AK Retiree Club

parman

Music Junkie
I'm retiring this week and know that I seen lots of members posting who are retired so I thought about giving this a shot. I thought we could talk about what we're doing with our time and share a few ideas with each other. I'd like to hear about favorite travel destinations, your life since you left the daily grind, activities and hobbies besides audio. Maybe tip each other off on how you make a few bucks on the side ;)
I just turned 65, I'll be getting SS and a pension + I have a 401 so things should be pretty good. The wife wants to work a little longer so I said HAVE AT IT BABE! LOL. I hope to start having a little more fun by not just having weekends for leasure. I'll be leaving for a beach vacation shortly and plan on starting a new life!
Anyone else new to retiring? How about some long timers perspective :beerchug:

Congratulations!

I have 350 some days before I pull the trigger. Did you sign up for Medicare online? Other health insurance? The guy that I had paint parts of my house is 69 and he pays $180/month - had heart surgery and paid $15 copay for the $30,000 procedure. Any other helpful ideas for this part of retirement is appreciated. Just planning ahead. House is paid for, IRA, 401K, small pension, etc.

I retired in April at age 63 and have a pretty good pension, shared health care costs and free dental. I also have a 403B (401K for public sector folks) which will come in handy. I'm not sure when I'll start taking Social Security, but probably at 66.

I have spent a lot of time on projects around the house -- organizing/clearing out the basement, taming the big yard, petting the cat. I've also ramped up my volunteer activities at a local thrift store, the friends of the local library and schools. My wife teaches first grade so I helped at the end of last year and helped get her room ready for this school year. I also make her lunch every day and do more of the cooking (I've always done most of the shopping). She'll work at least until next June, maybe a year after that.

One thing I really like is being able to run errands when I want to, not having to wait for the weekend when everyone else is doing the same thing. I've also expanded my home exercise program (originally just physical therapy stuff to recover from shoulder surgery) and actually enjoy getting tortured by my physical trainer twice a week. I'm paying more attention to what I eat and have lost 10 pounds. I'm stronger and more fit than I have been in many years -- I want to enjoy this retirement gig as long as possible.

I'm also looking to start my own business, doing writing and editing for start-ups here in the SF area.

Other health insurance? The guy that I had paint parts of my house is 69 and he pays $180/month - had heart surgery and paid $15 copay for the $30,000 procedure

Do please share with us his secrets. The biggest battle I will be facing is Medicare/supplements.I'll be 66 in Feb and still working by choice.

Thinking about taking up base jumping ...

topelement.jpg

Or maybe run with the bulls ...

images

... or not.

I find myself doing pretty much the same things I always did. Difference is, I have more time to do it right.

Will look at it in the spring, but no more than 1/1/2020. Could probably do it now, but a bit scared. Wife is 12years younger than me, so medical insurance is going to be a real issue. Lucky I have a job that pretty much let’s me go where and when I want.

Health insurance is a huge cost if you don't have a carryover plan from work or are 65 and Medicare eligible. If you're 62ish and planning on taking your Social Security, open market health insurance or COBRA could easily eat up half or more if your SS benefit.

I'll be 66 next week and started my SS benefit in May while continuing to work full time as special rules for you full retirement age year allow me to not be penalized for my wages. I'll probably work at least 5 more years as we have some school loans for the kids we need to cover, but at least 3 for sure until my wife is Medicare covered.

I see some of you mention exercise, that is something I've always done but I've been doing less and less the last 5 years or so. I plan getting into it more now and doing it earllier in the day when I have more energy. I've delt with some back issues so I'd really like to work on my core strength and flexibility.

I see some of you mention exercise, that is something I've always done but I've been doing less and less the last 5 years or so. I plan getting into it more now and doing it earllier in the day when I have more energy. I've delt with some back issues so I'd really like to work on my core strength and flexibility.
If you are serious do Restorative/Yin Yoga. It's super gentle and once you get better do Vinyasa and or Slow Flow. It works.

