1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

AK Retiree Club

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by parman, Aug 27, 2018.

1. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

I spent most of the day watching a real nasty hurricane on the online radar. All I can say is the great majority of those on the Wester Florida Gulf Coast were very lucky today, myself included. I have not yet seen the pic from the Panhandle yet, but I know they are going to be horrible.

Bill Ferris and Leland47 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

So is mine parman..

3. onepixel

onepixel .

That's great!

Up until about two weeks ago my portfolio was doing great since last fall. Some of it's adjusting, some due to the trade wars and politics. I'm back to where I was in June.

4. elcoholic

elcoholic Jet Fuel Genius Subscriber

Got a text from an old coworker friend while I was taking a break at the pier. He is still working as an IC at Verizon Wireless. He was getting a pen from the supply room and found this:
    fullsizeoutput_894.jpeg
    This is one of my old business card boxes from my PacTel Cell / AirTouch days (10 years). These boxes always made great desk drawer organizers. (I flipped the pic to make it easy to read.) I picked out that mobile number for my house account when cell phones were still analog. That was a really easy number to remember which was important when the new hot phone (Motorola MicroTac) only had a 10 number speed dial register. The crazy thing is I voluntarily left AirTouch in December of 2000 right before the Verizon joint venture started which was officially the end of the good old days in wireless.
    Some how that box got from my desk to that supply room and has survived for 18 years.

Leland47 and parman like this.
  5. parman

parman I Got The Spirit Subscriber

I see you're not that far from the coast, how strong was the wind at your place?

6. KingBubba

I'm serious when I say West Coast Florida was lucky. The wind here was 8-10 mph at most and the rain amounted to less than a drizzle. It was just a gray day and was good for a nap around 4pm. We are most grateful in our household. My wife didn't even have to miss bingo tonight and I am cranking some Tony Rice, who is not a favorite of my wife.

Leland47, elcoholic and parman like this.

7. parman

United Artists, 1969 UAS 6702.jpg
    Traffic~Last Exit
    United Artists, 1969

side 2 :smoke:

Leland47 likes this.
  8. elcoholic

Parman, this wonderful, wandering, rambling thread is now going retiree playlist - nice. Fun too.
    IMG_1545.JPG
    It's been a while since I plumbed this deeply funky record. :smoke:

parman likes this.
  9. parman

@KingBubba started it, he said he was cranking some Tony Rice I just jumped on board

10. elcoholic

That KingBubba has some impressive moves for a snail. Smooth.

parman likes this.
  11. onepixel

onepixel .

I have some Apple stocks from 2003. With the splits it comes out to 14,035% Total gain. Overall it's at 260%. I bought more this year.

Stocks in just one year.
    AMD is down considerably, but since last December it's at 141%
    The pot stocks in two months is at 160%. It briefly peaked at over 400%.
    The one that is killing me is JD.com it was up 30% in two weeks. Then the trade wars started. It's -44%.
    Everything else is all over the map.

I'm doing alright and haven't touched a cent either. But you can't take it with you...

Bill Ferris likes this.

12. KingBubba

Tony Rice is a personal favorite of mine. I came across a video of a bluegrass festival a few years back. I had never heard of him and I was actually looking for Doc Watson. This festival video had both. I was greatly impressed with Tony's expertise on the guitar. The way he plays is how I wanted to play when I was in high school, but I did not have the natural talent. Any playing for me was stressed and lacking rhythm. I finally gave up in college.

This week was hurtful to my account also. I have learned to take a deep breath and work my plan. I leave emotions at the door.

RT Fan likes this.
  13. onepixel

onepixel .

I saw some news on Mexico Beach. It looked devastated. Glad you guys are safe.

Bill Ferris and Ballylongford like this.
  14. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

15. elcoholic

Do you have The Pizza Tapes?

16. KingBubba

Yes.

elcoholic likes this.

17. elcoholic

Wednesday night is coffee night at Kean's in Newport with a couple of buddies. Steve brought his just completed CAV replica GT40 out last night. First time I've seen it outside his shop.
    fullsizeoutput_896.jpeg

I love this intake setup. The Weber stacks are just handling air intake. Nicely concealed EFI handles the fuel metering.
    72F5A427-EA9B-4708-AD23-890717ECF5FE.jpeg

bluesky, parman and onepixel like this.
  18. onepixel

onepixel .

Not all fun and games. View looking up at the house from the middle of the lower backyard. That stuff is waist high. Once that stuff is gone, I'm putting in a vegetable garden. I'm almost done with the upper backyard. The section between the upper and lower section is still a mess. I need to rebuild the stairs, which is overgrown. I topped off about 9 feet of the red flowering bougainvillea and trimmed the macadamia nut tree to the left. Still needs more trimming and I need to pick up thousands of nuts.

_CMY0669.jpg

19. parman

OH Hell. I thought it was a picture of your pot stocks. Maui Wowie!
    Next months election features a proposal to leagalize it here, they say it's gonna pass :dunno:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Bill Ferris likes this.
  20. parman