AK Retiree Club

I'm in semi-seclusion re: the labour force, providing consulting @ 25-50% FT basis, depending on tasks @ hand, although the % of time I dedicate to "work" is largely my own choice.

The problem with "semi retirement" is that it can turn into no retirement at all. Friend of mine's wife was holding off on retiring from her job till he retired, and it wasn't long after he started doing the consulting and training thing. A couple years later, and that's turned almost full time now. Needless to say, she ain't all that happy about the situation what with him jetting around the country and her sitting at home ... grrrrrrrrr ...

Congratulations on your retirement, Mike! :thumbsup: That will give you plenty of time to spin your records! ;) Now you'll have more time to hit the thrift stores! ;) You can also crank up the volume louder now! ;)

tumblr_mh1w6zdhR31qizhaoo1_250.gif

I'd like into the club!

Retired Jan 2015, 55yrs old at the time.

Married to a wonderfully financially savvy saver, like me.

Spend my days doing what I want. Have done a lot of local exploration, getting that long list of home repairs/improvements done, some gardening, lots of bbq'ing.

And I'm training to be a tracker with the San Diego Tracking Team. It's all volunteer, gets me out of the house several times a month and into the dirt. Fascinating learning process for a good cause, too.

Oh, and more time for the audio/music thing, too! :beerchug:

^Tracking Team?? I take it you're not talking about running
Critters.

Being able to identify animals by tracks, scat, browse, dens, lays, etc

The tracking team collects data on transects (surveys) which we do quarterly in over 30 different areas in the county.

The data is available for research, urban planning, environmental impact studies, etc.

But mostly its educational to instantly spot a track and know what it is.

About a month ago, I realized I was really retired when I occasionally lost track of what day of the week it was.

I realize it may not be for everyone, but I recommend contacting a local high school or community college and seeing they have opportunities for mentoring students. I work with a high school that is 98% minority, 81% economically disadvantaged and has a 75% graduation rate. Spending some time talking to students about your experiences, career path, training, education can help them make better choices as they realize the options they have. Sometimes an hour or two can be very helpful.

I'm retiring this week and know that I seen lots of members posting who are retired so I thought about giving this a shot. I thought we could talk about what we're doing with our time and share a few ideas with each other. I'd like to hear about favorite travel destinations, your life since you left the daily grind, activities and hobbies besides audio. Maybe tip each other off on how you make a few bucks on the side ;)
I just turned 65, I'll be getting SS and a pension + I have a 401 so things should be pretty good. The wife wants to work a little longer so I said HAVE AT IT BABE! LOL. I hope to start having a little more fun by not just having weekends for leasure. I'll be leaving for a beach vacation shortly and plan on starting a new life!
Anyone else new to retiring? How about some long timers perspective :beerchug:
Just a great idea for a thread parman! and Congratulations! Hope you pitched your alarm clock, or otherwise temporarily disabled it.. :)

I am retired, now at age 63 and I have been for 12 years now! Still have ample to live on even though we are sinking a fair bit of it into finishing a house I have been working on.. I originally started drawing my union pension at 50 and then came out of retirement and worked another year at 51 and then that was it until about 3 years ago I got a letter from the union allowing me to "double dip" for a short time working 6-10's on a job that they were short handed on.. I worked 2 months and bailed..

My theory, outlook or whatever you want to call it is this. Retirement is a gamble.. It can always go wrong, the pension plans can go broke, SS could be taken away too I suppose, but is it any less of a gamble to keep working (there is a reason they call it work and not fun you know!) I had a specific plan, I wanted out from work, and was willing to cut a few dreams out of the bucket list in order to do it. No huge diesel pusher motorhomes, no flying around the world every year, no monster pleasure boats etc.

However we have managed to fly to Hawaii for a few weeks in the winter, I have a little 8 foot cabover pickup truck camper that we travel around northern Canada and Alaska, and I built a very seaworthy 20' boat that I can run out in the fjords around here. And I have my audio stuff to play in the evening which I am very happy with.

I guess what I am saying is if you are really getting burned out at work, but are fearful that there won't be enough to sustain you, get a modest plan of the really important things, how much that will cost and if it seems doable, at least for the next 20 years, I would just go for it! Like Morrison said in Roadhouse Blues, something like "Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel.. The future is uncertain and the end is always near"! :banana:or :whip:the choice is there for most to take!

A buddy of mine keeps telling me to put money in a pot stock called Canopy Crop, I guess it's going crazy but now most of my money is pretty conservative and I doubt my investment woman would be on board with that move.:(
My stoner stocks took a dump today. lol. Probably because they are Canadian companies. Stupid politics and trade policies are one thing that will mess you up. I don't have Canopy, but they took a big hit today after cruising along at all time high. But it's still buzzing. :)

Gotta go for the long run and start now. Don't wait till you're to old to party!

Last edited:
I love the ocean. One thing I did, couple months ago was go on an eco-tour on World Oceans Day. Took water samples and checked for micro-plastics under a microscope, checked and cleaned the reef. I like volunteering... so more beach clean ups. It's a great way to get out, meet like minded people and do some good. Hawaiian beaches have gotten really clean.

Do something good and you can have fun doing it.

And get out of the mind set of "retirement." It's a life style, change.

Last edited:
Congrats to all who are enjoying retirement. I plan to become a member of this group maybe as early as November, and no later than 11/2019, when I turn 65. I have good inexpensive health insurance and 33 days of PTO every fiscal year. I look forward to retirement but find myself getting somewhat bored and restless now while on vacation.

However when I do have any day available to do what I want, it will be easier to join scheduled activities and get back into going to church. My job in retail means varying work days each week, due to so many others in my department who have as much PTO as I do. Recently injured my left knee a bit but it is better. Made me realize quickly how good health and good physical condition can be here one minute and gone the next.

Last edited:
Just turned 68 Sunday. Sold the business/home property after 32 years.

Just got my new business license in a town a few miles from here. Gotta have something to do!!

Back
Top Bottom