I'll be 60 in December. I haven't had a 9-5 job in 9 years and have been kinda semi-retired. But I'm an artist and artists don't retire. I'll be painting, doing more photography and some design work. Currently, I'm working on some design and art for Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club on Oahu and stuff for another new resort in Southern California. I've been doing fun work.

I'm leaving Silicon Valley, California and moving to Maui, next week. My house needs a lot of fixing up, but I intend to be playing in the ocean a whole lot more. Surfing, diving, fishing, sailing, swimming. I'm divorced and single, so I can pretty much do whatever I want as long as I don't kill myself or get arrested.

I'll be visiting my daughter in NYC, in the fall. Depending on the weather, I hope to hop across the pond to Southern Europe, Northern Africa, the Mediterranean and make my way to Istanbul. I'm flying, taking the train, the bus, ferries and anything that moves. The site https://www.rome2rio.com, while not 100% accurate will give you cheap and good alternatives to getting around. I found another site that connects you to stay for free places with meals, in return for helping out with some work. I found a couple of surf schools in Lisbon and Malta that need web and design work. Some places even pay. Work some, surf, be a tourist, eat, sleep and repeat.

Stocks have regained their groove the last couple of days and are doing really good. Almost to good, starting to worry. I bought some marijuanas stock, recently and it went up 30% in one day before it settled down at 25%. AMD is up 141% since last December. How much does a savings account get, 1.9%? I have partly AK to thank for this. Years ago, AK had a Stock Market Game, through one of the trading firms. Real stocks, real-time trading, but play money. We all started with 100K. I won the game with 400K+ or so at the end of 6 months. My picks aren't always winners, but I'm ahead.

So if all goes well, that will take care of the rest of 2018.

I'm in semi-seclusion re: the labour force, providing consulting @ 25-50% FT basis, depending on tasks @ hand, although the % of time I dedicate to "work" is largely my own choice.

I have found that semi-retirement is a boon to my weight room activities, @ my sixth decade powerlifting and "general" lifting w/ more strength & endurance than @ any other time of my life. I have time to better focus on and ingest dietary elements most beneficial to strength development and/or retention.

I also have more free time for reading and, in some instances, re-reading, various works of literature (English, French, and Russian), such non-fiction as memoirs, biographies, histories, language arts/theory (linguistics), economics (re-reading @ present Piketty's 2013 masterwork Capital in the Twenty-First Century), and more.

Is there space in zee club for we who are @ the labour market for just a fraction of our time?

[QUOTE="Mystic, post:

Is there space in zee club for we who are @ the labour market for just a fraction of our time?[/QUOTE]
Oh Hells yes!

Stocks have regained their groove the last couple of days and are doing really good. Almost to good, starting to worry. I bought some marijuanas stock, recently and it went up 30% in one day before it settled down at 25%. AMD is up 141% since last December. How much does a savings account get, 1.9%? I have partly AK to thank for this. Years ago, AK had a Stock Market Game, through one of the trading firms. Real stocks, real-time trading, but play money. We all started with 100K. I won the game with 400K+ or so at the end of 6 months. My picks aren't always winners, but I'm ahead.

So if all goes well, that will take care of the rest of 2018.
A buddy of mine keeps telling me to put money in a pot stock called Canopy Crop, I guess it's going crazy but now most of my money is pretty conservative and I doubt my investment woman would be on board with that move.:(

I had more time to do stuff around the house and since wifey likes a lush garden lately it seems that I've been outside in killer humidity and heat. She is still working and i've been doing typical "house hubby" duties.

It's good and bad (like all things). I do miss the extra cash but in another sense I'm also saving money as well. Glad to be out of the rat race.

After retiring I was blessed to find this wonderful place to start my audio obsession once again. I never looked back & also was able to enjoy more time with my now beloved Carolyn, family, & friends.

Enjoy each day & be thankful for all the wonderful blessings you have big & small!

Rome

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom