something like Google Namebench to benchmark the servers you use for best speed and bandwidth. You don't have to use the default DNS servers that your ISP or modem routers use.

Also, I use an adblock software that helps by cutting/blocking out ads for me. I compensate by being a subscriber and donating to AK, as well as using the specific vendors I like. I also have to remember to use the Ebay link so AK gets some of my Ebay business. Do they have something similar with Amazon?

I guess I should say I was having a Flash issue and this fixed it ... I think I had to re install Flash after I disabled this.... it's all described in the link. The fix is the first troubleshooting measure in the article, they also recommend doing ordinary maintenance tasks http://www.howtogeek.com/103292/how-to-fix-shockwave-flash-crashes-in-google-chrome/

I know nothing about IT issues so take my advice with a grain of salt

Yes we do sir. Here is a thread with many of our affiliate links http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/new-affiliates-of-audiokarma.268576/ The Amazon link is right at the top. Thanks for your consideration.

grumpy

Well for me it is NOT a flash script, I have all that crap disabled. "Autoplaying" videos and ads killed it for me.

I have had this problem for over a year now, all of the sudden one day, AK slowed to a crawl, only AK slowed, www.videokarma.org works perfectly. First I want you to try This proxy server or any proxy will do, I'm willing to bet AK works fast with a proxy, but, the problem with proxys is they don't always render the site properly so IF the proxy server made AK fast again, you can download "OPERA" web browser and install it, Opera has a feature called Opera "Turbo"
" Opera Turbo Mode is a new feature in Opera 10 Browser that allows a page to load much faster by compressing the image. When this mode is enabled, Opera’s servers will compress the images and other graphic elements from a webpage and send them to your browser, resulting in a faster load time. It is suitable for those users who are using a slow internet connection, such as dial-up or are using a crowded Wi-Fi connection."

Turbo is "not" turned on by default,>> click on menu at top left of screen,>> click on turbo, then try AK. The only reason I am still here at AK, is because of Opera, nothing else has worked. :(
Note: turbo will slow down fast sites so only use on slow sites.

Good Luck

Older post, but you can put this sort of thing in some routers and firewalls too. Another possibility is to set your DNS server info in the router/firewall to an ad-blocking DNS. I'm currently experimenting with the latter using "Alternate DNS" addresses.

Back
Top Bottom